Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The version and build number of the W&CE map I downloaded months ago is v710.1632

Oh dear, i feel a melt down coming on.
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
All finished and installed...
I was just going to post the final size reported (it's 1898.2MB according to Home), and happened to spot one TEENY detail I'd missed.

They've given me Western and Central Europe instead!
How unobservant is that, I've been staring at it all day and not spotted that. Embarassed

At least it explains why the sizes didn't match what others were expecting!

But it means it's over to you now, Pete.... Wink

Nothing new here.
No new version in the Latest Map, no new version in the Update.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Map Update Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Looks likely. Click to accept it, can't harm - it's only 177MB, so should fit on the card. Never look a gift horse in the mouth and if TT are offering you something for nothing, pull their arm off. Worst scenario is you get a map that's useless, best scenario is you get a better map than you've got right now in relation to GB & IE.

You are correct DennisN. I now have v710 GB and IE on my SD Card. Belt and Braces I suppose.

Confused Driving
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bored on Friday so have sent a letter to TomTom Customer Relations in Holland asking for clarification of the map guarantee policy - i.e does it have to be requested within the 30 day period.

I also pointed out that
1. TomTom did not inform me by email of a new map release
2. TomTom Home would not have allowed me to download the 7.10 maps anyway, as it still tells me that the 6.75 maps on the unit are the most up to date available - which we know they are not.

I have also pointed out that TomTom support have made the maps available to others outside the 30 day period, and asked why I have been treated differently.

I don't think I have any hope of getting the 7.10 mapping for free, but will be interesting to see their answers, before I go back to garmin!

DennisN wrote:
georgemac wrote:
Upon review of your proof of purchase and the circumstances you mentioned, we regret to inform you that unfortunately we cannot provide you with a free map update as it was requested outside of the 30 day period and we are not able to make an exception.

Well, this is the first time I've seen this dodge. My understanding of the "Latest Map Guarantee" is that when you buy a TT, if a new map is issued within 30 days of you first using it, you qualify. I would go along with TT making some sort of time restriction, - it is quite reasonable of them to suppose you will use it within a fairly short time of purchase (but Christmas presents bought in October should still qualify). And we've all been (mis?)led to believe the TT device itself is capable of recording date of first use - the Use Latest Map Guarantee in TT Home does NOT ask you to prove date of purchase, logic dictates it logs your first use date. I would have thought your purchase in October would qualify you for the 30 day rule. This thread was started on 8th November, by which time there was a new map, but it was already known to be a problem (that the map guarantee function was NOT functioning in TT Home), so the latest map opportunity was faulty within your 30 days and presumably denied you the latest map when it should have given it to you. I can only think the "circumstances you mentioned" were shooting yourself in the foot.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:

2. TomTom Home would not have allowed me to download the 7.10 maps anyway, as it still tells me that the 6.75 maps on the unit are the most up to date available - which we know they are not.

George... just out of interest, what model TomTom do you have? It occurrd to me that v6.75 ARE the latest version if you have a Rider, Rider II or TT Navigator 5 or 6.
Also which version of Home are you using?
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
georgemac wrote:

George... just out of interest, what model TomTom do you have? It occurrd to me that v6.75 ARE the latest version if you have a Rider, Rider II or TT Navigator 5 or 6.
Also which version of Home are you using?

My TomTom is the One XL Great Britain and Ireland - I believe 7.10 are the latest maps and that is what I am offered if I go to the TomTom Map Store.

I have always used the most up to date version of TomTom Home as it has became available, currently on 2.1.2.121

I will post the response I get from TomTom, if any, I never paid for recorded delivery for the letter, I still cannot beleive you cannot email customer relations in the Netherlands, but they would get more emails to deal with than written mail.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case... GO FOR IT!
Personal experience has shown that if you KEEP hassling them, keep it polite but state your case strongly, eventually, they will give you what you want just to make you go away!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the TomTom One devices ONLY the One Third Edition came with a latest map guarantee card so I doubt you will get anywhere with this - Mike
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Out of the TomTom One devices ONLY the One Third Edition came with a latest map guarantee card so I doubt you will get anywhere with this - Mike

There was no map guarantee card in the box, granted, but TomTom support have never given this as a reason for not supplying the free map upgrade, if they had that would definitely have been the end of the story.

Others on here with XL model have posted that they got the free map upgrade.

I don't really expect to get the free upgrade, and am not really bothered now, I probably only use the sat nav a few hours per year anyway, unless I am using it when away on holiday.

I do think that all Sat Nav manufacturers should give a free upgrade to all people who buy a unit within a reasonable period of a new map release, and a 30 day period is reasonable. I bet there is still stock on shelves/warehouses now with 6.75 mapping.
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have already said Tomtom gave me a free upgrade to 710 for my One XL. I do feel though that it's down to whatever member of the support team answers your query. I also feel that a phonecall after an email always speeds things along.
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have done something with Lastest Map Guarentee. Question
I got today an announcement: The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device.
Does this mean it worka?

For me this mean that now I'm out of any free updates (thinks TomTom).
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post on this forum and I confess to knowing very little about satnav. I was bought a TT 3rd edition as a gift three weeks ago and just tried to get the latest map via the Home software only to be told that I have the latest version. Had I not read this thread I would probably have accepted this but now I am somewhat sceptical.

My question is how do I check what map version I have and what is the latest vesion number for the 3rd edition ONE?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the sat strength bar (lower right corner) then the box marked "Version" on the next screen the unit displays will be information about your device, the map will say something like:
"United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland" v705.1485

The latest map is v710, if you don't have v710 on the device contact TomTom support in the morning on 0845 161 0009 - Mike
snarf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. However, tapping the signal strength bars only gives me version 7.162 which I don't think refers to the map. I will try and post an image.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarf wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. However, tapping the signal strength bars only gives me version 7.162 which I don't think refers to the map. I will try and post an image
[/img]http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s41/snarf_27/Miscellaneous/?action=view&current=TTSS1.jpg

Tap the 7.162 and you'll get another screen with map details.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 29 of 36

Jump to: