Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The problem with changing a roundabout, or inserting a road, is that it requires a re-draw of the Map Data and a recompile. Not something that could be done simply, like installing a POI. Wink
This is exactly my point - Not that I knew the nuts and bolts about recompile or whatever. I am sure they are happy to accept 'unverified' multiple reports of simple one way, speed limit correction etc, and circulate them as the new map updates. But there's no way they'll issue a single redrawn map under Mapshare. To get the new road you've reported, you'll have to buy a map upgrade. I don't find that unsatisfactory, just their apparent willingness to hype up Mapshare into what it isn't. I approve of Mapshare because it is bound to at least improve "their" awareness of places to go check, but I don't expect much improvement for myself between new maps.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
georgemac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: back to support and tha map gaurantee Reply with quote

and my ongoing saga with TomTom

this is from TT support on 9/11/2007

"Dear Mr *********,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

I have shown the info the the relevant team and they are requesting the exact receipt email from paypal can this be sent as a reply to this Email

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

I forwarded the paypal receipt email

this is from TT support later on 9/11/2007

"Your recent incident update was from an email address not associated with the incident. In an effort to maintain the security of information, we cannot update the incident using this email address. If you are the incident owner and your email address has changed, or you want to be able to update the incident using this email account, please update your contact information using the following link, then resubmit your update."

now I assumed this meant they would not accept a mail other than from the registered email address, which for me is my domain name email address, so I used the link to try and change my registered email address to my ISP email address - this effectively did not work, and I could no longer access the support thread. After some time I registered again from another PC with my ISP email address and logged another incident cross referencing the original incident number.

this is from TT support yesterday

"Thank you for your query regarding updated maps.

We currently cannot offer you an immediate suitable solution for this problem. We have sent your question to our 2nd line technical department.

We hope to have an answer for you as soon as possible, please bear with us while we find a solution for your query."

followed by and this is the best by far!

"To clarify, the message you refer to does not ask you to change your e-mail address, it states that you must respond to our e-mails via the TomTom support website - you cannot send e-mails directly to us from your e-mail program no matter what e-mail address you use. Either way, now that we have received the necessary information from you, we will request your map update as discussed previously. Please await our further notification. Thank you for your cooperation."

now perhaps I am daft, but I am sure the earlier message asked me to send the paypal receipt by replying to their email? I also thought the following message then clearly implied I would have to change my email address.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing's for sure - there are quite a lot of people working in the TT Support field.

How do we know that? Quite simply, we have all published different TT responses to the problem.

My favourite remains one of the ones I had, namely that either Map v705 or Map v710 is a typo. Classic!!

Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
One thing's for sure - there are quite a lot of people working in the TT Support field.

How do we know that? Quite simply, we have all published different TT responses to the problem.

My favourite remains one of the ones I had, namely that either Map v705 or Map v710 is a typo. Classic!!

Our comments are coming quite sarcastic, I hope that no one from TT support read this forum, if they do, we never get the newer maps free. Smile
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:
Our comments are coming quite sarcastic, I hope that no one from TT support read this forum, if they do, we never get the newer maps free. Smile

They're a bunch of brain dead muppets, doubt they know the meaning of sarcastic, most likely tell you that it in not an available menu option.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is entirely logical to assume that nobody from TT Support ever reads this forum - if they did, they would have learned so many answers to problems that they would have started to give good replies by now.

It's OK. Go right ahead and call them anything you want, they'll never know. Confused

Anyway, I could have been wrong before and there are NO people working for TT website Support, just a set of direct lines into very basic computers. They have a vaste store of answers to select from at random and none of us has ever yet reached the final one. But when we do, the first ones will start coming out again. One of these days, I think I'll submit a question which just says "Oxymoron" and see what auto response that gets. Twisted Evil

What really impresses me though is that the phone support line has some much better computers. At times they even mimic humans (they still use the same store of answers, but when they select one, they won't be diverted from it).

xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received this email from TomTom

Quote:

Date: 18 November 2007 08:44
To: ********@btclick.com
Subject: TomTom customer satisfaction survey

Re: Why won't my Go 720 update it's map to the latest version V7.10. Other who ha...

Reference Number: 071111-000098

Dear : Graham *****

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting the customer support department. We would be grateful if you would answer a few questions about your recent experience with the customer support department. Your feedback will help TomTom to further improve the quality of this service to its customers.

Please click here to participate in that survey

--------------------
Our sincere thanks for your cooperation.

TomTom

It was to good an opportunity to miss but I doubt they will take much notice.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the same myself!

Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a One XL on 18th Oct which came with map 675.1409. The 'map guarantee' check on Home told me I had the latest map so as a result of a tel call on Mon 19th Nov to customer support telling them that was wrong, I sent them a scan of proof of purchase and this morning I had a pleasant surprise.
TomTom wrote:
Discussion Thread
Response (Wendy F. (UK)) 19/11/2007 09.47 AM
Dear Mr Lester,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your PLUS Service order.

Your request for free map update has been approved and your updated map of UK & Ireland + Major Roads of Western Europe version 6.75 has been added to your account and awaiting to be downloaded.

She says map 675 which I already had but I actually downloaded 710.1571 for free.
Anyway, I've now got the Thorney by-pass(and hopefully some other stuff) thanks to Wendy at TomTom and also to this forum for making me aware that I really didn't have the latest map.
So for all you guys still waiting - keep trying Smile
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN
I am not familiar with the correct method of posting stuff in here so I appolgise in advance if this does not work as i wished first time.
I am following with interest the "thread" on the TT720 failure to update maps with the Map guarrantee and that is where i am trying to post this.

I have purchased a 720, and am having the same map update problems as yourselves. so while we wait for TT to get their act together and sort this out, can i ask a few questions?

1)Why have you had #7 720s and why from different places?
if you return one as defective ( because it wont update the maps) why have you not just swopped it for another from the same store?

2) Is it worth while for me to start on the TT support tread mill or should i just return it straight away, get a new one and keep restarting the 30 day countdown timer untill TT get this sorted out? (if the tread mill is the best way forward, how do i start if ...phone call to support or email?)

3)If i get another how will that affect registering/logging in to TT? I only want to have one email address - will it allow me to use my existing email address with a new device?

Also my 720 will not allow me to use the virtual 720 in Home 2.1. it says i need to downlad a file but then it can't down load it, any clues?

Roco
TT 720[/url]
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got finally answer from TomTom (Mon 19/11/2007 3:45 pm): The newest map is shown on your account and downloadable through TomTom HOME. The web page says: You can download this file until: 18-11-2008
They let me know today that I can download the map yesterday, nice job.

But I download it just now and the fight seems to be over Surprised
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartsa wrote:
But I download it just now and the fight seems to be over Surprised

Glad it's worked out OK in the end, Hartsa. Very Happy

Hopefully everyone's fight will be over soon.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roco wrote:
DennisN
I am not familiar with the correct method of posting stuff in here so I appolgise in advance if this does not work as i wished first time.
Welcome to the Latest Map Guarantee merry-go-round!

I've had 5 duds and now have two which I hope won't be. None of them were returned because of the map update problem, mostly they all had one problem or another with hands free phone calls and as that is vital for my work (it's the only way I get work), I couldn't accept them.
Different sources - First one was internet from Handtec, exchanged by them for no 2, then when that failed I had no 3, then when that failed they gave me a refund. Off I went to Halfords and went through the same business. In their case exchanges, during which one exchange was in desperation a Nuvi 660FM, but it was so not for me that I went back and swapped it back again for another 720. At the same time as the final Halfords one, My GO710 also failed - battery not holding a charge. I had bought it last December at Maplins, next door to my Halfords, so it went back for them to fix, but they rang and said they couldn't fix it, they'd give me a new one, BUT they didn't have any 710s which are now out of production, so I got a 720 in its place. I still have those two, numbers 6 and 7, hoping like mad they'll be OK. Because I love 'em to bits.

Virtual 720 file download should work in Home 2.1. There have been some instances when that has locked up at TomTom's server for a while, but worked later. Try again. Make sure you have clicked on Update My Go in case your software isn't quite the latest.

If the only other problem you have is not getting the latest map, you will not find it possible to exchange or refund it - the shop will check with TomTom who will say there's a new map coming but it's not available yet, or some other sort of response which will not allow the shop to refund or exchange. In that circumstance, I'd advise you to get in touch with TT via their support page - that's quite an effort, you have to go through all the support answers which DON'T answer the question, then get to the bottom and start sending your question. When you do so, also attach a photocopy (I scanned mine into a JPEG) of your purchase receipt. Approach it in this manner - "I bought a GO720 on x date, copy receipt attached, and it should give me the latest map, but it says I already have the latest map. However, your website map sales page shows a new map v710 available, so obviously I haven't got the latest map. Please will you let me have the latest map." That won't necessarily get you the latest map (it didn't me), but it DOES register with Tom Tom that you've asked for it and when they say try again in xx days, you promptly say "will you please confirm in writing that I will get the latest map free under this latest map guarantee". Sorted. Perhaps! DO NOT DO IT BY PHONE unless you are a brilliant negotiator and are confident that you can persuade them to release the map to your account there and then - A phone call doesn't get your claim registered in writing.

Logging another email address is the utmost pain in the ****!! Tom Tom have decided that the device must be registered to an email address and that every device must have its own email address. No choice. No flexibilty. Deaf ears. They also make it very difficult to change the device registered to your email address. It's all in their ideas of security. I have dealt with that problem by quite dumbly writing down the email addresses and passwords on a piece of paper which I have blue tacked to my computer room wall - it's been on and off for changes so often it's getting tatty and the wallpaper isn't enjoying it either! My ISP allows me 10 email addresses, so I now have quite a few, for example actually TomTom02, TomTom03 etc. But for the two latest, I have completely different ones, because I suddenly thought that Tom Tom might twig they were getting complaint emails from very similar disgruntled old men. If you have to go the many email route, just write them down and remember you'll only need them for Tom Tom.

I see that hartsa has just had a result. I'm using my Mac laptop just now so I can't do my regular checks for latest map guarantee. Maybe in the morning our dreams will have come true. Or maybe we'll all have to move to beautiful Finland to get our maps.

Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I see that hartsa has just had a result. I'm using my Mac laptop just now so I can't do my regular checks for latest map guarantee. Maybe in the morning our dreams will have come true. Or maybe we'll all have to move to beautiful Finland to get our maps.

The Southern Finland is not on it's best just now. It's dark and cold and we have not snow yet. Smile
Yes, I got the v7.10 maps installed to my GO720. It needed to ask the solution almost every day (two weeks) and yesterday I asked when they answer to my earlier question.
Everything seems to work as expected. I got them, use my case as precendent on your questions. Keep fighting!
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennidN et al
Thanks very much for the welcome and the update on your progress thus far.
I have today sent the 1st email to TT support as per your suggestion and added my 720 map problems onto the merry go round. Thanks again for the advice, keep up the good work.

and no joy yet on downloading the file to make "Operate my GO" work, but will keep trying.
Roco
Maps: Western_Europe 7.05. 1480
From Midlands

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 7 of 36

Jump to: