Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Struggling with this GPS stuff!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling with this GPS stuff!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Struggling with this GPS stuff!!!! Reply with quote

I feel I'm not doing very well. I have my Garmin GPS, my Tracklog OS maps on my Laptop, my memory cards in the GPS, and lots of enthusiasm!! However, I'm still having problems making them all work together to form a well oiled machine.

Here's my problems:

1. made route on os map and sent it to gps - no probs
2. went out for walk using said route - no probs
3. loaded tracks back to os map on pc - after much fiddling, got rid of errors in mapping software and got the things talking to each other in the same language. Problem is, the GPS has uploaded all its tracks since it was made/bought/shipped to me/tried out in my garden. So I load it into my mapping software and I have a total mess! There is also nothing in the Garmin instructions which shows how to differentiate between routes and waypoints and tracks when the data is extracted from the device. I really do feel totally inept.

Please could you guys post a 'best practice' guide or something similar? I'm well used to computers, but these GPS units are a different beast entirely!

Even if no-one responds, thanks for listening anyway.
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one other thing. When I was downloading my tracks onto my PC, I eventually decided to do it manually by picking 'points' off my GPS screen and sending them to my PC. I then looked at my mapping software and each point is a large square with 'RO 38 1', 2 or 3 etc in it, which obscures the map detail behind it, so is not very informative. Any ideas on how to make them into an overlay path or something?

Many thanks.
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I notice that the Beginners part of the forum has the most postings. Now I can see why. I think I'll go elsewhere for my GPS community.

Thanks

TheRev.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you tried in a more appropriate forum such as the Garmin GPS Section or the Advanced GPS Section you might get an answer.....

I'll move this to the Garmin GPS Section now....
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, please can you remove my details from your message board servers too?

Many thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Paul, please can you remove my details from your message board servers too?

What do you mean?
pjcactus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Perhaps if you tried in a more appropriate forum such as the Garmin GPS Section or the Advanced GPS Section you might get an answer.....

I'll move this to the Garmin GPS Section now....

Please advise where is the Garmin GPS Section - can't find it?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section it's in now?

edit: OK it's called the Garmin GPS Hardware Forum then....
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If I understand your question correctly, you can download track logs but they are all joined together and you only want a specific one.

This is what I would do:-
Download the Garmin track log to GPSU - www.gpsu.co.uk -
Edit out the unwanted stuff. I would also look for obvious errors, usually caused when reception is poor, which give sudden deviations from the track.
Delete all the track logs from the GPS.
Unload the wanted track log to the GPS.

In practice, I rarely upload the tracks as I can send them to map mapping software directly.
To show my track logs I use Anquet, Google Earth and maps I have calibrated using GPSU. I am not familiar with Tracklog OS maps.
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! I should have said UPLOAD the wanted track log to the GPS
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheReverend, your main problem should be fixed by clearing any existing data in your GPS before loading up new. The procedure will depend on the model.
Typical process for me would be create waypoints and routes and save as a file. Clear/reset/delete data on GPS and then transfer whatever is required. After the trip I will transfer all back in so that the tracklog and any new waypoints or routes will be included. I'll edit as required and then save as a file.

I don't use Tracklogs so can't help with that. Have you looked at the support links on the home page http://www.tracklogs.co.uk
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the particular PC based s/w you are using but..

If it is like Anquet or MemoryMap then you can save all your routes/waypoints and tracks there.

I usually totally erase waypoints/tracks and routes from my GPS before loading new routes etc. Saves it getting cluttered
TheReverend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice guys. I must admit, I was getting extremely annoyed with my various hardware and software issues, which I let show in my previous postings. This GPS stuff is not simple!!! Tonight however, I have worked out that the best way to download my movements for the day is to go directly to the micro sd card in my Garmin. Natively, my gps always goes to its own memory, which is where alot of my frustrations have been. I've therefore deleted all of the tracks on the integral memory and will only use the sd card from now on.

Thanks again

TheRev.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: