Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianr17 wrote:
Well i just spoke to TT & the rep said there is nothing they can do for me regards a free map upgrade to 710,unless i can prove that my home address is not on the current map.Oh well,i'll be dammed if i'm paying for the latest map on a brand new unit.

Look, it's simple.
First, forget phoning them, so long as they can get you off the phone, they've finished with it and you.
Log into your account on the TT website. Go through the "contact us" area of their web site, subject "Maps". None of the ready made answers they print answers your problem, so progress down to the bottom of the page and submit a query to them.

What you write in your query is :-
I bought my TomTom on xx/xx/xxxx and when I did, it said I would get the latest map under your Latest Map Guarantee (I attach herewith a scanned copy of my purchase receipt). My map version is v675 and I have seen my friend's device with map v710 on it. Will you please arrange to provide me with map v710 in accordance with your "Latest Map Guarantee".

The ONLY satisfactory answer you then accept is "Certainly, sir". Then when you connect your TT to your PC and login, in TT Home you click on the icon "Update my device" and it will happen.

The only thing you have to take care of when you are going to get the new map is that you will need space to accept it into your device. Therefore, before you start that, you need a full backup of the device, using Windows Explorer, so that if the download and installation process tells you to delete something, you can delete the existing map, in the knowledge that if it all goes wrong you can copy it back onto your device from the copy on your PC.

Please don't give up on this. The more people that TomTom can trick over this, the longer they will continue doing it.

Check back through this thread and count how many people have successfully received the latest map after first being told they couldn't have it (count me as twice, because I've had the new map for two devices).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ianr17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DennisN for your reply,i have reEmailed them & am now awaiting an answer.
I will keep you all informed about my progress

Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question you have to ask is... do you WANT the new map as it stands? Or are they still feverishly working on another version to replace what might be a major cock-up with this one?
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also mention that you also want the latest postcode files.
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the posts by IanR and Smudge, I also got an XL One with 6.75 maps in October, and was very persistent with TomTom in trying to get a free map upgrade. I eventually gave up when the only course of action left to me was to write to their customer services in Holland.

I think in the very early days the map upgrade policy was unclear even to TomTom customer support and some people got lucky.

I think that the TomTom Map Guarantee policy is a shambles, you should be eligible for a free map upgrade not only for the 30 day period after you buy your unit, but if you purchase a unit after the map upgrade, or in the 30 day period before the map upgrade.

TomTom know they still have units on shop shelves with 6.75 maps but are denying people the 7.10 maps released on November the 1st a a free upgrade - disgraceful. If I bought a unit after the new maps were released and were refused a free upgrade I would return the unit and demand a refund as it did not have the most up to date maps - if the retailers then started returning units TomTom would perhaps change the policy.

For me I like the unit, but I will never buy another TomTom - I will go back to Garmin. TomTom got a new customer as I previously had a Garmin, but they have not kept this customer!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is alot of TT users here that know how you feel georgemac but maybe sending your letter could make all the difference for you and others for that matter. If TT think that asking for a letter is enough for people to forget chasing their free upgrade they will keep doing it and will keep thinking they can get away with it. Just so you know people in your situation have went that bit further and have indeed got their free map upgrade so hang in there.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
There is alot of TT users here that know how you feel georgemac but maybe sending your letter could make all the difference for you and others for that matter. If TT think that asking for a letter is enough for people to forget chasing their free upgrade they will keep doing it and will keep thinking they can get away with it. Just so you know people in your situation have went that bit further and have indeed got their free map upgrade so hang in there.

I know what you are saying, but I now simply refuse to deal anymore with a European company which is willing to treat it's customers so shabbily, and make them jump through hoops to get what TomTom say they are entitled to. I wil take my future custom to another firm, probably back to US based Garmin. I did have US maps for my old Garmin i3 and I had to contact Garmin support on a couple of occassions and found them very helpful, and very unlike TomTom.

TomTom Home still tells me that my One XL with v 6.75 maps is the latest map version!
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we ever going to get these new maps ...as the tt map specials runs out soon 2/3 (so i've heard) off is better than paying full price for the maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a map version numbers chart for all of you who wonder whether you've got the latest map. It's from an email TT have just sent me reminding me to buy the latest map from their shop because the offer runs out 31st January.

When you try getting the latest map from TomTom again, include a link to their page when they say you've got the latest.

georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading through all the posts - the reason I was given by TomTom for not providing me with a free map upgrade is that I applied outwith the 30 day guarantee period and they could not make exceptions to this - am I correct in thinking they have made exceptions for others?

Their reply "Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your patience. Upon review of your proof of purchase and the circumstances you mentioned, we regret to inform you that unfortunately we cannot provide you with a free map update as it was requested outside of the 30 day period and we are not able to make an exception.

Thank you for understanding.
With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team "
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgemac, i can remember a little while ago i got a 910 for a family member. I set it up for him on my TomTom home, like a muppet i did not realise it would lock his device to my account.
A little later i got the new maps, went to download them and found the only device i could put them on was his one. So after many fights with CS and going through setting up another account so i could download new maps for my device, I was told by a CS guy to send the family members device details and he will see to it that i got maps for MY device for free.
After many promises of getting these sent to the new account i heard nothing. Eventually i spat the dummy and got connected to a lady in Holland, well she spoke English like a Dutch lady, she had it sorted in 10 mins flat. Logged in andthere were the maps waiting for me. It may well be a case of whoever you get to speak to.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgemac wrote:
Upon review of your proof of purchase and the circumstances you mentioned, we regret to inform you that unfortunately we cannot provide you with a free map update as it was requested outside of the 30 day period and we are not able to make an exception.

Well, this is the first time I've seen this dodge. My understanding of the "Latest Map Guarantee" is that when you buy a TT, if a new map is issued within 30 days of you first using it, you qualify. I would go along with TT making some sort of time restriction, - it is quite reasonable of them to suppose you will use it within a fairly short time of purchase (but Christmas presents bought in October should still qualify). And we've all been (mis?)led to believe the TT device itself is capable of recording date of first use - the Use Latest Map Guarantee in TT Home does NOT ask you to prove date of purchase, logic dictates it logs your first use date. I would have thought your purchase in October would qualify you for the 30 day rule. This thread was started on 8th November, by which time there was a new map, but it was already known to be a problem (that the map guarantee function was NOT functioning in TT Home), so the latest map opportunity was faulty within your 30 days and presumably denied you the latest map when it should have given it to you. I can only think the "circumstances you mentioned" were shooting yourself in the foot.

georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot think what the "circumstances you (I) mentioned" were, other than I only had 1 day to claim my free map upgrade if claiming it would have been the 30th day on the 1st or 2nd November when the maps were released, and I was away from home at work so could not tyr and download the maps.

The fact that the TomTom software would not let me use the map guarantee anyway as it has always told me that 6.75 was and is the latest map does not seen to count.
derekmm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a TT One V3 Europe for Christmas. Initially it was, for me, useless as ther was no itinerary facility, but a simple file copied from this site brought back the itineraries and waypoints that TT saw fit to hide.

I finally got the map update, first week January, after jumping through all the hoops. The unit now works OK, except for being very slow to recalculate if I make a wrong turn and it's also pretty free with "turn around as soon as possible"

Frankly though, I think I would have preferred a MyGuide or Navman, especially after what I have read on this and other forums, about TomTom.

Why "everyone says TomTom is best" God only knows. How a company has the gall to sell an item without telling the hapless purchaser that they MUST have a computer and MUST have a broadband connection to bring the BRAND NEW unit up to date is beyond me.

I would think they would be a good subject for BBC Watchdog.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh I'm going to enjoy this!! Laughing

pete1336 wrote:
It ain't gonna happen. If it does, one naked arse in my local Woolies window coming right up Very Happy

Guess what appeared in my Home updates list this morning?!?!?!?!?! Surprised Me Me Me Bouncing Merry Xmas

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures in the papers, Pete!

For the doubters (and any sensible people who haven't been following this)

I had NO entitlement to a new map under the 30 day guarantee, but ONE person at TT said (back in early November!) that a new version would be given to ALL 720 owners "in a week or two".
I kept badgering him and he repeated it several times (although I never QUITE got him to admit that there had been a cock-up in production of the existing map (re-used old data?).

Now I've just been given Western Europe v7.10 (1988.4 MB version)
I'm off to install it on a spare memory card!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 25 of 36

Jump to: