Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mp3's for a ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mp3's for a ONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: mp3's for a ONE Reply with quote

I was just playing around today - as you do - with the Tom Tom, and I also found a site lost among my old Favourites.
Anyway, there was a small software download on there which allowed me to create a folder in the tom tom directory.
This created another folder inside it called media., in which I could put any mp3 file in and play it.
So here I am, listening to a folder full of Acoustic Alchemy through the TT and it ain't half bad considering the small speaker.
So I have a clock, media file library, the player of course and GPS.
All I need now is a Bluetooth connection to the in-car entertainment system and I'm away!! But I don't think that's going to happen, not with a TT ONE original.

Needless to say, I did copy all the TT files with this bit of software on to a spare SD card I had lying around, just in case!
Anyway, a bit more exercise for the old grey cells, and something for old TT ONE owners like myself to play around with.
I'm sure it's probably been around for a while, but here's the address for those who want to play.
http://www.maintech.de/nonprofit-projects/opentom-mp3-player/
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty cool Cool

I've just bought an MP3 car radio as well, DOH! I might just do it anyway for the hell of it.

What's the quality of the sound like?
TomTom Home: v2
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wonka,
As I mentioned, given that the TT has only a small speaker, the quality is not bad at all and, the volume is more than adequate. I have tried it also with stick-in earphones and it sounds even better, the only problem there is it doesn’t cut out the speaker, but that might be due to the jack, I was using a stereo plug, maybe it needs to be mono.
But heh! You can’t have everything.
My near neighbour has just upgraded to a 720 and given his daughter his old TT One.
She is over the moon naturally, not only for what it’s supposed to do, but the fact she can now put her mp3’s on it as well.
Now it’s never going to be a substitute for an iPod, but to put it into the modern idiom, ‘she is well chuffed’. So am I.
M.
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hemlock.

Just out of curiosity, how does the MP3 player get invoked? Is it a new menu option inside TomTom? Can you play MP3s while navigating with TomTom?
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonka wrote:
Thanks Hemlock.

Just out of curiosity, how does the MP3 player get invoked? Is it a new menu option inside TomTom? Can you play MP3s while navigating with TomTom?

No, I’m afraid not, and that is the downside of it.
There is a GPS tab along the top of the screen and when selected, will give you your current GPS position (Lat/Lon). I presume that is why you would need to copy over from the original SD card for some of the elements of the GPS for it give the GPS position.
Hence the reason to have it on a separate card for use when you are on a familiar journey or long stretch of motorway.
It just may have worked that way on a previous version, but on mine at v7.131, I cannot see how it would offer both functions at the same time. More’s the pity.
So hang on to that mp3 radio for now!
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fair enough. Still, not a big deal to swap SD cards over... and no harm in having a play about... Very Happy
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.
In fact, if you read through their site carefully, there’s no mention of it being a ‘2 in 1’ program, just an add-on - as and when required, hence the separate card. You can also see from their pictures what the display looks like.
M.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go into TEXACO they have a fm transmiter that plugs into the earphone jack, one original has one, then you can transmit it to your car speakers Wink the fm transmiter is one of their promotions x amount of fuel and 4.99 i think Wink texaco on A483 towards Wrexham Laughing
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
if you go into TEXACO they have a fm transmiter that plugs into the earphone jack, one original has one, then you can transmit it to your car speakers Wink the fm transmiter is one of their promotions x amount of fuel and 4.99 i think Wink texaco on A483 towards Wrexham Laughing

That sounds like a great idea, and at £4.99 it’s not exactly going to break the bank either. Brilliant.
M.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good price. The only problem with these FM transmitters is finding a spare channel. I nLondon even the TomTom 720 FM transmitter (which can tune over a wide range) has real trouble finding an empty slot. Many of the other ones I've seen only have something like 4 fixed frequencies to choose from.
Still, at that price, give it a go!
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Good price. The only problem with these FM transmitters is finding a spare channel. I nLondon even the TomTom 720 FM transmitter (which can tune over a wide range) has real trouble finding an empty slot. Many of the other ones I've seen only have something like 4 fixed frequencies to choose from.
Still, at that price, give it a go!
ooh thats worth thinking about! and another reason to get the 720 over the nuvi660fm, which as an inferior speaker im told by Dennis Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: