Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mio nightmare
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mio nightmare

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: mio nightmare Reply with quote

Having said we would update and upload camera stats to the in-laws new Christmas present to each other, the mio c210, we wish we had thought twice about that offer. It is not compatible with Vista and struggles with XP. We are both savvy with a pc but can we find out how to upload the camera database, or update the uk mapping, can we buffalo. Unit is registered and logged onto the mio server, but, we don't exist on their system when it comes to downloading info, all very bizzare and the hammer in the tool box is looking like a good sollution, while we go out and buy them a unit that will actually work simply and effectively, oh, and we seem to be in the heart of Andora at the moment, not lancashire............others seem to have had problems with this unit and pc connection, just wondered if there is a sollution, or do we get a lump hammer?? Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad We should have pointed them to a garmin nuvi or a tomtom one, both work well and are easy to use. In fact, a trip to the local sales might be in order.
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change country

1. Click on "Address"
2. Click on "Change City" - top right corner
3. Click on "Change Country" - top right corner
4. Select "United Kingdom" from drop down list

As far as speed camera database is concerned I would strongly suggest the one from this site!!! A subscription is required - £19 pa or £2 pm - for as many downloads within the chosen period as you want. It also contains the instructions on how to load them!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note re subscription, the rules were changed a month or two ago, only the annual £19 subscription is now available, this step had to be taken to combat piracy of the database - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, Mike!

Nevertheless, I'd still strongly recommend this site's database, lancashire lad! I don't think there's a better one.
lancashirelad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks, we seem to have managed to upload the speed camera database, from here of course Smile but what a job, compared to TT or Garmin, will give it a road test before we pass it back, rapidly, Laughing Out Loud.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just a quick note re subscription, the rules were changed a month or two ago, only the annual £19 subscription is now available, this step had to be taken to combat piracy of the database - Mike

Mike, this is a real shame.

I, and I suspect quite a few other people, would be tempted to try your database for a month trial at a reasonable cost but £19 for a 1 year subscription is expensive for something you're not sure about.

I'm not sure how this would combat piracy either - if Sony and Apple with their obsessive investment in hardware and software protection can't crack the nut I doubt there's much hope for anyone else.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Mike, this is a real shame.

I, and I suspect quite a few other people, would be tempted to try your database for a month trial at a reasonable cost but £19 for a 1 year subscription is expensive for something you're not sure about.

I'm not sure how this would combat piracy either - if Sony and Apple with their obsessive investment in hardware and software protection can't crack the nut I doubt there's much hope for anyone else.

I appreciate that for some this is will be seen as a retrograde step and we're all aware that we can never stop piracy. However we were forced to take these measures as the £2 option was being seen as a simple way to obtain the database cheaply. The thieves would then share it across an ever increasing number of piracy and other web-sites and pass it to all and sundry.

We have been able to ID the source subscriber for some time know but at £2 the thieves weren't bothered if they were detected as at worst they had got the database and risked only losing their account.

By moving to annual option only it has massively reduced the piracy issue. The fact that when detected they now risk losing £19 (and will at best have had access to only one release instead of an estimated 12 month/24 release subscription) makes many think again. We implemented this change it back in Sept 2007 and have subsequently observed reported and detected piracy reduce some 84% in that period.

Whilst it may seem a risk to purchase, a quick perusal of this site will show the many happy subscribers and the feedback speaks for itself as to quality. Our subscription also allows you to install it on other devices in the same household as part of the £19 fee, something our competitors do not permit.

We know we'll never stop piracy but to sit back and do nothing would be very foolish.
simonGriff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know anything about the C210, but have recently purchased P350. I also had some problems with the PC connection, I’m using XP and couldn’t get the synchronisation to work properly. Eventually I found that the problem appears to be with the version of Microsoft’s Active Sync software supplied and sure enough after downloading a free updated version, all my problems have gone away.

I was also sceptical about the speed camera data base at first and annoyed because I’d just missed the £2 option, but I went for it and well pleased I did. It was a bit confusing at first with all the different download options and all the stuff to read about, though once it you get through that its easy.

Cheers,

Simon.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonGriff wrote:
I was also sceptical about the speed camera data base at first and annoyed because I’d just missed the £2 option, but I went for it and well pleased I did. It was a bit confusing at first with all the different download options and all the stuff to read about, though once it you get through that its easy.

Dealing as we do with a great many different systems means we can't make it as simple as we would like but we're here to help. If you ever get stuck or want advice just ask and you'll always get a reply Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: