Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infama wrote:
I just checked a UK location (N53.49326, W2.95075) and the 660 map had the new highway junction linking the M57, M58 and A59. The new 710 map shows the situation pre-junction opening.
Is this the new, or the old junction?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Infama wrote:
I just checked a UK location (N53.49326, W2.95075) and the 660 map had the new highway junction linking the M57, M58 and A59. The new 710 map shows the situation pre-junction opening.
Is this the new, or the old junction?

Old!!

The new junction goes from the left fork of the M57 and continues thru to where the sign for the A5036 is. It divides the oval in 2.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Thumbs Up

Here is the link to the thread with pix...

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10913
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can look at this view, does this reflect the layout, without driving through it, it is very difficult to work out what is wrong, although I do remember driving around that area checking cameras a month or two back and the nav unit was confused at this junction:

- Mike
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I am not from the UK, but your image seems to correspond with the new setup shown in the 660 map. Of course it seems incomplete as the lower half of the "oval" is missing, but it shows the new road that split the oval.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps you can look at this view, does this reflect the layout, without driving through it, it is very difficult to work out what is wrong, although I do remember driving around that area checking cameras a month or two back and the nav unit was confused at this junction:

- Mike

What map version were you using?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That junction appears to be identical on both the WE v705.1480 map that came installed on my 720, and the W&CE v710.1632 that I installed onto a card. Neither show the new road! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map I posted is a free open source project called "Open Street Mapping" I have run the 910 using this map data but only as a demo, a few might have seen this at the Sandown Expo earlier in the year.

I posted the picture to see if the free open source data was any better/ as good as, clearly there are roads missing, this mapping project is starting to cover the country with very good coverage though.
The maps are created by enthusiasts armed with a GPS to record where they have been.

These maps will (at some future point) be the most upto date for any vendor to use, and as it takes effort to change the data (rather than simple button pushing) it will withstand intentional attempts to do harm to the map - Mike
doris2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at Flash Earth and select Microsoft ve with labels the arial view is the old route but the overlay shows the new layout

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.493419&lon=-2.951859&z=16.9&r=0&src=msl
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to get my 720 map update almost since this thread started, and thought I was going to be able to post a success story, but...

After a long saga of message exchange with tomtom support, during which I have sent proof of purchase, a picture of my device showing the serial number, date of purchase, device no, product code (the number given on the green leaflet that comes in the box) and everything else they asked for, they at last made the v7.10 map available to download!

Of course, having downloaded it, it won't install, Tomtom Home2 reports an "Internal Server Error". I tried four times on two computers, with the same result. I can see the downloaded files in my computer, but that's it.

Soooooo, another addition to my support email, and we'll see what happens next. The full email is making interesting reading Sad

Kev
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically got a response from TomTom saying they could not provide the free map upgrade to me as I was outside the 30 day gaurantee period. I posted back on the thread saying I was very dissapointed with this, as at no time did TomTom Home software allow me the free download and this has always told me that 6.75 are the latest maps, and also they never informed registered users of the map update. This is their reply

"Dear *****,

We understand that you are disappointed with our last response, but unfortunately our policies regarding the 30 day map guarantee period do not allow for this.

In response to your statements,

The HOME 2 software is necessary to download version 7 maps and the HOME 2 software is freely available to download from our website and when new maps are released a newsletter is usually e-mailed to inform you.

Thank you for understanding.
With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

They have closed the thread so I cannot respond. I have had Home 2 installed from very first use, and never got an email nesletter. I was prepared to accept this but now want to pursue this further - does anyone have any contact details for a senior manager at TomTom UK?
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the basis that the latest map garantee doesn't work(internal sever error) could you not argue that you could not update even if you wanted to? There must be a lot of people out there that have gone beyond their 30 days and not been able to update.
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been able to update the support thread - am away at work and we have a very slow link so the button never appeared!

I have asked TomTom to reconsider, as

1. I have had the latest version of TomTom Home installed downloaded from the website on the day I purchased the unit, and this software has always said the latest maps were on the unit, although this was clearly not the case from 1st November onwards. Therefore the softare provided by TomTom to use the map gaurantee prevented me from using it.
2. TomTom never sent me an email informing me of the latest map update during the 30 day map gaurantee period.

I have also asked for the address of a customer service manager rather than support to make a formal complaint.

No response so far, but when I get the expected knock back I will post it here.
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news at last!

I was getting the dreaded "internal server error" after tomtom finally made the v7.10 available to me. After 4 tries I added to my "answered" support email, and got the following response:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

If, for any reason, you are not able to (re)install a software update or any of your purchased PLUS services, please follow the steps below:

1. If your TomTom unit is connected to your PC, exit from TomTom HOME and disconnect the unit
2. Go to ‘My Documents’ and then browse to ‘TomTom\HOME\Downloads’
3. Delete the contents of the ‘Downloads’ folder (not the folder itself)
4. Connect your TomTom unit and, in TomTom HOME, check for updates again
5. The software will download all available services, including software update if necessary, and you will be able to install them to your TomTom unit.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I've just done this, and now have successfully downloaded and installed the latest map! Being a supicious b****r I checked the map activation file in downloads, and sure enough, instead of the previous 0 bytes it was 227 bytes.

Anyway, keep knocking on lads, you can wear them down eventually! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 10 of 36

Jump to: