Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom or Brodit car kit??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom or Brodit car kit??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Tomtom or Brodit car kit?? Reply with quote

Looking for a cradle for my ipaq 4150. Looking through previous posts the Brodit seems to get the thumbs up from most, but how does the Tomtom cradle compare, anyone have one?

cheers in advance

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom cradle is a good solution alos but differs in attaching either via a suction mount to the windscreen or via clips to the air vents.

IMHO a Brodit Active (powered) cradle using the ProClip offers a neater solution.

N.B. I've edited your post to correct the error and deleted the other post Thumbs Up
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the best place to get one of those Brodit ones? I also have a 4150
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handnav are the official UK retailer, www.handnav.co.uk or click their advert in the right hand column Thumbs Up
Genie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna be listening to the radio at the same time as gps voice, I recommend getting a mount with a built in amplified speaker.

Not sure if the brodit one has that, you'll need to check.

I have the ipaq 4150, and the volume on its own was not very loud, so I went and bought an Arkon amplified powered mount. Seidio also do one.

Now I can have both my stereo and window open and still hear the ipaq loud and clear.
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brodit Active appears to only have one cable - is there a 'Y' splitter to allow the GPS mouse to connect?
PhilipOH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also their Tom Tom 3 deal is really cheap :D

Is http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=20 the same as the one expansys sell? Is the GPS receiver the same?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brodit make a mount which has a Com1 connection in the base. The PDA just sits in the cradle and then power and GPS signal connect automatically. I have an iPAQ 2210 and the part number is 848574 - it works really me if you have a wired mouse GPS receiver. Now if only it also had a built in amplified speaker!!!
I bought it from HandNav - they were very quick because they had it in stock. The main delays are with the car-specific mounts - there are so many that they have to be ordered from Brodit in Denmark, and this can take 2 or 3 weeks.
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, line 3 should have said
..............it works really well if.............

Robin
Doodlebug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: TomTom car kit Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to buy the TomTom car kit for the IPAQ 2210 yet and if so where from?

:D :D
megamaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for my TOMTOM 3 for my Ipaq 2210 from an ebay seller. check out ebay .
toby-tronic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a brodit/pro clip and an Arkon multimedia mount.

The brodit is very elegent but is made to look cheap as the badge is not on straight. It fits in the Elise very easily with no use of the adhesive tape (only gravity). I also have an Arkon FM transmitter to send audio from the HP2210 (headphone output) to the radio (cost £20). I have got a stack of mp3's on the same card as the maps and play windows media player in the background and have TT3 in the forground. The directions can be heard over the mp3's and even the exhaust and induction noise from the lotus with the roof off!!

The other mount of for the focus and this is excellent - i can think of no better option for a standard type car. The vent mount is pants for the focus though so i use the winscreen suction mount which is rock solid. There is also a usb style charging output on the arkon mount which charges by Fortuna clip on as i drive (it does nokia phones as well i understand).

Hope that helps.

Wayne
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne - I don't know what country you're in, but you ought to be aware that FM modulators / transmitters in Band II (87.5-108MHz) are illegal in the UK and, I believe, in some other EU countries.

In the UK they're unlicensed (and unlicensable) transmitters in a broadcast band - something the UK has always been very strict over, as the laws on pirate radio in this country are quite strict.

It is true that these devices are low power. Personally, I'd never use them, as to do so would potentially endanger my Full Amateur Radio licence (Class A, not that that really matters these days as you no longer need a Morse qualification to operate below 30MHz, though I do hold a 12wpm Morse certificate and one of the last G0 callsigns to be issued before the move to M callsigns was made). The Radiocommunications Agency tended to ask for any radio licences held by someone convicted of an offence under the Wireless Telegraphy Act to be revoked - I'm sure Ofcom will adopt the same approach.

The situation is different in the US - low power transmitters in broadcast bands have always been more favourably treated.

So far as Brodit mounts go, for at least some devices I believe they have a model that replicates the port on the bottom of the device - so you plug your cable into the mount, and your device into the mount as well. This is an option if you want to use something like a GPS mouse.

With my Brodit active mount (for an iPAQ 3800 series/3900 series/515x/545x/555x), it looks possible to remove the charger cable and replace it with quite a few of the cables out there. Most, but not all, use an identical plug design. However, I've not bothered to take it apart to check.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: