Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S30 and Camera's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S30 and Camera's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Navman S30 and Camera's Reply with quote

Hi all,

Anyone got an S30 and can offer a bit of advice ?

I've just bought an S30 and am having problems with the pre-installed camera info. Travelling on a regular route the S30 fails to give any warning for some camera's that have been installed for atleast 8 months. Icons appear for some camera sites but no audible warning and where is does give an audible warning it tends to be when I am right next to the camera. I have all camera warnings set at 0.3ml but have tried other settings without success.

I also note that the camera databases on here don't mention the S30, anyone know if the POI's here will work ? as I will need to renew in order to download but it would be a bit of a waste of 19 if they won't work.

Many thanks,
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Yes the PocketGPS Database works with the Navman

However, the one included free for 12 months with the new S-Series is a good database, and ALL databases are not complete by any means, so don't pay up just for this one camera. And you know it's there anyway!

Is there problems with cameras in general?

If so, contact Navman who should be able to help

Also remember that on the new Navman S-Series, it is one of the few units to have DIRECTIONAL speed camera notifications, so if it is on the opposite side of the road, it won't bother you

If you import your own POIs (such as PGPS Database) you could attach speech warnings for each of the speed cameras so you know its a 30 zone, traffic light camera, etc.... which I think is great
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: S30 Reply with quote

Sorry - just been informed by a friend that the s30 DOESN'T have CUSTOM POIs - only the S50, S70, S80 and S90i
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I've taken it back now, just wasn't happy with it.
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an S30.

It will only give an audible warning, if you are exceeding the speed limit of the safety camera.

You might try switching to EGNOS in the GPS MODE.

This gives a much more accurate GPS fix, and could help you with your warnings when approaching speed cameras.

Good luck.

Last edited by paybak on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested......

I have written some software for the S series.

On the navman S series satnav's, in the route options, there is an option to enable GPS data logging.

This basically means that every time you plan a journey and follow it, it records your route as a .log file, into your "My Documents" folder on your your navman device.

My software reads these .log files (which, by the way are GPS NMEA data files) and generates a google earth .kml file recreating the route or routes.

It also creates a .mph file (standard text format, read with notepad etc.) that tells you how fast you were going at any time in your route.

Note: Time format is in UTC. Speed is in mph.

Download here.

http://rapidshare.com/files/62730145/navman2GE.zip.html
Jayc72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently modified the default chime sound on the S30 with custom Red Light and Speed Camera voice warnings.
New sounds were downloaded from here.
http://www.amngps4.wanadoo.co.uk/sound.htm
Save the sounds I wanted for both Red Light and Speed Camera voice warnings in \Navman\POIs\

Search for the poialert.xlm file and edit with Notepad.
Changed the SpeedCam.wav filename to whatever my custom WAV files were called.
Save and Voila, done.

Now whenever a Red Light or Speed Camera comes near, I hear a voice warning, not just the 'ding' sound that could so easily be missed.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Sound File Reply with quote

Nice bit of advice, will update my s90i tonight!
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE ADVICE. THANKS.
Jayc72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

BTW, I can't remember if the poialert file extension is .xlm or .xml.
It's one of the two.

If you double click it, it opens in a web browser, which helps visually to ensure you got the formatting correct.
In notepad, it's difficult working out the start of a new line and the end.

Just a word of caution. Before editing the files, ALWAYS make a backup of it somewhere else, so you can revert to the original if needed.

While I was updating the SpeedCam.wav file I took the liberty of changing the maploading.png to a custom picture.
My Navman S30 now loads up with a picture of my beloved daughter, with text stating that "This S30 SAT NAV belongs to =name= .... blah blah, contact details if found or stolen" instead of the default picture (it's a good idea to do this, it might not deter theft, but you might get it back). Just keep your new .png picture to 320x240 size, name it maploading png, and replace it with the original after backing it up.
sargeonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paybak wrote:

This basically means that every time you plan a journey and follow it, it records your route as a .log file, into your "My Documents" folder on your your navman device.

Where abouts is the 'my documents' folder in the navman? I have the s30 and can't for the life of me find the 'my documents' folder when I plug in the USB and search for it. Does the folder need to be created initially? Do I have to do something to make the log file record. I have create log file checked on the actual device and have found the text file where it says data logging to be stored in the 'my documents' folder.

Thanks in advance!
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly you need to turn on data logging.

You can do this by going...

options - Route options - (scroll to third screen) enable GPS data logging.

Now go for a drive. Plan a journey say for instance from your house to work, then follow the route from start to end, arriving at the destination.
A .log file should be recorded of your journey. (NOTE: it will only record your location if traveling a planned route.!!)

Turn your navman unit on, and connect it to your PC using the USB cable.
Windows should recognise it as a mass storage device and assign it a drive letter (we will say drive G: as an example).

Open internet explorer and navigate to drive G: (your navman device).
There should be a directory on G: called MY DOCUMENTS.

In here you should find your .log files.

Start my software [Navman2GE] following any prompts, and change the drive letter to G: (the navman device), and then double click on MY DOCUMENTS. Now click process.

My software will read the .log files and transform the data into .kml's
If you double click the file in the "DOUBLE CLICK TO VIEW" window it will display date, time (UTC), distance, speed and altitude for that .log file.

A button then appears saying "View in Google Earth". Click this to have your data displayed in Google Earth.

Sorry for the late reply, i have been sick.

Good luck.
sargeonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate, really appreciate that reply. I have tried this in the past and I'm 99% sure I had data logging on, but I'm thinking maybe I didn't do an exact route from start to end. Maybe I just came a house or 2 before the end of the route. Anyways, I'm at work now but will give this a shot when I get home and let you know how I go.

Thanks again, really hope it works this time!
sargeonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I still can't find this 'My Documents' folder and I GPS logging has been turned on for weeks now since I've had the navman. Is it perhaps because i have the s30 model I can't get a .log file? Or is there something up with my navman perhaps?

The only folders I'm seeing are 'Navman' and 'Program Files' and inside those folders are other folders, but none that contain a .log file for your program to see, nor did I find a 'my documents' folder.
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRANGE.........

I am using the S30.

All i can suggest at this point is that there must be some difference with the firmware.?????

You could try doing a search for .log files in all directories, to see if it is actually storing them else-ware.

Let me know what you find.

Good luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: