Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GB map - still the same!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GB map - still the same!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediafriendly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: GB map - still the same! Reply with quote

I bought the "new" GB map this evening at the special discount. It appeared to download, and updated my Tom Tom Go application and Tom Tom Home.

But the map is still 6.75. I downloaded it again from "update your Tom Tom Go", and now have another copy of the 6.75 map. But one is called "UK and IE plus major roads of Western Europe" and the other is called "Great Britain and Ireland map".

What is going on??
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to more appropriate forum.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check, you are switching between them in Change preferences/Manage maps/Switch map aren't you?

Where and how are you reading the version number?

not doubting you, as TT have managed to download the wrong map before, but the names being different intrigues me.
mediafriendly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Just to check, you are switching between them in Change preferences/Manage maps/Switch map aren't you?

Where and how are you reading the version number?

not doubting you, as TT have managed to download the wrong map before, but the names being different intrigues me.

Yes, in fact I have checked this many times! Am tapping the field that shows the application version number in the bottom right hand corner of the Route summary screen, which brings up the page telling me I am running the latest version - but a 6.75 map.

And the curious thing is that in my "Tom Tom Home" screen on my PC, the map installed is called "Great Britan and Ireland", but on my Tom Tom, it is called "UK and IE plus Western Europe".

When they have downloaded you the wrong map in the past, have they been good at putting things right?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mediafriendly has found a solution to this, in this post...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61894
mediafriendly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Mediafriendly has found a solution to this, in this post...
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=61894

I think I have worked out what happened here. When I started downloading, I was offered the option to download the new Tom Tom Home application 2.1. I said "no", on the basis that I hadn't been told I would need to; and I was more concerned to get on with the map download I had just paid thirty pounds for, and let nothing interfere with that.

But is it possible that the 7.10 maps ONLY download if you have the latest Tom Tom Home 2.1 application installed perhaps? And that if you don't, they give you the 6.75 map instead?

If that's right, that has to be the most crass download set-up ever. How about some kind of message that says "In order for you to download your map, you must download the new Tom Tom Home application. Do you wish to proceed?" - instead of which, it tries to pass off the old map to you without any warning at all!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I've just posted about exactly the same thing in another part of the forum (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=60916&start=175) ...
If you go to the TomTom mapshop on their website, they DO say that! Twice!
This is the second time:

So are you saying that you used Home v1.5 or 1.6 and it still lets you buy maps, but gives you v6 ones instead?
If that's the case they need to stop it damned quick!!
bill99jt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem, upgraded to V7.161 - bought & downloaded the
version 7 map, UK & Republic of ireland. checked on the tom tom (510 by the way) still showing the old V6 map, there is a switch map function in change preferences, manage maps, switched over & the V7 map is now the default.
mediafriendly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok got the answer from a helpful Tom Tom rep today. When you have a Tom Tom Go Classic, the new maps will ONLY download if you have the Home 2.2 application installed. If you don't, you will get 6.75 instead, and you will have to call up to get the new map put into your account for updating next time you sync.

This quirk only applies to the Go Classic apparently.
DougWeller
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month (Nov 15th) I bought the new US map, installed the latest version of Home on my Vista PC, downloaded the map. Which took hours as everyone else was downloading maps.
But it didn't show up in Home. So, I phoned TomTom support, and they told me that only Home 1.6 would work properly with Vista and that I couldn't use 1.6 to download the new maps.
Luckily I'd done a backup because the instructions had said delete the old map.
When I got back from the US I wrote a detailed email to TomTom (using their contact webpage) explaining what had happened. My reply was some nonsense about if I couldn't connect upgrade my USB drivers, nothing to do with anything I'd written.
They've emailed me again saying something about a refund, but I'm pretty annoyed that this long after Vista was released I still can't use it to download the new maps!

Doug
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all my problems with the download thing i bit the bullet and got my father in law to purchase new maps. as he's unit is linked to my account i got his device and put the new maps on this afternoon home 2.1 and vista business. Absolutely no problems, downloaded in an hour and all appears to be fine. Thank god i have a fast broadband connection!!.
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange as it may sound, my friend has a TT One with 6.75 maps, and his maps are more up to date than my 7.10. I think one of the maps is made by Teleatlas and one by Navtec, but for my local area (Kent) it seems v7 is more of a downgrade, Id be very sceptical of paying money to "upgrade" to the v7 maps!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: