Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth Failure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubracing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

So . . . went out today and spent a LOT of money on the S90i get home, set it up and try to connect my phone Nokia 6300, which I already checked before purchase would work, only to find when trying to pair it with Sat Nav that i get the following error message "Error setting enquiry" and no connection Mad and now I'm stuck in the Searching screen and can't return to setup mode, tried switching on and off, keeps returning to the bluetooth screen . . . . . .impressed NO Mad should have got a ViaMichelin

anyone else had this issue, if I didn't want Bluetooth I'd have purchased the S70 Crying or Very sad
Townfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clubracing,

Are you sure you switched the S90i off, rather than just switching it into STAND-BY? A quick press of the power button (or leaing it to "power-off") puts the unit into stand by mode and at the next "power-on" the unit returns to the previous state. If you press and hold the power button for 5 seconds, the unit does a full power-down and will reboot next time it is powered up.

This does not address your blue-tooth problem, but might get you out of the blue tooth set up screen. Silly question, but was the phone's blue tooth function operative when you tried to pair?? Did you get any message on the phone, requesting the pairing code? I find that my S90i & Nokia N95 will not automatically re-pair when switched on. I need to go through the full pairing process again - a bit of a pain - but once working, it works well; very clear.

Depending on your expectations, you might be in for a few more disappointments with the S90i. See posts elsewhere on this forum.
clubracing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, have powered it down and now get a normal boot up. However the problem still exists with the Bluetooth conection . . . .or lack of it

The Sat nav will not see any devices that have BT such as Laptop other phones etc. Fairly certain its this error message, and guessing its a software fault, having done iT support for years. I have emailed Navman and am waiting for their response, but its going back if they don't fix it in the week. Evil or Very Mad
clubracing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this evening I had an email from Navman support concerning the lack of Bluetooth "With the device turned on, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds." which I did . . .. . . . and now it works Question

So why wasn't this shown in the manual ?? and response time was good as it was over a weekend. More reports will follow on its performance and use

At least I now have a connectable device Wink
neil-hx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth Reply with quote

I bought my first satnav, the Navman S50 this weekend and it has bluetooth, mine works OK when paired to my Sony Ericsson phone so I cant offer technical advice.

Sorry
BHCB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

clubracing wrote:
So . . . went out today and spent a LOT of money on the S90i get home, set it up and try to connect my phone Nokia 6300, which I already checked before purchase would work, only to find when trying to pair it with Sat Nav that i get the following error message "Error setting enquiry" and no connection Mad and now I'm stuck in the Searching screen and can't return to setup mode, tried switching on and off, keeps returning to the bluetooth screen . . . . . .impressed NO Mad should have got a ViaMichelin

anyone else had this issue, if I didn't want Bluetooth I'd have purchased the S70 Crying or Very sad
Hi - new to the forum. Lots of interesting views and advice.

The problem above is exactly what I went through. Bought a S90i for my wife for Xmas and got the same error message when trying to pair our phones. I also got the same 'fix' from Navman support (i.e. hold the power button for 10 seconds) detailed in a later post but this hasn't worked for me. The bluetooth seems very erratic as sometimes it works but more often than not it doesn't which is really annoying as the bluetooth hands-free facility was THE main reason for buying the unit in the first place.

Other problems I have had include:
When the bluetooth does work it fails to remember it when I switch the unit off. So I have to go through the pairing procedure every time I switch on, and then, more often than not, it doesn't work because of the 'error setting inquiry' problem.
The SMS 'feature' doesn't work at all.
The camera database is way out of date.
The map database is, well, odd. Tried to program in an address for a road that has been in existence for years yet it hasn't got the house number in the data base. It has 300 house numbers above the one I want and 250 (even numbers) below but a whole stack in between that just aren't there!!

Like others I am not really impressed with this unit only because of the problems encountered - which are far too numerous to put up with without losing your sanity. I am sure if it worked properly it would be a fantastic bit of kit. Hey-ho!

Cheers
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

BHCB wrote:
When the bluetooth does work it fails to remember it when I switch the unit off. So I have to go through the pairing procedure every time I switch on, and then, more often than not, it doesn't work because of the 'error setting inquiry' problem.

Pairing should survive putting the unit into standby. For years now Navman's units have been designed to be put in standby during the normal use and switched off completely only for storage or during air travel. By switching the unit off completely you just unnecessarily lengthen your start up. Don't worry about battery going flat in standby, it should hold for days.

BHCB wrote:
The SMS 'feature' doesn't work at all.

With unit properly paired?

BHCB wrote:
The camera database is way out of date.

You have noticed stationary cameras missing or you can see icons on the screen but are not getting the warning?

BHCB wrote:
The map database is, well, odd. Tried to program in an address for a road that has been in existence for years yet it hasn't got the house number in the data base. It has 300 house numbers above the one I want and 250 (even numbers) below but a whole stack in between that just aren't there!!

That's map provider's data problem. If you find these problems you can report them on Navman's web site. Navman can add fixes to map data that they buy but they first have to know about the problems.
MRSH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Pairing should survive putting the unit into standby. For years now Navman's units have been designed to be put in standby during the normal use and switched off completely only for storage or during air travel. By switching the unit off completely you just unnecessarily lengthen your start up. Don't worry about battery going flat in standby, it should hold for days.
Thanks for your reply. Nope - doesn't do that. I got home tonight after leaving the unit connected to my PC all day. I tried the bluetooth and had to pair again. This time it worked. (Tried SMS- see below). Put the unit on standby as my wife was going out with it in half hour. Put the unit in the car, switched it on and it started from scratch. Tried searching for phones and got the same error message. My wife drove to her destination (45 minutes) tried searching for phones - same error message.

TheM wrote:
With unit properly paired?
Yep. I tried it again tonight when the pairing worked for about 15 minutes. Sent three texts but nothing appeared on the unit.

TheM wrote:
You have noticed stationary cameras missing or you can see icons on the screen but are not getting the warning?
The unit warns but there are no cameras to be seen. I did check the 'distance of warning' just in case it was picking up a camera on a bridge or nearby road but that wasn't the case.

TheM wrote:
That's map provider's data problem. If you find these problems you can report them on Navman's web site. Navman can add fixes to map data that they buy but they first have to know about the problems.
Yes I spotted that. To be honest though I am far more interested in getting the machine to work properly first before I worry myself about updating the roads.

Cheers

Matt
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

MRSH wrote:
I got home tonight after leaving the unit connected to my PC all day. I tried the bluetooth and had to pair again. This time it worked. (Tried SMS- see below). Put the unit on standby as my wife was going out with it in half hour. Put the unit in the car, switched it on and it started from scratch. Tried searching for phones and got the same error message. My wife drove to her destination (45 minutes) tried searching for phones - same error message.

Do you have access to other Bluetooth phones? It worked for other people on this forum that have other phones so if you have access to other phones try with them -- if it doesn't work with any, maybe there is something wrong with your S90's hardware (bad antenna?).

If it does work with other phones, try with the same model but different handset (maybe shop where you bought your phone will let you try with another unit?). If it works with different handset but the same model, then something is wrong with your phone.

MRSH wrote:
The unit warns but there are no cameras to be seen.

Was it a warning for stationary camera or mobile camera?
BHCB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Do you have access to other Bluetooth phones? It worked for other people on this forum that have other phones so if you have access to other phones try with them -- if it doesn't work with any, maybe there is something wrong with your S90's hardware (bad antenna?).

If it does work with other phones, try with the same model but different handset (maybe shop where you bought your phone will let you try with another unit?). If it works with different handset but the same model, then something is wrong with your phone.
When I go through to 'Search Phones' it doesn't even start searching. It immediately brings up the error message 'Error Setting Inquiry'. I've tried it with four phones now. Two were the Nokia 6300, One was an Ericsson and I can't remember what the other was. It just doesn't even start searching!!

TheM wrote:
Was it a warning for stationary camera or mobile camera?
To be honest I can't remember. Will watch out next time.

Thanks

Matt
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

BHCB wrote:
When I go through to 'Search Phones' it doesn't even start searching. It immediately brings up the error message 'Error Setting Inquiry'. I've tried it with four phones now. Two were the Nokia 6300, One was an Ericsson and I can't remember what the other was. It just doesn't even start searching!!

What's you battery level? Check if pairing works with battery fully charged, and if problems only occur when your battery level is low. If you get problems with battery fully charged that there's definitely something wrong with your unit.
MRSH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Failure Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
What's you battery level? Check if pairing works with battery fully charged, and if problems only occur when your battery level is low. If you get problems with battery fully charged that there's definitely something wrong with your unit.
Thanks. I'll try that. But it does beg the question - Why should that be??
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a battery operated device with limited current budget. Screen chews up about half, I think, and wireless needs almost as much, especially during search/pair. Since the rest of the device also needs some, if your battery is not fully charged it won't be able to deliver the needed current and you get erratic behaviour.
Plugging it into charger and trying to pair with low level battery also won't help much since USB chargers are limited to 1 A max and that's almost what's needed for normal operation.
MRSH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
It's a battery operated device with limited current budget. Screen chews up about half, I think, and wireless needs almost as much, especially during search/pair. Since the rest of the device also needs some, if your battery is not fully charged it won't be able to deliver the needed current and you get erratic behaviour.
Plugging it into charger and trying to pair with low level battery also won't help much since USB chargers are limited to 1 A max and that's almost what's needed for normal operation.
That's very interesting and very informative, thank you.

I must admit I have only paired successfully when the unit has been 'on charge' via USB over night or for most of the day. That's pretty rubbish really considering the bluetooth facility is one of the main 'features' of this unit and what made me buy it in the first place.

And talking of charging, does anybody know when the mains charger is being 'released' as nobody has any in stock and I've heard they won't be available for weeks yet. Also pretty rubbish I would say!!!

Cheers

Matt
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRSH wrote:
And talking of charging, does anybody know when the mains charger is being 'released' as nobody has any in stock and I've heard they won't be available for weeks yet.

Just get any good 1 A USB charger. Be careful with cell phone chargers as some will deliver only 500 mA max -- you must be one that can deliver full 1 A. You don't have to worry about voltage as it is always the same for all USB chargers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: