Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hardware upgrade time - any suggestions?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardware upgrade time - any suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Hardware upgrade time - any suggestions? Reply with quote

Thanks to recommendations from here a couple of years back I have been using a Dell Axim x50v, Fortuna Clip On GPS and TomTom (now up to v6) but it's time upgrade and I'd like to combine the functionality of phone, PDA and GPS into one device. I'd be really grateful if anyone would recommend a suitable PDA phone with GPS.

I intend to transfer my TTN6 software to the new device and upgrade to the latest software and maps at the same time.

As regards the hardware, I don't *need* a built in keyboard, but it's not problem if the device has one. I'm looking for at least tri-band phone functionality, UMTS/Edge wireless broadband, 802.11g WLAN, Bluetooth, decent GPS receiver.

Thanks in advance or any suggestions!

Ian
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the HTC P3300 Artemis for a starter, this is also sold as the XDA Orbit from O2, the T-Mobile variant is the MDA Compact III but for some stupid reason they removed the WIFI capability.

I would also have a look at the HTC Touch Cruise (or Polaris) this has a better processor, 3G speeds and more memory it is tri band, I am not too sure if this is actually available just yet though.

The newer devices all seem to have smaller screens, you will notice a large reduction when you compare either of the above with your current PDA, I would take a trip into a mobile phone shop on the high street and make sure the size is OK for what you want - I have been using the Artemis for over 12 months and still consider it a great device as a true all in one - Mike
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a look at the HTC P3300 Artemis for a starter, this is also sold as the XDA Orbit from O2, the T-Mobile variant is the MDA Compact III but for some stupid reason they removed the WIFI capability.

I would also have a look at the HTC Touch Cruise (or Polaris) this has a better processor, 3G speeds and more memory it is tri band, I am not too sure if this is actually available just yet though.

The newer devices all seem to have smaller screens, you will notice a large reduction when you compare either of the above with your current PDA, I would take a trip into a mobile phone shop on the high street and make sure the size is OK for what you want - I have been using the Artemis for over 12 months and still consider it a great device as a true all in one - Mike

I had just about decided to go for the HTC Touch Cruise but it doesn't look like it's available for 2-3 weeks. Then I noticed the E-TEN glofiish X800. Pros: Available now, VGA screen, faster ? 500MHz processor, Cons: maybe bigger and bulkier, only 64MB DRAM, only 2MP main camera.

Not sure about the E-Ten brand compared to HTC?

Any opinions to help me?

Thanks,

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no real experience with the Eten range of PDA's only a single encounter with a work mates GlowFish x500, nice bit of kit but the ROM was broken in that the device refused to allow GPRS for data connectivity when using a T-Mobile sim card, eventually he sold the device as it couldn't be made to work, IIRC Eten even acknowledged the fault but did nothing to fix it.
The extra processor power will be eaten up by the device rendering 4 times the number of pixels VGA as opposed to QVGA, that said applications like Memory Map look great on VGA, the likes of TomTom doesn't look any different. - Mike
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have no real experience with the Eten range of PDA's only a single encounter with a work mates GlowFish x500, nice bit of kit but the ROM was broken in that the device refused to allow GPRS for data connectivity when using a T-Mobile sim card, eventually he sold the device as it couldn't be made to work, IIRC Eten even acknowledged the fault but did nothing to fix it.
The extra processor power will be eaten up by the device rendering 4 times the number of pixels VGA as opposed to QVGA, that said applications like Memory Map look great on VGA, the likes of TomTom doesn't look any different. - Mike

Yes, I had read about the mobile data connectivity issue, though I'd read that they were working on it. I'm used to VGA with my x50v but I have also had memory issues with that and it only has 64MB DRAM.

Would really like to hear from an x800 owner.
Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
jamesa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i would highly recommend the HTC TyTn II. It does have a built in keyboard, but its still small enough to go in your pocket. Its also quad band, supports GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA and has wifi, bluetooth and built in GPS. It also has a micro SD card slot so plenty of room for maps, ive got a 6gig card full of music and movies too as its a great media player.

Ive got the vodafone version (v1615) which came with TT 6.032 and i bought the western europe map pack. All works great and i have my speed camera database of course!

There are some great deals on this device at the moment, t-mobile (vario III) and o2(Xda Stellar) are both doing it now.

http://www.htc.com/product/03-product_tytn_II.htm
Radeon12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesa wrote:
Hi there, i would highly recommend the HTC TyTn II. It does have a built in keyboard, but its still small enough to go in your pocket. Its also quad band, supports GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA and has wifi, bluetooth and built in GPS. It also has a micro SD card slot so plenty of room for maps, ive got a 6gig card full of music and movies too as its a great media player.

Ive got the vodafone version (v1615) which came with TT 6.032 and i bought the western europe map pack. All works great and i have my speed camera database of course!

There are some great deals on this device at the moment, t-mobile (vario III) and o2(Xda Stellar) are both doing it now.

I also highly recommend this phone, I use TomTom 6 heavily with the latest v6 maps (675), 6gb micro sd card and it works perfectly, I also have a few other GPS programs and they work flawlessly.

From a cold boot the GPS will usually lock in under 30secs and averages about 5 to 7 sats.
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radeon12345 wrote:
jamesa wrote:

I also highly recommend this phone, I use TomTom 6 heavily with the latest v6 maps (675), 6gb micro sd card and it works perfectly, I also have a few other GPS programs and they work flawlessly.

From a cold boot the GPS will usually lock in under 30secs and averages about 5 to 7 sats.

Thanks guys, I understand that the Tytn II has a similar spec to the forthcoming Touch Cruise but doesn't has the the slide out keyboardrd as an extra? I suppose the kepboard may make web browsing easier but it's also something else to go wrong, plus it's more bulky.

Decisions decisions! Smile

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: