Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which gps to use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which gps to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: which gps to use Reply with quote

hi all I have a Ipaq h3630 with a Ipaq Navigation system, I have just brought a new car and was having problems in getting sat fix, it keep dropping, then I purchased a re-rad Ariel. I am using TomTom 2, with the co pilot drivers installed.

now I have brought myself a Ipaq 8000 with, I do make long journeys to central London, I want to mount the GPS mouse or Ariel out side the car near the boot to get a good fix and hook it to my Ipaq 8000, which will charge it as well, I want to have a backup battery on the GPS as well. which is the best one to choose, that gives me a good fix time.

cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're crossing your points here.

If you want to mount a GPS Antenna externally by the boot you will need either a Re-Rad antenna or an extended patch antenna. If you go for the patch antenna then you will need a Compact Flash based GPS. But seeing that you already have a Re-Rad, why not just stick this outside ?

There's no such Pocket PC as an iPAQ 8000, so I'm not sure which model you have. Providing you have a charger cable plugged in, this will charge the Pocket PC battery.

All GPS's have a backup battery. Not in the term you would think, it keeps the almanac safe for several months after the GPS has been charged, so if it hasn't been used for a few weeks you won't have to wait 15 mins for a fix.

A cabled GPS is better because it gives you a single plug that powers the GPS and charges the iPAQ at the same time.

Failing that you can go for a Bluetooth GPS and sit this at the rear of the car if you want, but you will probably want to hook this up to a power socket to give permanent power if you are going to mount it near the rear of the car.
nitromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, sorry it was a 3800 ipaq.

i am intrested in the cabled gps but not sure what to get, as all of them talk about diffrent chips etc.

just want a simple gps, that will sit outside on top of my car with long cable that will plug into my ipaq syn port and that will have a car charger linked to the cable to charge the ipaq.

i know most of them in the review section have them, but there is so many which one is the best, and i want to use it with TomTom 2.

thanks for the help in advance
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most are standardised around the SiRF IIe/LP chipset.

Personally I would look at the Leadtek 9531/9532 / Holux-GM-210 / RoyalTek Sapphire in that order. All have chargers built in, if you go for a Leadtek 9531/9532 it has an RJ11 plug/socket so you can purchase a 5m modem extension cable to extend the length easily. The extension leads can be purchased from most PC shops including PC World.

All will work with TTN2.
nitromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I know that the Holux-GM-210 uses a ps/2 link can you use a standard ps/2 extension cable that you would buy for your mouse or keyboard on your PC.

or is it a total different connection,

I like the Holux-GM-210 cos it is grey, and not that noticeable from outside.

the Leadtek 9532 looks great but not sure of the colour

thanks for all the info
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried it, best bet is to talk to Holux. I would presume that providing the extension lead is mapped pin to pin, e.g. pin 1 to pin 1, pin 5 to pin 5 then it should be okay.

Leadtek 9531 is a dark gray color, 9532 is more of a cyan/aqua colour and the 9533 is more of a silver colour.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: