Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Max POIs for TomTom ONE v2 - app. 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Max POIs for TomTom ONE v2 - app. 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exotic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Max POIs for TomTom ONE v2 - app. 7 Reply with quote

Since recently adding more POIs my TomTom won't power on unless:

1)The USB/cigarette lighter power cable is connected
OR
2)The SD card is removed and re-inserted
OR
3)I power on the first time after being connected to HOME.

Also it no longer allows me to add a POI category within TomTom, saying "No more POI categories can be created [CONTINUE]"

I have 137 POI categories, anyone know what level I have to bring this down to, or is there a work-around?

I thought there wouldn't be a limit in application 7. I have 1.8GB SD space free.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit used to be 100 for all models, but with v7 software it now depends on which model you own. For the x20 models it is 300, but for the Go910 v7.120 increased the limit to 169 categories, a pretty odd number, so I suspect it may be down to the amount of free memory (not the amount of storage space).

We found those numbers by temporarily removing all our custom POI categories and then creating (on the PC) a couple of hundred empty POI files (just by copy and paste, windows gives them new numbers each time, (don't they OldBoy! Wink ).
Add those and you will be able to see how many it allows you.

If you try it, it would be really good to post your findings here.. Smile

However, in the past, having too many never caused any problems like you report... it just ignores any categories over the maximum it can cope with. So maybe this is an unrelated problem?

Have you tried "return to factory settings" in the menus by any chance? (careful, you will lose personal settings so make sure you have a good Explorer-created backup first.
exotic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!!! Idea

After you suggested I may need to restore factory settings, I suddenly remembered that old reset button I used all the time before application 7 came along Laughing It powers on fine everytime now.

As a geek experiment, I decided to find out the maximum number of POI categories you can have until it will not let you create more.

Answer: maximum 107 POI categories can be created from within TomTom ONE 2nd Edition with application 7.162.

(Obviously you can still create more outside of TomTom and then copy them to the map folder.)

As an additional experiment, I copied across a small POI (making it 108 in total) and then deleted all my .ogg (audio) files, which are quite large, and still TomTom would not allow me to create another POI.

In conclusion, either the .ogg files are not loaded into memory so my test is flawed, OR it's the total number of POI files which is the issue.

I suspect it's a parameter setting which can easilly be resolved in the next application update, although I tend to create my POIs outside of TomTom anyway.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tests! Thumbs Up
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exotic wrote:

Obviously you can still create more outside of TomTom and then copy them to the map folder.

In the past when you exceeded the limit in this way the tomtom would ignore some of the POI categories when you tried to navigate to them. The ones ignored were selected at random. I don't think that this has changed so if you have, say, 200 categories you are only likely to be able to navigate to 107 of them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: