Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hardwire a GPS & Brodit mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardwire a GPS & Brodit mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoneghost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Hardwire a GPS & Brodit mount Reply with quote

Hi

I posted a message a day or so ago regarding hardwiring a USB GPS receiver to a Brodit mount. Someone kindly informed me that it wouldn't work, as there are very few PDA's that can act as a USB host.

So basically what I want to try now is hardwiring a TomTom (or similar) GPS to the Brodit (hardwire) mount which includes Tx & Rx data cables.

[url]
http://w3.easytrade.net/brodit_shop/product.dip?item=1216065&fid=1216458
[/url]

I have an HP 5450 and want to make the install as neat as possible so I thought if I were to strip the plug off a TomTom GPS and connect the data leads from the GPS to the data cables on the Brodit, it should also cancel the need to buy the car cable too.

Has anyone had any experience of anything similar?

Regards

James

Stoneghost

iPAQ 5450, Socket BTGPS
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the GPS mouse will need a power supply, almost certainly at 5V (which means it needs to be the output side of the power supply). Your proposed solution leaves you needing to make up a cable to connect the GPS and potentially needing a second power supply just for the GPS.

If you (not unreasonably) want a neat wired solution, you could go for a TomTom car kit plus TomTom wired GPS, or, if you can get it, I believe Haicom offer a similar product. My understanding is that both use custom cradles for each PDA model and they have a socket for the GPS to plug in. You can't mix and match the two - Haicom and Leadtek (TomTom) use different connectors for the GPS. For a neat installation, you can use something like a Brodit Proclip.

Another alternative is to use Brodit 848569 - see here. Though it says it's for the 5550, I don't think there'd be any problem using it with a 5450 - all the 5000 series iPAQs are the same shape so far as I know. This mount replicates the 22 pin socket on the base of the mount, so you just connect a cable of your choosing there.

David
Stoneghost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

Thanks for the reply!

I'm thinking about the Brodit mainly because the cables pop out at the back of the mount which hopefully I can tuck away somewhere out of sight (I hate visible cables Angry ).

I really like the look of the TomTom car kit but last time I looked there still wasn't one for the 5450.

I also plan to attach a stereo jack plug to the mount by means of araldite or similar so when the iPAQ is slotted in it automatically connects to the audio feed on my head unit, I think the Brodit may be the easiest to alter to facilitate this. The 5450 is notoriously quiet and I love my music LOUD :D .

I currently use a Socket BT GPS but last week it failed for several hours during an important trip and I really want to use a wired GPS for resilience.

I'm tempted to go for the Brodit which allows you to screw a TomTom car cable to the base of the mount Here, that way I can (hopefully) tuck the wires away out of sight as the plug won't stick out of the bottom.

I was just hoping to save a few quid and use a TomTom GPS without having to buy the car cable too.

James

Stoneghost

iPAQ 5450, Socket BTGPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: