Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Am i in the right place?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Am i in the right place?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
slimsta wrote:
next time i spot and submit (in time)a permanent fixture or gatso, etc rather than a mobile, on the flip side, its easier to say "Its not verified" preventing giving free life time membership",

Verifiers do not go out of their way to disallow a mobile site to save the PGPSW a 'lifetime' as all but two or three have absolutely nothing to do with GPSW and have nothing to gain by not verifying a mobile.

Allow me to correct this just slightly - not just "nothing to gain by not verifying", ALL the verifiers would like to confirm ALL likely camera sites - that's what we're here for, NOT to deny them. If there's a camera about, we want it in the database. Why deny somebody a lifetime membership? We got our lifetime memberships by reporting new cameras, so why not anybody else who does the same?

Yes, I've accepted loads and I've also declined loads. Nothing would give me greater pain than to learn that a site I declined turned out to be genuine and somebody got caught.

I should hasten to add that the criteria for free membership with mobiles is not just getting it verified
Quote:
Note that the Free Subscription will only be added after both verification (once it goes 'active' in the database) AND further reports have been received.

I note that "your" camera was reported on Monday 30th July at 8:55am and the site description is excellent. HOWEVER, it's worth pointing out (and whichever verifier goes there will no doubt do so), the Heading is shown as 292, but should be the opposite of that (112) - heading is the compass direction of travel to be caught, not the direction the camera is pointing.

And if you see it there again, take a photo from across the road with the Painted Lady in the background - couldn't be much argument over that, I'd imagine! (and if he asks what you're doing, you're taking a picture of the pub to send to your old mate in the Gulf).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis N thanks for the response,
i'm not good at all of the quote stuff on here so i'll try and answer the best i can, taking the picture with the Local in the background could be an answer, but would it be fair to say then that if no-one else has put the submission in, then you only have a record of myself submitting?
Yes i understand it still needs to be verified but,
i mean don't you put what is submitted into some sort of order as you receive the information to eliminate any confusion or arguments of who has submitted what?
I was under the impression that the two i submitted were on Sundays, but as you have record of it, it may well have been one on a sunday and one on a monday (possibly a bank holiday) unsure TBH.
The direction of the way the camera is pointing, against the co-ordinates, my apologies for not understanding that and getting it wrong, (genuinely) i appreciate its been corrected, and didn't know at the time how to contribute to the database correctly, back then i just about managed to select the correct section on here to submit it!
I merely submitted co-ordinates of where the mobile was and wasn't aware you didn't want the direction the camera was pointing but the travel of vehicles going down the road.
This submission would have been Monday 30th July in 2007 as it was last Crimbo i received my Tom Tom , do you have records of the other submission by me ? It would have been a Sunday.
Surley if i have reported twice, not taking the verification into consideration, you have had further reports received? or is it reports by the same submitter dont count ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't you put what is submitted into some sort of order as you receive the information to eliminate any confusion or arguments of who has submitted what?

No, sometimes we write it on the back of an old envelope, but usually we just try to remember...

Come on! Seriously, the database co-ordinator is has records of EVERY submission with date and time. It is all in a master spreadsheet.

If you were the first you would have been told. There are simply not enough hours in the day for every single submission to be followed up with a detailed reply saying why you were not the first. Having said that, if you give him a chance he will PROBABLY tell you after the Xmas break.

Also, why the obsession with whether it was a Sunday? That doesn't make a jot of difference.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes the final post in this thread. It's getting too long and going nowhere, just like they all do, so I'll lock it after my last word - we simply cannot do this sort of inquest into every camera submission.

slimsta an acknowledgment email is automatically sent back to every person who submits, so they do have the option to save that email for future reference.

I and the other verifiers do not keep the records, that's our database coordinator as Andy says. And he's bloody good at it. Every submission is on record, date and time, so when a camera is verified, he has details of the first person to accurately submit it. We do not have any idea of who submitted it, he does. We do not have any idea of what submissions have been made by any member, he does.

The significance of Sunday is that slimsta said the mobile:37773 operates on Sundays in his experience. The significance of me saying that our Verifier's file shows it reported on Monday might cast doubt on whether he reported it first. It might confirm that it was reported by somebody from a work PC? Not that it matters (to me, at least - I'm just interested in having an accurate database, although he probably prefers an emphasis on getting a reward). Anyway, if 37773 is from his report and it subsequently qualifies, he will be notified.

The camera hasn't yet been verified, so somebody is still up with a chance of a free membership, if/when that camera report qualifies (verification PLUS additional reports of actual sightings of the van).

We shall not resolve the question in this thread, no matter how much more we debate it. No offense intended, no aspersions cast on anyone. Just at two pages already, it's gone far enough, so here comes the big key!

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've unlocked this to make comment and allow a final comment from slimsta:

your 2 submissions are for very different locations (about 1.7km away from each other)

the first one:

pMobile:30842@30
Latitude 52.42767
Longitude -1.47705
(Sewall Hwy)

Submitted: 2007-04-07 09:48:56

Comments: This is a mobile camera, every now and then this silver volvo appears, and two nice officers pull the vehicles in, this has also been know for drink drive awareness campaigns and it really is tucked in nice and neat out of the view until the last second, when of course its too late, if it wasnt for traffic in front of me driving slow, i would have been caught by now, THIS IS A 30 MPH road! In a built up area.

the 2nd one:

pMobile:37773@30
Latitude 52.4108
Longitude -1.46302
(Longfellow Road)

Submitted: 2007-07-30 08:55:24

Comments: Hi, This location is near the corner of a pub, (the painted lady) Just tucked in nicely off the car park (on the roadside) well hidden by trees pointing west as you look at the map towards Mellowdew Rd, Two nice officers sitting there pulling drivers in almost every two - three minutes, this is a 30 mph road, but people do come down this road towards Hipswell Highway faster than that.

These are your only submissions - are you saying these are the same camera?! The fact they are nearly a mile apart from each other makes me assume that they were very inaccurate submissions and could be the reason why they have not been confirmed by any other users?

Note that the date of the first submission was before the 10th July change to the lifetime subscription criteria that included mobiles so only the 2nd one would qualify (if it is actually accurate)

MaFt
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt
thanks for allowing me to put my point across here,
Think it was a bit on the harsh side that this was locked before i could comment back, you see that is the answer isn't it ?
Making statements like "going nowhere just like they all do" whats that all about?

Isn't it fair to say people have the right to query the submissions, or verifiers through a forum such as this ?

My intention wasn't to let this go out of control, and i have taken on board what DennisN has said - "No offense intended, no aspersions cast on anyone. Just at two pages already, it's gone far enough, so here comes the big key!"

But this is a forum and i feel all comments in the forums are valid towards Pocket GPS World, positive or negative,
what am i supposed to do stay quiet when i believe in my previous comments ?
If i am wrong fair enough, no issues
Its amazing how many on the site jump on your comments, as soon as questions are raised!

They were both for the same submission, However it was my first submission as a newbie and to be honest i had difficulty in submitting it aswell as understanding on how to do the submission and i bet i haven't been the first, or last.
The time i have spent typing on this Topic is just not worth it, should have stopped earlier, so lets leave it as it is and lock the thread, thanks for allowing me the opportunity of a final comment
have a Happy New Year
Slimsta

Last edited by slimsta on Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimsta wrote:
Making statements like "going nowhere just like they all do" whats that all about?

The very first reply to this thread had in its FIRST line a link to the article I wrote. Two paragraphs therein contain ....
Quote:
Every now and again, someone starts a thread on the cameras forum asking about ‘their' camera - why hasn't it appeared in the database, why has it disappeared, how are cameras verified, when are they verified, how long does it take to verify? It seems that every time we respond to these threads, we get into hot water over them. I suppose the main problems are the length of time it takes to verify some of the cameras and that we cannot go back to everybody when we do the checking (to say why we've rejected a submission).

and ....
Quote:
And we simply don't have the time to be going back to every person whose camera submission we are rejecting (or not yet looking at). We have to hope that members will understand that we are doing the job with their best interests at heart - we have absolutely no intention of leaving submissions to rot in time, nor to reject submissions without due consideration.

That's what its all about.

And it seems from the preceding two posts that we have yet another "Kendal" camera.

I leave it for others' consideration as to whether this thread be locked or perpetuated.

slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know i can't win here, cause if i comment i get bombarded with quotes and lines from previous Threads to back up whats already been discussed,
and yet if i don't comment it gives the impression that by not replying shows i'm not really bothered about the whole thing,"Thats what its really about",

Already enough time on this - No offense intended, no aspersions cast on anyone. Just at two pages already, (maybe three by now) it's gone far enough (right Dennis N) ?

As i said thanks for allowing me the opportunity of a final comment MaFt
have a Happy New Year
Slimsta.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although i do agree that it could be a bit dis-heartening having absolutely no follow up on a genuine camera submission like in this case, it is also impossible for every camera site submission to take up 2 pages of forum debate over why it has or hasn`t been verified. Yes it is frustrating when, and im speaking from experience, you submit locations and hear nothing back apart from initial reciept of submission, the submitters should not expect to have a detailed report on every submission they make.

Maybe something extra should be added to the submission page with regards to 'not posting in forums regarding status of your submission'.

Also, would it not be possible to have the submission page warn the submitter if they were not currently subscribed? This surely is quite a simple process and would save a lot of hassle from expired but registered users.

This kind of questioning only puts pressure on the verifiers time to approve all cameras and consequently could make the database less reliable and less trusted!

It should be stated quite clearly at submission that as and when the location provided has been deemed to be a suitable position and several other submissions from other users have been sent in, then and only then will the first submitter be granted lifetime membership.

Maybe i`m being a bit harsh here but all the lifetime memberships were gained by following these rules correctly, once we start deviating from this then it will devalue the lifetime membership award!

rant over Very Happy

iPhone 12
slimsta
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have generated a new post aswell as adding to this, sorry i was unsure whether the orig would still be on here.
Apologies for that, but yes managed to find the orig post, anyway my question is, where do the pictures get submitted to please? (sorted and sent cheers Darren)

Quote:
And if you see it there again, take a photo from across the road with the Painted Lady in the background - couldn't be much argument over that, I'd imagine! (and if he asks what you're doing, you're taking a picture of the pub to send to your old mate in the Gulf).

Some two (nearly three) years down the line! but could it be that submitting the snaps of police in action today on the above post could warrant free lifetime speed camera's after all ?

Regards
Slimsta
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this has been answered here i'll lock this thread.

Thread locked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: