Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £60 fine for "stopping in a box junction"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£60 fine for "stopping in a box junction"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference between stealing a tank of petrol, which we all would never do, and stealing parking space for a time (which I admit I have done)? Both these things generate a loss to the owner, it's just one is made up of something you can pick up and walk away with, the other is something fixed that you cannot see or touch.

Surely the owner has a right to recover hs loss from the thief.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Whats the difference between stealing a tank of petrol, which we all would never do, and stealing parking space for a time (which I admit I have done)?

Surely the owner has a right to recover hs loss from the thief.

So, a company provides a parking space (max 20 minutes) to attract a customer into their shop where they might spend £5 on a cup of coffee and a sandwich which nets the company a profit of say £2. The customer stays in the parking space for 30 minutes rather than the maximum of 20 thus causing a reduction in the average number of customers and a net loss of £1 profit to the owner of the shop.

So the company then demands £150 as compensation for the loss of use of a parking space for 10 minutes. Do you think this is fair? Before you answer, consider that a man with a wife and two children could feed his family for 2 weeks for £150...
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Skippy. If I'm in the store, I'm legitimately parked as far as I'm concerned. Now, if I nip next door, that's different.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the company can NOT PROVE actual loss in order to claim compensation. They cannot prove they lost custom because of you overstaying in that space - unless by some good fortune they have a written sworn statement that somebody came and couldn't park during your excess 10 minutes so they went away. Even then, it would not get them very far, because the potential customer should have recognised a full car park, understood the parking limitations and known that a space would become free in very short order, so should have waited.
Plus, the "net loss of £1 profit" is taxable, so would be only about 70 pence loss at most.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Before you answer, consider that a man with a wife and two children could feed his family for 2 weeks for £150...

Hmmm. Either a) you inhabit a completely different solar system to me or b) can you please pop over and give my wife some lessons in home economics?

Man, wife and 2 kids, for 2 weeks, on £150:00? As the French say, vous etes 'aving un laff Confused

astro
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Before you answer, consider that a man with a wife and two children could feed his family for 2 weeks for £150...

Hmmm. Either a) you inhabit a completely different solar system to me or b) can you please pop over and give my wife some lessons in home economics?

Man, wife and 2 kids, for 2 weeks, on £150:00? As the French say, vous etes 'aving un laff Confused

astro
Well, he did also say "Coffee and sandwich £5" - on my planet the sarny would be £5 on its own.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the company then demands £150 as compensation for the loss of use of a parking space for 10 minutes. Do you think this is fair?

Isn't it supposed to be a deterrent rather than compensation?

--

I'm sure Tescos was on the news again last night after they threatened an elderly couple (one of who is wheelchair bound) with a £100 fine if they overstay their parking again after spending £300 in store!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And This.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Iy would be, were any store to fine me in that way I'd ensure I never shopped there again Evil or Very Mad
Quote:
I'm sure Tescos was on the news again last night after they threatened an elderly couple (one of who is wheelchair bound) with a £100 fine if they overstay their parking again after spending £300 in store!!

Indeed I saw that and they weren't warned, they were fined £130 for overstaying the 2hr limit. This despite them being lawfully parked in a disabled bay at the store and having a better excuse than most for taking a long time to shop!

If stores want to dissuade people from using their car parks when shopping elsewhere then why not introduce parking fees? 2hr's free and exit through a barrier with a ticket handed to you at the checkout. Stay over 2hrs and pay a fee.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually the stores, or the bandit parking taliban that they employ on their behalf to ailienate customers? It's certainly an independent company that put on the wheel clamps in out local Tesco store.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Is it actually the stores, or the bandit parking taliban that they employ on their behalf to ailienate customers? It's certainly an independent company that put on the wheel clamps in out local Tesco store.

Normally a 3rd party but as they are contracted to provide parking enforcement by the stores themselves I don't see any difference? Surely when they employ them they know what conditions and fines will be levied?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Right. Next time Tesco delivers my shopping more than 10 minutes late, I'm going to fine them £100. That's only fair, isn't it? Twisted Evil
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

Right. Next time Tesco delivers my shopping more than 10 minutes late, I'm going to fine them £100. That's only fair, isn't it? Twisted Evil

when you order online are you able to add any 'extra info' such as 'our house is behing number 50, please go up the alley to find us' etc? if so then clearly state your terms that if they are more than 10 minutes late then they will compensate you £100 + the price of your shopping. if they deliver the goods then they have agreed to your terms Smile they should have this info printed off so take that to court with you :D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Oh come on, 10 minutes, that’s rather generous isn’t it? Personally, I’d follow the lead of some camera partnerships and have a zero tolerance! If they’re late by one second then aren’t they still late?!!! Joker

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a delivery from Tesco that wasn't. Just as they pulled up in a resdience parking area a 'little hitler' pounced and told them to move on or they would get a fine. I tried to reason with the person of dubious parenthood that it would take two minutes to unload the shopping but HE got threatening.

So the tesco driver left - it took 2 weeks to get refund and a letter from Tesco saying they wouldn't deliver to that street any more.

But the best part was I wrote to the council, got an apology that in future their patrolmen would be more polite to the public and allow delivery lorries provided they didn't block the street, and made loads of photocopies that I handed out to every one of the street walkers that dared cross in front of my house.

IT FELT GOOD!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: