Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hands Free - contacts.txt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hands Free - contacts.txt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Hands Free - contacts.txt Reply with quote

New with my GO720, and very pleased with it & this site.

Used upload mobile numbers to device, some were gobliegooked, so into 720's files and contacts.txt

Seems to have three fields, commer seperated, Name, Number and a third with the word default every time, anyone know the meaning of this?

I have tried to use the spreadsheet in the download section, but had to modify some of the data, I now have a spreadsheet that works for my 720, how do I submit it.

Thanks Mick
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hands Free - contacts.txt Reply with quote

Welcome
Mick002 wrote:
I now have a spreadsheet that works for my 720, how do I submit it.
Spreadsheet of what? Submit it to what?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome

Sorry, it was obvious to me.

In the GPScentral, download section, for TomTom Utilities, there is only one item, an Exell spreadsheet to enable editing or making of a contacts.txt file.

You can enter name, telephone number, paste result into Wordpad or something and save out as a .txt file.
Commer demilited in all the correct places. I thought it was rather useful even tho it only had 2 rateings (was I the third person to see it) and was not quite correct for my 720.

Seems to me the post was about the contacts.txt file. I would like to know why there is a third field containing "default", perhaps it came from my mobile phone.

Edit: Just noticed the "add download" button, may do that in the new year
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why there is a third field containing "DEFAULT" (It's in capitals on mine). It needs to be there, it only ever contains "DEFAULT", it's not a faulty entry introduced by your phone.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
I don't know why there is a third field containing "DEFAULT" (It's in capitals on mine). It needs to be there, it only ever contains "DEFAULT", it's not a faulty entry introduced by your phone.

I'm not sure about this but I think I remember some poster saying he replaced 'DEFAULT' with a '/H' and another with '/M' and the result was the screen showing the name, phone number, and what kind of phone it was (/H for home, /M for mobile).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an extract from my phone book on the 720, it does indeed have the /H, /W, /M to denote the following

/H = Home
/W = Work
/M = Mobile

"Alix Dix/M","07949******","DEFAULT"
"Fred Dor/H","01253******","DEFAULT"
"Fred Dor/W","01772******","DEFAULT"
"Fred Dor/M","07712******","DEFAULT"

Note the "DEFAULT" remains in each case, the /H, /W or /M is added after the name, this is how the phone book transfers straight from my Artemis (which is a Windows Mobile 6 device) to the 720 - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the clarification, Mike.

That's why I said "think" Very Happy
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, mikealder, my file has the same structure, default in caps, and the /h,/w or /m after the name.

I can forget about the default bit now, I was just curious, but very pleased to be able to edit the file and get it back on the 720 with no problems.

Don't think I would have attempted it without this site being here, guess we all know how usefull it is. Very Happy Very Happy
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Xmas
dhn wrote:
pcaouolte wrote:

I'm not sure about this but I think I remember some poster saying he replaced 'DEFAULT' with a '/H' and another with '/M' and the result was the screen showing the name, phone number, and what kind of phone it was (/H for home, /M for mobile).
Arrow

May try this over the next couple of days & report back, "every little helps" eh. Smile

Edit: Decided to leave well alone, /H etc automaticly entered by TT from phone data, default can remail a mystery, perhaps it triggers /H etc ?
where is the emoticons for chicken
hilsbilly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 has DEFAULT, HOME, WORK & CELL. You can change them yourself so that your contacts list will show, for instance, a factory icon for "WORK", a house for "HOME" etc
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced some of my DEFAULT fields with HOME, CELL & WORK. Made no difference to the display. Sad
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TT 720 won't let me copy my phonebook from my LG800 - it's not on the supported list. I was wondering how I could save phone numbers on the TT. I was thinking the only way would be to add them as POIs with phone numbers but can I just make a simple text file called contacts.txt with the same structure as mentioned above and copy it across to the TT? If so where exactly do I copy it to?

TIA
John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick002 wrote:
In the GPScentral, download section, for TomTom Utilities, there is only one item, an Exel spreadsheet to enable editing or making of a contacts.txt file.

This text is from further back within this very thread, I suggest you read it from the top as you can easily put the numbers on your device using the Excel file and advice above - Mike
Mick002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS Central is one of the box's down the left of this screen, unfortunitly the link to the (my attempt) 720 sheet is not working (for me) tho there are claimed 11 downloads. (can you check this mickalder)

In the other (original) sheet coloum F has only data in row 15, this needs to be copied into cells F16 to F82, the data is the coma seperator & quotes ","

Place the cursor in the G cell at the top of the page, between the G and left hand edge of the cell, cursor will change to II, you can then drag G to the right to revel F.

Either sheet will work with the 720 (download both & compare), after adding your Name, Number data, highlight your contacts in the light green area, copy & paste into a wordprocessor, then save as .txt file.

Put this file into the contacts folder of your 720, contacts.txt

This can be done on the desktop, connect 720, switch on, accept, open to view files, drag & drop.

Make a full back up BEFORE doing anything, create a folder and copy all the files on the 720 into it, I have not had a problem, but have seen other posts. You should do this anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct the link you have added appears to be U/S I will ask one of the others to take a look at it later, for know the one that is working is Here - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: