Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Via michelin etc Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
mrg2003 wrote:
What do they do that tomtom does do better?

I rest my case.

Conversely, what does TomTom do better Question

Erm, to me it seems the same question...

BTW, perussell, have you tried (maybe in a store) to see what routing a Garmin will give you?

Ah, Stu, sorry for your situation, I know how it works...
Flossie15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can comment on a comparison between a TomTom and ViaMichelin as I have had both.

The TomTom unit I had was extremely heavy (910 model) It didn't have speed camera alerts that were clear, and certainly the software that came with it wasn't much cop. Also at the time, TomTom charged for many services. Also the car mount was weak in comparison to the weight it carried. There was many a time I went over a speed bump and the whole thing just fell off the windscreen. My brother owned another TomTom model and it couldn't navigate him out of Lisbon when he took it to Portugal!!

I had a ViaMichelin model demonstrated to me and I was struck straight away by how user friendly it was. I also thought the Content Manager concept was fantastic, and once I found my way round it, found it extremely easy to use. The other think I found great was the weight and size of the unit, which was extremely handly to stick in my bag and carry around (a very important girlie perspective!!) Laughing At the same time the build of it felt robust, as does the screen mount.

I have already said I think this is a sad decision on behalf of Michelin, and I hope they have a rethink. There are so many people out there who are ready for their second generation model of a PND and I think the ViaMichelin models were a great alternative for those who were not completely satisfied with their TomTom's, Garmin's etc....
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear this news.

Just wondered will the TMC service still continue to be supported and also will the camera database still be supported as well?

Cheers

jlo
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the problem may be lack of promotion. The only reason I knew about VM was because of the annoucement on this site about V7. I didn't even know they produced PNDs despite using their website for traffic directions, hotels etc.

I had Tom Tom Navigator v6 and I think that the VM is a better unit than that.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlo wrote:
Sorry to hear this news.

Just wondered will the TMC service still continue to be supported and also will the camera database still be supported as well?

I agree, and there is a general aspect I hope Stu can also help us with. Ideally of course VM would carry on with FULL support, including all enhancements and bug fixing, but to be realistic this doesn't always happen when staff and orgainsations are demoralised and under threat of reorganisation or redundancy. So I would say that, at the very least, publicised functionality which just doesn't work satisfactorily, such as GPRS and some of the more serious routing issues, should be regarded as a major responsibility to correct AS EARLY as possible. Others may have different aspects to suggest.

So can Stu give us some idea as to just what level of software correction/enhancement support we may reasonably expect both now and during the remainder of the final 2 years?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on another website so looks certain that the dream is over http://www.yournav.com/content/n/412/ViaMichelin_retreats_from_the_PND_market.html

It's a real shame and if Navigon do buy some of the assists I hope support continues and possible migration to Navigon / incorporation of v8 functions we would never otherwise see.

I'm really annoyed as last March when I was deciding on a new GPS unit it was 50/50 between VM or a Navigon unit and it was only the VM brand name which made me go with the VM device. Crying or Very sad

Suppose I have very little chance of getting my GPRS working now. Will see how things go but looks like I'll have something to add to this years birthday present list Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Found this on another website so looks certain that the dream is over http://www.yournav.com/content/n/412/ViaMichelin_retreats_from_the_PND_market.html

Didn't you believe me?

Last edited by Darren on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

The TMC service WILL continue as its not run bu VM but by ITIS who are part of Classic FM.

As for all other support issues, the truth is that I am waiting to find out the full information. We know that the warrenties will continue as will tech support.
VM is not just a manfacturer of GPS devices, we have other parts of the business which will still continue and the company will continue to support products it has sold over the last 2 years.
I am currently waiting for clarity on speed camara data etc and will post the info as soon as possible.

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Stu!

Hope the camera databases are kept updated.

Good to here about the TMC service.

Best Wishes

Jlo
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu, I should have said as well I hope your job stays secure with the changes. Good luck!

Jlo
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

NO my job doesn't stay secure - I am looking for a job and will be leaving the company at the end of March as will 60 other people throughout Europe!!

I have a few irons in the fire though!!!

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jlo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear that but wish you all the best for finding a new job.

All credit to you for still posting here and offering advice with such major things going on with the company.

Best wishes

Jlo
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess now is the time to phone tech support to get my x960t repaired! been putting it off for a while...

stu - i was made redundant in june 2006 when american head office decided to 'change their corporate direction' so know how you feel... all the best in the job hunt!

MaFt
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more issues than the camera data though. I hope one will fix them.

Deepfour wrote:

I am currently waiting for clarity on speed camara data etc and will post the info as soon as possible.

Stu
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, having thought about this over the weekend the picture doesn't look too good for the future. As I have said elsewhere I think the X970 I have is ALMOST as good as it gets but there are some frustrations with it. However I would be very surprised if any further effort goes into fixing software bugs and the like and let's face it, peoples' experiences of dealing with customer support in France have not been too good judging from some of the threads in these forums. (but see below)

I find it amazing that having developed the much improved v7 software and what, from this forum at least, seems to be a growing interest in the brand as a PND supplier that VM have now chosen to throw the towel in. (Bit like Sam Allardyce at Newcastle getting the chop before he had a chance to deliver but as a Sunderland fan I am not too concerned about that!Laughing )

IMHO VM's biggest problem was a lack of decent marketing and brand awareness, too few distributors though it was interesting to see a VM X960 being heavily advertised at the entrance to Birch Services on the M62 over Xmas.

Stu, very sorry to hear of your position although this is all too common these days . I think you have been a credit to your company and the reason why a number of contributors have bought into VM but unfortunately that often isn't enough any more.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: