Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urgent... help regarding maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent... help regarding maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Urgent... help regarding maps Reply with quote

Ok... we are off tomorrow and I connected the tomtom 710 to my laptop to make sure everything was updated... It told me I needed a map update but did not have enough space so I delleted the old one to have it replaced... When I tried to update it it now tells me I have a error the pni.ini file is not part of the maps and to report it ti tomtom annon.

I have the GB maps on a folder but it gives me the same error. I have tried uncompressing the file and taking the .ini file out but it does not help. looks like my only option is to download another copy.... Thats BS... can some one help?
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry pna.ini file
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent... help regarding maps Reply with quote

SpyderMan wrote:
I have the GB maps on a folder but it gives me the same error. I have tried uncompressing the file and taking the .ini file out but it does not help. looks like my only option is to download another copy.... Thats BS... can some one help?
I take it the old Map is a V6xx Map.

Is this the Backup, or the Download Files ready for Installation?

If it's a Backup, did you use HOME to Back it up.

Did you use HOME to delete the old Map?

When you downloaded the new Map, did it complete without error? Other than not having enough space to Install.

Have a look in your HOME Download Folder for a Map Folder and see if the new Map is there. If it is move all traces of the OLD Map to a new location.

Presumably you are using HOME 2, in which case now go into Add Maps, and Install Items on my Computer. Under Maps it should list your new Map.

Click Add.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Richard... I did not back up b4 hand Sad
Anyway I could not find the old map in the folder... I connect up every now and again to see if any software updates are available... in this instance I had 3, one of which was a "map update" or so it told me.
Once d/loaded I tried to install and I was told I did not have enough space, the only thing I could delete to make the space was the original map. Seeing as I had the newer one d/loaded it seemed ok.

I deleted then when I tried to copy the new map across it just gave me this error with a option to report it anonymously to tomtom... must have done this a few times with no success...

Anyway in the end I purchased the same copy again from the website, just to get me going... Seems ok now... Will be taking this up with TomTom support on Monday.

If you have any ideas on what went wrong then please let me know...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpyderMan wrote:
.... then when I tried to copy the new map across it just gave me this error with a option to report it anonymously to tomtom... must have done this a few times with no success...
Did you mean Install or Copy?

If it was Install, it's a new one to me. The new Maps have a MapName.pna File. It's not called pna.ini any more. It holds the Map Compilation details.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure... all I know is I downloaded the map update in my list... tried to install not enough memory so deleted the original then it kept giving me this error....
LesMiserable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have deleted your maps and inturn downloaded a mapshare mapupdate which is things like renamed roads , not a new map
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5022
TT Home v 2.7.6.2056
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that could be the case however the map download was the same size (near enough) as the originals in my SD card... I logged a call with TomTom support and the guy said he would move it to 2nd line and send an email.. as of now I still have no email and no work from TomTom...
Anyway when I d/loaded the map updates the software did not warn me to backup or anything...
Used TomTom products for more than 4 years now and never had a problem before... recomended quite a few people (perhaps 10 or so) to purchase various pieces of kit from them... so I am hoping I dont get much grief from them... Have to phone them back in the next few days...
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway when I d/loaded the map updates the software did not warn me to backup or anything...
Used TomTom products for more than 4 years now and never had a problem before... recomended quite a few people (perhaps 10 or so) to purchase various pieces of kit from them... so I am hoping I dont get much grief from them... Have to phone them back in the next few days...

I had the same problem SpyderMan and to get it back connect your device to TT Home2.1 and go to remove items from my go and then click on the box across from the map and then confirm at the bottom of the page( Remove selected items, that will remove the full map. Then go to add maps,voices etc. Then go to add maps and as long as you have purchased the latest map you require you can download it and install it for a year and this will re-install your full map again. If you have not purchased a map in the last year you will have to buy one because you did'nt back up or it would be the (items on your computer page). hope this helps as i done the same as you and luckily i had purchased a map 4 months ago. Remember to back-up any time you are going to make a change whether it tells you to or not.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
SpyderMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well finally got to the bottom of it all.... Spoke this morning to a nice enough guy from support (TomTom) chasing up my previous support call... It turns out my previous call was not logged, or at least he could find no record of it. Hmmm

Anyway... this error I was given about the pni.ini file not being valid turns out to be because the maps on my device which I purchased in Feb this year are not compatible with the new version of home.

So the fact that the latest version of TomTom home tells me I need a map update, the map update itself is not compatible with my version of map. No error or warning was given prior to me downloading and thus my problem.

In asking about a refund for maps I didnt need Neil tells me that because I have downloaded and installed the maps I have no recourse to a refund. Now call me thick but if I download updates to software that I own and am not warned or in anyway indicated that these might not be compatible with current versions... then thats a big problem for me.

I am dissapointed and have lost confidence in TomTom and software updates... I like the products and they are very good but the fact that a user can download updates and no warning given about compatibilty between versions is a problem.

Neil did say I should have phoned support, but at 9pm on a Friday night and I have trip first thing next morning across the country, its just not an option...

Dissapointed....

Last edited by SpyderMan on Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom strikes again!!!!

This is Tomtom at its best, Has anybody got a reply from them that
has actually satisfied them. I have never seen one yet.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: