Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused beginner 300T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused beginner 300T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Confused beginner 300T Reply with quote

I've been using an old Aldi PDA satnav in the car with the safety camera database, and it's fine. Having got a second vehicle that is good enough to need navigation, I've bought a 300T, and installed the trial Garmin Cyclops (?) thing.
It shows speed cameras on the display, but seems to give no audible warnings. Switching on the bongs before direction announcements seems to make no difference, except make it even more annoying. I've updated everything I can, but it still seems pretty useless. Is there something basic I've missed, or simple instructions somewhere about setting it up?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question!
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, have just managed a trip out with my 300T and my son with his slightly older 360T, which has the GPSWorld database loaded alongside the Garmin one. When we have audio alerts enabled there are bongs before every announcement and buried in these are some double quieter bongs for the cameras. Turning off audible alerts seems to turn off all the bongs.

His seems more alert than mine. perhaps because of the 2 databases loaded, but we are both pretty depressed by the whole thing. To be warned about a camera, I'd have to be looking at the Garmin rather than the road. I can't believe these are that awful compared with my old Mio Aldi device, so we must surely not have something set correctly.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing the sorry tale, we are just back from a 180 mile round trip to somewhere across Wales that didn't feature on the Garmin's maps, and involved in the last roads being called "road" on the screen, followed by some travel over non-existant-to-Garmin roads. So, unable to set a destination, we went with the Nuvi 300T set to just show us where we were. In this mode, it appeared to bong for fixed and mobile cameras.
For the return trip, we could enter a destination, and did this with the announcement (but not camera) bongs turned off. In this mode, it seemed to bong for mobile cameras, but not fixed ones. While driving, I couldn't read the warning messages at the top of the screen, and didn't think it safe to try.

I've read the stickies and seen the list of numbers and related bongs, and also downloaded Ash's software, and proved to myself that I can replace a bong with a highly compressed quote from Startrek or whatever. However, I haven't yet sussed out what bong is triggered by what camera/speed/event. I could, of course, replace every noise with the relevant audio file saying the number, and then drive through as many safety tax cameras as I could find. Is this necessary?

I'm still on the Garmin camera POI system rather than the GPSWorld one.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildduck wrote:
However, I haven't yet sussed out what bong is triggered by what camera/speed/event.
I'm still on the Garmin camera POI system rather than the GPSWorld one.

For Alerts setup using POILoader (which is how would use the PGPSW database), there are three possible types of Alerts:

1. Proximity Alerts. Measured along the road (or roads that make up your calculated route). This is designated "Passive Tone" (in Garmin's GPI_Viewer) - and by default is a "BONG,BONG" sound.
  2. Speed Alerts. Measured the same as above, this is designated "Aggressive Tone" and the default sound is a higher-pitched and longer "PING".
  3. TourGuide Proximity Alerts. Measured in a True Circle. There is no default tone - it comes from the TourGuide*.mp3 file.

EDIT:

Proximity alerts are set by one of the following methods:

1. The presence of a {proximity}nnn{/proximity} statement in a .gpx file. (where nnn is the proximity in metres) [Note - can't show proper brackets in this post :-( ]
  2. The appearance of one of the 'magic' words (Gatso, Redlight,Specs etc) in the filename. This sets a 402m (1320') alert.
  3. Manual Mode - where you enter the distance directly

Speed Alerts are created by one of the following methods:-
  1. The addition of "@nn" to the POI name, where nn is the speed at which the alert should sound. The units are as designated to POI Loader. Values are 0-124mph or 0-200kph. In the absence of gpx proximity information, POILoader deems this alert to be 'active', when either 402m or 36 seconds from the POI (whichever is larger)
  2. The presence of numbers in the filename (interpreted as above). Note: The magic keyword "REDLIGHT" is NOT overridden by the presence of numbers - it remains as a Proximity Alert.
  3. Manual Mode - where you enter the speed directly.

Proximity =0 and Speed=0 seem to be valid and are not the same as omitting the information. Exactly how they are implemented, is anybody's guess!

TourGuide Alerts are set purely by the presence of an associated .mp3 file that contains the case-sensitive phrase "TourGuide". Any speed information is ignored.

Other types and styles of Alert are possible - but they are not accessible via POI Loader. The alerts in the Cyclops/Garmin Safety Camera database fall into this category - but the exact details are not documented. The fact that they are directional in nature, don't show up in the Custom POI list and have different Alert Banners is testament to this.
wildduck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, that's very helpful, along with the replies to the "Paid my £19" thread.

Having played with the Garmin Cyclops trial for another couple of days, I've given up on it, and subscribed to the PGPSW system, which in default mode seems streets ahead Wink

I wonder whether the audio volume I have to run at - it's in an oldish diesel Discovery - was the reason that the Cyclops alerts seemed so erratic and inaudible? At least now I seem to be back to a sensible starting point.

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: