Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonawheel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I finally have a working solution to turn off the scenic detours.

I have tried setting the vehicle to truck, bus and taxi and my nuvi 360 (latest firmware) still kept choosing the one lane B roads. I quite like the odd scenic route, but it is not always sensible, especially in the winter.

I took a punt on the City Navigator 2008 Europe NT maps and to my surprise and relief all my routing problems are fixed. I still have to keep it in truck mode, but everything I have tried so far seems perfect and it always favours the motorways and A roads.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonawheel wrote:
I took a punt on the City Navigator 2008 Europe NT maps and to my surprise and relief all my routing problems are fixed. I still have to keep it in truck mode, but everything I have tried so far seems perfect and it always favours the motorways and A roads.

Just how did you 'take this punt' as the V2008 mapping is not yet available outside purchasing new equipment. Not expecting it until next month I believe.
jonawheel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the maps on an SD card from pentagongps for £100, but Garmin are selling it too. I don't think I am eligible for free map updates any more, as I got the free download for V9 and I guess I still have the option of selling the card on ebay.

The SD card also comes with the marco polo travel guide, so no complaints from me.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know!

I'll wait for the udgrade info - hopefully it will be a tad cheaper? I'm not eligible for free upgrade either.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
I'll wait for the udgrade info - hopefully it will be a tad cheaper?
Based on the costs of last year's upgrade, I would expect the mapping upgrade to be about half that cost...
nitelife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be quite exciting...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitelife wrote:
this could be quite exciting...

What, more exciting that off roading down farm tracks and fording rivers? Laughing
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else started using the V10 map updates and confirmed that the "back road routing" issues have been resolved / reduced?
I don't particularly want to pay £60 for map updates, but would find it more attractive an offering if it meant the routing algorithm now keeps to main roads as much as possible.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V2008 NT mapping certainly seems to have changed something around the routing. Result of one local test....

I started from work (Warrington) back homem - about 10 miles - and the route followed it's usual (pre 2008NT) route. My route runs roughly parallel to the A49 , some mile or so to the East using B roads and local roads in the countryside. At the first main junction (two B roads) it tried to route me via the A49. Ignoring this the first time and continuing on my usual route (which the V9 mapping used to route me along) I get to the next junction and it tried to get me on the A49 again. Ignoring this I got to the final junction and it tried to route me onto the A49 - which at this point of the journey added about 50% to the remaining distance. V9 never tried to route me on the A49 at these points of the journey.

So something has certainly changed. It's trying to get me onto the main A49 trunk road, which may seem the logical route (apart from rush hours). I checked my settings and they appear to be the same as before the mapping update. They are set to CAR/MOTORCYCLE, FASTER TIME and I have U turns, Unpaved and Traffic set in Avoidances.

Only time (and longer journeys) will tell if this is a change.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
Would you be able to try out a specific route for me on the new 2008 maps.
Start Point is 'near...', 'a different city', 'West Horsley, Surrey', 'Auto Services', 'Dealer/Auto Parts', "Bell & Colvill Saab". This is on the Epsom Road, KT24 6DG.
Destination is: 'near...', 'a different city', 'Dunsfold, Surrey', 'cities', "Dunsfold, Surrey".

Routing should be 'fastest'.

The route using the V9 maps heads off west along the Epsom Road, but then turns off south at East Clandon, towards Shere, then through the villages of Albury and Chilworth, down the B2128 to Wonersh, through Bramley, Hascombe and Loxhill, and finally to Dunsfold - a route almost entirely on back roads. It claims the journey time is 25 minutes, but it is closer to 50 on these roads.

If I set the unit to go on the 'shortest route' it actually goes on a much more straighforward route on main roads. A246 Epsom road all the way into Guildford, then straight out of Guildford on the A281 south until one mile from Dunsfold. I'm hoping the 2008 maps may take this more sensible routing by default as the 'fastest route'

thanks
Ben284
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nuvi 300 and have been experiencing the same routing problems as described in this thread. In the UK I did notice the problem and it was annoying but in some European countries it can become more serious - I have been taken down country tracks that are so small and deserted that you get part way down them to find a gate accross the road.

One think I did not realise until the other day was exactly what did the avoidence option "traffic" does. I had this option checked until the other day but when I unchecked it the GPS stopped taking me down many of the country roads. This option obviously means literally avoid traffic rather than traffic jams, congestion etc. Laughing

I tested on a 20 min journey and indeed the routing improved. I also tested this journey using a TomTom and it should be noted that the TomTom appears to avoid any sort of narrow road even if it is actually faster and the more sensible option . The Garmin now actually takes me down the route I myself would have chosen for this journey.

Thought I would share this with you all, it definitely improved things for me.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave wrote:
Hi Phil
Would you be able to try out a specific route for me on the new 2008 maps.
Start Point is 'near...', 'a different city', 'West Horsley, Surrey', 'Auto Services', 'Dealer/Auto Parts', "Bell & Colvill Saab". This is on the Epsom Road, KT24 6DG.
Destination is: 'near...', 'a different city', 'Dunsfold, Surrey', 'cities', "Dunsfold, Surrey".

Routing should be 'fastest'.

The route using the V9 maps heads off west along the Epsom Road, but then turns off south at East Clandon, towards Shere, then through the villages of Albury and Chilworth, down the B2128 to Wonersh, through Bramley, Hascombe and Loxhill, and finally to Dunsfold - a route almost entirely on back roads. It claims the journey time is 25 minutes, but it is closer to 50 on these roads.

If I set the unit to go on the 'shortest route' it actually goes on a much more straighforward route on main roads. A246 Epsom road all the way into Guildford, then straight out of Guildford on the A281 south until one mile from Dunsfold. I'm hoping the 2008 maps may take this more sensible routing by default as the 'fastest route'

thanks

Looks like it's taking the same route(s) as before - in both FASTER TIME and SHORTER DISTANCE modes it's the same as you get with V9. So it's really confusing as it really tries hard to get me onto main roads around home. It's off to the Lake District on Friday (Buttermere) so we will see what it does.
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Looks like it's taking the same route(s) as before - in both FASTER TIME and SHORTER DISTANCE modes it's the same as you get with V9. So it's really confusing as it really tries hard to get me onto main roads around home. It's off to the Lake District on Friday (Buttermere) so we will see what it does.

thanks Phil - looks like the new maps won't be solving all my problems then! I was hoping that perhaps the new maps had put sensible speeds on the backroads, rather than a blanket national speed limit which I think is the cause of the problem.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavingDave - No problems!

Interestingly my route home is calculated the same way for both Faster Time and Shorter Distance options. I cannot make it route like V9 did. Very odd behaviour.
NIKO-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new 2008 maps on my Nuvi 350 and I noticed straight away that some routing probs have been sorted, I know there are still some problems though, I recommend not to disable the "avoid U turns" because this will avoid tight turns as well & not just U turns, weird I know but this is what I have found.

I will post up a pic of this if any 1 needs to see an example.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: