Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looks like I do have the latest version

[/img]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have the latest version which is why the Home software won't download anything (it is doing the right thing in this case) - if a new map were to be released within the first 28 days of ownership you would qualify for a free upgrade, once this time period has elapsed you have to pay for new map releases - Mike
stev00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im getting internal server error, downloads but wont install.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stev00 wrote:

Same thing is happening with posters on a USA tomtom forum. Suspicion is the tomtom servers are having problems (what else is new? Mad ) and consequently, the activation file can't be created for linking a map to a specific device.

My guess is that you'll just have to keep trying the 'Add Map' option on tomtom home.
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

if a new map were to be released within the first 28 days of ownership you would qualify for a free upgrade, once this time period has elapsed you have to pay for new map releases - Mike

Not exactly, it is: within 30 days from the date you first use your TomTom device (https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/).
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Out of the TomTom One devices ONLY the One Third Edition came with a latest map guarantee card so I doubt you will get anywhere with this - Mike

There was no map guarantee card in the box, granted, but TomTom support have never given this as a reason for not supplying the free map upgrade, if they had that would definitely have been the end of the story.

Others on here with XL model have posted that they got the free map upgrade.

I don't really expect to get the free upgrade, and am not really bothered now, I probably only use the sat nav a few hours per year anyway, unless I am using it when away on holiday.

I do think that all Sat Nav manufacturers should give a free upgrade to all people who buy a unit within a reasonable period of a new map release, and a 30 day period is reasonable. I bet there is still stock on shelves/warehouses now with 6.75 mapping.

Well looks like I was wrong but am now happy to be wrong. Got an email from TT and they have added the 7.10 maps to my account. I am away at work so will try and download them when I get home in a little over a week. The letter to Hollan does seem to do the trick. Hopefully.
Fat_Al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stev00 wrote:

This happened to me five times, I then actually took the advice of the helpful chap at tomtom and turned off my software firewall(zonealarm) and Norton antivirus (still had hardware firewall!) and it worked perfectly.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_Al wrote:
stev00 wrote:

This happened to me five times, I then actually took the advice of the helpful chap at tomtom and turned off my software firewall(zonealarm) and Norton antivirus (still had hardware firewall!) and it worked perfectly.

Well, first of all, you don't need (or want) two firewalls running at the same time.

Having said that, I've had TTSupport tell me to disable my firewall and anti-virus when dl from their site. BAD ADVICE! And I let them know it .. Mad
Fat_Al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Fat_Al wrote:
stev00 wrote:

Well, first of all, you don't need (or want) two firewalls running at the same time.

Having said that, I've had TTSupport tell me to disable my firewall and anti-virus when dl from their site. BAD ADVICE! And I let them know it .. Mad

Thats where the hardware firewall comes in, still safe!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I have a little advice as we've moved on to Firewall issues?

I've just added a Wireless router to my home setup, so I guess I now have two firewalls running, a hardware one in the router itself (Netgear WNR834B) and the normal Windows XP one.
Should I disable the Windows one? And if so, how do I stop Windows constantly bleating at me about it when I do?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
May I have a little advice as we've moved on to Firewall issues?

I've just added a Wireless router to my home setup, so I guess I now have two firewalls running, a hardware one in the router itself (Netgear WNR834B) and the normal Windows XP one.
Should I disable the Windows one? And if so, how do I stop Windows constantly bleating at me about it when I do?

My understanding is that a hardware firewall is always superior to a software and you needn't both to run at the same time.

If you go to Control Panel--Security Center--click on Windows Firewall, there is a setting there somewhere that basically says "Stop bugging me about the Windows Firewall is not on" Razz

However, Andy.......wait for a response from someone who TRULY can give you a definitive answer. Firewall information is too important for you to rely upon an answer that essentially is saying "I think" rather than "I KNOW"
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, waiting for advice please - I have a brand new Belkin N1 Vision Wireless Router in its box waiting for the cable men to comer on Friday afternoon.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always best to have a hardware and a software firewall, the hardware one gives excellent protection but it doesn't stop outbound stuff, be it malicious or just software phoning home.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New maps out today - v7.15 - and a 23 day old 920T does not get offered any via LMG - sound familiar???

Andy
The_Gunslinger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too am getting the "you have the latest maps" bullsh*t from TomTom HOME, and i am no where near the 30 daytime limit
GPS v1.21, BOOT 1.0012
MAPS: Western Europe v710.1561

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 30 of 36

Jump to: