Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How many have reverted back to TT2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How many have reverted back to TT2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: How many have reverted back to TT2? Reply with quote

I'm just glad I was an upgrade customer , I've got a backout plan! I suppose those who have only ever known TT3 will be fairly happy though Smile Will TT2 become a sought after eBay item? Twisted Evil

Dave.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impression I got from the TomTom support site (in the FAQ about those whose upgrade orders had failed) is that once you've ordered a Navigator 3 upgrade using a Navigator 2 Product Code, you can't then use the Navigator 2 code to activate new Pocket PCs.

In other words, once you've ordered an upgrade, your old copy of Navigator 2 can be used on any Pocket PCs you'd already activated, but if you sell it, the buyer can't use it unless you also sell your Pocket PC.

That said, I've just entered my Navigator 2 Product Code into www.ttcode.com and it asked me for a device code as if it was going to let me activate another machine. I don't have another Pocket PC to hand to activate, so I can't try it.

I presume you're referring to the address lookup issue in Navigator 3 - or possibly the crashing issues that various Bluetooth GPS users still seem to be suffering from. There are many improvements in Navigator 3 (the maps themselves are better) and I suspect that any remaining stability issues will be sorted in time (early builds of Navigator 2 had problems - 2.05 was a lot better than 2.02, whilst 2.22 was much better still).

The big problem for many is definitely with address lookup, which can only be sorted by TomTom releasing replacement maps.

David
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reselling TT Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The impression I got from the TomTom support site (in the FAQ about those whose upgrade orders had failed) is that once you've ordered a Navigator 3 upgrade using a Navigator 2 Product Code, you can't then use the Navigator 2 code to activate new Pocket PCs.

David

I cannot see how they can do this, as having purchased the software leagally, you have a right to sell it and for it to work. The other question is will the TT3 upgrade ask for the TT2 disks first, so if selling, do you have to sell both the TT2 and the TT3 upgrade?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cannot see how they can do this, as having purchased the software leagally, you have a right to sell it and for it to work. The other question is will the TT3 upgrade ask for the TT2 disks first, so if selling, do you have to sell both the TT2 and the TT3 upgrade?

If you buy it as an upgrade at an upgrade price, the licence surely transfers form one product to the other. I'm sure that you can't sell the one and carry on using the other unless you've paid full purchase price on both products.

When I upgraded from SmartST V1.x to V2.x, I had to give them the V1 discs back. I appreciate that mine was, perhaps, a special case (which I'm not at liberty to divulge) but in Navman's case it was possibly due to their changing from NavTech to TeleAtlas data
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you obtained TTN3 using a discounted Upgrade option TomTom are within their rights to revoke the TTN2 licence. This sort of policy is common for software upgrades.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navigator 3 upgrade doesn't ask for the Navigator 2 discs or product code. However, I'm in agreement with other posters - I can't find anything explicit in the upgrade licence agreement that says your copy of Navigator 2 is not transferable, but it is common practice to prohibit transfer of software that was used to qualify an upgrade without also transferring the newer software version you upgraded to. I would assume that the Navigator 2 and Navigator 3 Upgrade packs should remain together.

I'm a little surprised that TomTom weren't more explicit in their licence agreements over this point.

TomTom know what Navigator 2 product codes have been used to upgrade to Navigator 3; they prevent them from being used to qualify another upgrade. It would not seem too unreasonable to me if they go on to prevent product codes used to qualify upgrades from activating Navigator 2 on new Pocket PCs.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy, I for one have reverted back to TTN2. I find the address look-up on TTN3 totally unacceptable. You have just got to read the numerous posts on this forum to confirm the many many problems people are experiencing to realise that a major cock-up has occurred! These problems are being added to on a daily basis. At the end of the day it's a matter of personal opinion. Many users are quite happy with TTN3 and others maybe consider the updated maps and itinerary feature of TTN3 to outweigh the address look-up problems. To me, personally, this is the must fundamental requirement of a SatNav system so I will continue to use TTN2 until (if ever) these problems are addressed by TomTom.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally haven't had any serious issues with the address look up but recognise that a problem does exist. However I use the free UKPostCode plug-in from Digitools which means that this is not an issue.

It could be the solution for many experiencing problems and is far easier to use too, its one of those tools that TomTom should have built in to TTNav in the first place, see http://www.digitools.co.uk/home.php .
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I quite agree with you - the postcode feature by Digitools is a first class addition to TTN and I use it extensively, as I am sure many others on this forum do also. Granted if you have the full post code then you can just type it straight into the entry field and get an accurate route planned for you thus by-passing the need to deal with the diabolical address look- up of TTN3. Problem is that in many cases people don't have the postcode and have to rely on the Town/City then Street then Number scenario - and that is where the problems have been occurring which I don't need to repeat here as there are countless individual examples on various posts on this forum. For me, TTN2+UkPostCode is a better option than TTN3, even though TTN3 has the advantage of updated maps and the itinerary planner. If TTN3 had the same address look-up method as TTN2 then I would be a very happy bunny - perhaps TomTom are already working on a solution to the problem - no one will be happier than myself if they sorth this out as I am a great fan of TTN - I just think they have shot themselves in the foot!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: