Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One XL - how many versions are there?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One XL - how many versions are there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holtyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: TomTom One XL - how many versions are there? Reply with quote

Thinking of purchasing a One XL Europe off eBay and wondered if there's anything I need to be wary of in terms of early versions of this unit that TomTom have released?

Also is there any real functional difference if I was to buy a UK version and then add a Euro SD card to buying the all-in offering?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL comes in 2 flavours, one with 512MB of memory, the other with 1GB. It depends on which Map is included, ie. UK or Europe.

There are no earlier models at the current time.

Technically the Euro Map on an SD Card will work with a UK Device, but there have been reports that TT are blocking this functionality with Devices.

The price of the Europe Map, if bought at a later time is roughly twice the price difference of the XL Regional and XL Europe. So would be cheaper to get Europe.

If buying off EBay be careful that you can create an Account at TT, to be able to follow any upgrade path.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The XL comes in 2 flavours, one with 512MB of memory, the other with 1GB. It depends on which Map is included, ie. UK or Europe.

There are no earlier models at the current time.

Erm... if you're buying off eBay, there WERE earlier models, with just an SD card slot and no internal memory. Newer models have internal flash memory and a card slot (empty, as supplied).

I don't have the FULL details (no-one with a old and a new 'Europe' model has contacted me) but these are the model numbers I do know:

TomTom One XL (regional, with no flash memory) Supplied with UK and Eire on a 240MB SD card: 4S00.006
TomTom One XL (regional, with 512mb built-in memory. GB map installed): 4S00.007
TomTom One XL (Europe): 4S00.000

(Taken from my fuller list HERE)

If anyone can help fill in the gaps, I'd appreciate it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
... there WERE earlier models, with just an SD card slot and no internal memory. Newer models have internal flash memory and a card slot (empty, as supplied).
They must have been short lived. Shocked

I must have blinked, ..... or dozed o.........

Again. Rolling Eyes

franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
... there WERE earlier models, with just an SD card slot and no internal memory. Newer models have internal flash memory and a card slot (empty, as supplied).

Again. Rolling Eyes

XL's never had internal memory till quite recently(ish).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
XL's never had internal memory till quite recently(ish).
Mine had 1GB of internal Flash memory from day one (which was a considerable time ago) - I think the regional ones have switched from SD card to 512MB flash more recently, so there is a chance there are a few of the older SD Card memory only devices on the shelf depending upon where you shop - Mike
Holtyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the guidance.

Regarding Richard's comment about being careful that you can create a TT Account when buying a 2nd hand unit on eBay, what are the precautions that can be taken to avoid problems with this?
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:

Again. Rolling Eyes

My one XL was bought Oct 2007 and has no internal memory, UK maps supplied on a 256 mbyte SD card.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XL is a 4S00.006 (SD card, no internal memory) with UK+Ireland maps bought around July 07 (same as georgemac). I have since upgraded to the Western Europe map on a bigger SD card with no problems.

I already had v660 map for the Palm which I was able to move across with TT's help so had no requirement to buy a Europe version - would have otherwise.

Looking at the manual (yes, really), it says it's for the 4S00.000 (1Gb internal?), 4S00.006 (no internal) and 4S00.007 (512Mb internal) models so all three versions were known about at that time.
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holtyboy wrote:
Regarding Richard's comment about being careful that you can create a TT Account when buying a 2nd hand unit on eBay, what are the precautions that can be taken to avoid problems with this?
If it's never been connected to HOME for updating, then there is no problem.

However, if the unit has been upgraded with HOME, then it will be tied to the Account that was created to be able to do the updating.

Somehow you would then have to change the email address that is linked to that account, so that you can benefit from any future updates.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Georgemac.... can you quote the 4S00.xxx numbers for yours?

Gerry, thanks for that info... That matches what I had so far, so do we think there have only been these three models of XL?
4S00.000 (1Gb internal) - Europe
4S00.006 (no internal) - Regional, and
4S00.007 (512Mb internal) - Regional
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4S00.000 and it has/ had 1GB of internal Flash memory, I have to use it with an SD card these days though as the Flash memory disapeared a while ago Shocked - Mike
Holtyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Registering 2nd hand TT to a new email address Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

However, if the unit has been upgraded with HOME, then it will be tied to the Account that was created to be able to do the updating. Somehow you would then have to change the email address that is linked to that account, so that you can benefit from any future updates.

Does anybody know if it's actually possible to re-register a 2nd hand TomTom to a new email address to take advantage of the online services? If possible does this have to be done with the co-operation of the previous owner?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering 2nd hand TT to a new email address Reply with quote

Holtyboy wrote:
Does anybody know if it's actually possible to re-register a 2nd hand TomTom to a new email address to take advantage of the online services? If possible does this have to be done with the co-operation of the previous owner?

I haven't tried but I suspect not. This would stop thieves being able to update a stolen unit etc.
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering 2nd hand TT to a new email address Reply with quote

Holtyboy wrote:
Yes, it is possible. When I changed email addresses I logged on as normal, then changed it to my new details. I now use the new details.

It does require the co-operation of both parties to make a smooth transition.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: