Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN3 Really Really slow!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN3 Really Really slow!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: TTN3 Really Really slow! Reply with quote

I received my TTN3 upgrade yesterday and duly installed it on my H2210. Cannot believe how slow it is! I was previously running TTN2 on a Sandisk 128mb SD card (yes I have since found out from these forums that Sandisk SD cards are crap!) and it was running very well. I have just installed TTN3 on a 256mb card (again a Sandisk am afraid to say!!). I have tried to "play" with it a bit before actually trying it out on the road i.e. to get used to new features and screens etc and have been putting in various routes - it is incredibly slow and keeps locking up. I have become so pi**ed off with it that I have re-installed TTN2 and again using the 128mb card and it works just fine!
Do you think my problem is the 256mb Sandisk SD card and would there be a big improvement if I got a Lexar 256mb X32 SD card? I also noticed when loading TTN3 that it said it was 3.01 - should I also be downloading the update from the TomTom site - am I having the problems because of the lack of update?

Am sure all you clever chaps will put me straight!!

Cheers

Tom
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that TT advise against installing TTN on either CF or SD cards.

Try installing it in the 2210s own memory.

There is a 3.02 version available - there is another thread about this.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same problems I was having.

Previously ttn2 on an ipaq 2210 using a sandisc ultra 256mb sd card. I got a totally unusable system when i first installed so I did a hard reset and tried again with no luck at all.

this is with (ipaq rom 1.10 plus SDIO update) ttn3 3.02 update etc and the program in memory and the maps on the sd card.

To solve my problems I hard reset again - physically threw the £65 piece of sandisc plastic crap into the corner of my room and installed the maps on an integral sd card and also an old crucial cf card. TTN3 now worked fine.

I was only using the sandisc card in my ipaq because it wasn't compatible with my digital camera!

Lesson learned I will never buy another sandisc card again.

What is strange is that with ttn2 I had no problems at all with this card - after I calmed down I tried to reformat it in my reader and wasn't able to do that - although it would format ok in my camera but would still corrupt 50% of the images stored on it.

My bet is that this is he problem - try installing a small map segment to main memory and try running it again.

Good Luck

Ian
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Installation location Reply with quote

When I first installed TT2, I placed both the program and the maps on the CF card, and had no end of problems. In the end I de-installed, and reinstalled the program in the main memory, and just the maps on the SD card. Worked fine, now with TT3, still just fine.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys but need to correct a misunderstanding. My original post gives the impression that I have TTN loaded on SD cards - sorry this is not the case - TTN was always loaded in H2210 memory - just the maps, postcodes etc loaded on the SD cards.

Right now I am back with TTN2 and the maps are loaded onto my Sandisk (aaaarrrrgggghh!!) 128mb SD card - and is working ok. Reading the many posts on this excellent site slagging off Sandisk cards have led me to the conclusion that it was a big mistake to buy these cards - great thing hindsight! I will try and buy a Lexar 32X 256MB card (everyone seems to say good things about them) before attemtping to load TTN3 back again - also I think I will let the dust settle on this update business (3.01, 3.02) because to tell you the truth I am now totally confused because the version of TTN3 I got on Tues has 3.01 on it and I am unsure as to whether my problems are with my Sandisk 256mb card or the fact that I haven't downloaded the update - 3.02? - from TomTOm's site - i.e. the H2210/TTN3 problem!

Cheers

Tom
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandisk SD cards are garbage, period. The Ultra and Extreme ones may be better - but I think the best advice is simply to avoid Sandisk and all rebadges thereof.

Sandisk cards are those with a code on the back in the form of xxnnnnxx, or on very early cards, xxnnnn - where x is a letter and n a number. The later cards (where the penultimate letter is N) are supposedly better than the earlier ones, but are still not problem free.

If someone is prepared to send me a bad Sandisk card (128MB or larger only - anything smaller won't take a full TomTom Navigator UK map) for test purposes, please email me with the code from the back of your card - the email button below will work. I'm not prepared to pay for it, and there is no way to make a bad card suddenly come good - but it may help me to support people here better if I can experiment with my hardware and a bad card. The only SD cards I have are good ones. If you're going to throw out a Sandisk card, it should only cost you a stamp.

iPAQ 3900 series users on Pocket PC 2002 should, if they're using the 2.10 ROM (iPAQ 3970) or 1.11 ROM (iPAQ 3950) make sure they've installed the SD driver fix from the HP site. This issue, however, is limited to the 3900 series.

TomTom Navigator always worked memory cards hard - it's about the most likely application to show up memory card problems (bad cards may still be OK for music files if you can't return them as unfit for purpose). It sounds as if Navigator version 3 may be worse than version 2 in this regard.

The 2210 problem should be cured by upgrading to GPS 3.02. The current Navigator version is 3.01 - so the current TomTom recommended configuration is GPS 3.02, Navigator 3.01 for all Pocket PCs, including the iPAQ 2210.

However, there's an argument that some people may be better off with an earlier GPS version if they want to avoid completely the interfering Bluetooth driver in GPS 2.08 and upwards. GPS 2.07 should be on the downloads page of this site. An alternative (with GPS 2.08 and upwards) is to uninstall "TomTom ~ GPS" once from the Remove Programs screen of your Pocket PC (Start -> Settings, System tab) - the first uninstall should just disable this driver. You need to uninstall again to get rid of TomTom GPS completely.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, thanks for that comprehensive and informative reply. Am I correct in assuming that the the 2210/TTN3 problem was to do with bluetooth? If so, I have a wired GPS and so presumably don't need to download the update if my Navigator is V3.01? Sorry to keep harping on about this but I have to admit to being totally confused!! 8O

Cheers Tom
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it is now well known that the Sandisk cards are slow, I don't think that we should let TomTom off the hook for writing such inefficient code. Taking over 40 times as long to calculate the same route as the competition on the same hardware is pretty poor!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which mapping app is 40x quicker than ttn3?

I would be surprised - I make have a 50 mile commute and ttn3 & ttn2 both do the calculation inside 15 seconds. And most routes are within a minutes so that would make this other app instant - where do I buy it?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
Which mapping app is 40x quicker than ttn3?

With an iPaq 5550 and a 1Gb Sandisk card I have been experimenting with different cluster sizes on the SD card using the often quoted John O'Groats to Land's End route calculation.

With STPro V2 the calculation takes between about 13 and 25 seconds depending upon cluster size.

With TT2 the calculation takes between 9 minutes 10 seconds and 16 minutes 5 seconds.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer - I've bashed TomTom in a couple of threads this evening for making the address lookup unworkable under some instances in Navigator 3 - but over this one I'm going to defend them.

Just because an application works storage hard doesn't mean it's at fault when faulty storage causes it problems. There are limits to how much you can engineer around faulty hardware (I have grudgingly had to do it myself in my professional life), and I think TomTom aren't unreasonable in assuming that you don't have maps on a faulty storage card.

Is your defragmentation program at fault when it pushes your faulty hard disk over the edge when working it hard during a defragmentation?

In fact, it's not just TomTom Navigator that shows up Sandisk SD cards - but, as it works storage cards particularly hard, it's probably the Pocket PC application most likely to show up a storage card problem.

It is well known (but not publicly admitted) that Sandisk SD cards can misbehave horribly. I worked with Jon (HappyCheesecake) in the early days of investigating this. For more information, take a look at his website http://sdprob.aximsite.com, especially the comments at the top of this page. I am not at liberty to elaborate further on his "Why it doesn't work" comments, sadly.

I don't think you need the details of the problem, though. I think there's enough empirical evidence that Sandisk SD cards are the problem - just look at the number of people in this forum whose problems were solved by replacing a Sandisk SD card.

Sandisk are probably the biggest manufacturer of SD cards. Their storage cards in other formats are, by all accounts, great. The later SD cards (those with an N as the penultimate letter of the code) are, I believe, better than the earlier ones - but are still not completely trouble free in many Pocket PCs.

David
pauley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a route plan from John O Groats-Landsend and it took just 45 seconds.
I have an ipaq 2210 with TT2.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lands end to john O

ipaq 2210 GB 101mb map on an integral 256mb (japanese made) sd card

time to calculate 43 seconds using TTN3

I would get that 1gb sd card checked out! (you'll see elsewhere in this forum that I had to ditch a sandisc ultra card to get ttn3 to work).

THIS SANDISK CARD IS ALSO THE ONLY SD CARD I HAVE TRIED THAT WILL NOT WORK IN MY DIGITAL CAMERA (kodak dx6490).

From my collection of sd cards:

Panasonic 256mb
Memorex 128mb
Integral 256mb
Toshiba 32mb
Kingmax 128mb
I-O 256mb
Sdisc ultra 256mb

Only the last one has given me any problems - all the rest work ok in my camera both my ipaqs and my palm tungsten. The sandisc causes trouble in the ipaq 2210 and camera and fails to accept data possibly 24% of the time from my pc using a card reader.
bagmans911
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Concour, Sandisk are awfull, I threw mine away (after advice here) and now calculate routes on a 32X Lexar in seconds rather than minutes, and just as fast in TT2 or 3. Sandisk was my problem not the programming code.

Ipaq 3970, Lexar 32x 256Mb, TT3
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauley wrote:
I just did a route plan from John O Groats-Landsend and it took just 45 seconds.
I have an ipaq 2210 with TT2.

Can you do both Lands End to John O'Groats and the reverse, John O'Groats to Lands End?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: