Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does MapShare work on a TT1 1st edition?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does MapShare work on a TT1 1st edition?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Does MapShare work on a TT1 1st edition? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One 1st edition and would like to be able to make corrections to the map when I come across a problem. I've already updated my firmware so it's now V7.131 From what I've read here I also need to have a more up to date map to do this (I currently have 'Great_Britain-Map V605.0).

What I want to know is if I buy a new map will I then get the ability to fix map faults? I ask as I haven't seen anything to suggest this will work on a TomTom One 1st edition.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does MapShare work on a TT1 1st edition? Reply with quote

andygrunt wrote:
I have a TomTom One 1st edition and would like to be able to make corrections to the map when I come across a problem. I've already updated my firmware so it's now V7.131 From what I've read here I also need to have a more up to date map to do this (I currently have 'Great_Britain-Map V605.0).

What I want to know is if I buy a new map will I then get the ability to fix map faults? I ask as I haven't seen anything to suggest this will work on a TomTom One 1st edition.

v675.1409 & later map WILL work with Mapshare on a One V1.
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Does MapShare work on a TT1 1st edition? Reply with quote

franb wrote:

v675.1409 & later map WILL work with Mapshare on a One V1.

Hurrah! Very Happy

Thanks for the info.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory....
Quite a few people seem to be having problems getting downloads of the corrections (uploads seem OK). Especially on the x10 models, from what I see on the forums.
Even when it IS working, the downloads you get often seem not to be "cumulative". ie. you don't get corrections people made a couple of months ago if you've downloaded them once and then removed them. It's definitely not quite right yet...
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrunt,

I'm in the same position as you, I bought a TomTom ONE 1st edition 18 months ago, and decided I fancied using MapShare.

A few days ago I upgraded the firmware to v7.131 using TomTom HOME but then found out on this forum that I needed to buy a more recent map as well.

Yesterday I purchased & downloaded Map v710 for £30, and I'm pleased to say I've now got MapShare on my TomTom working. Can now finally start making map corrections at last!

One caveat worth mentioning though... I'm not sure the original SD memory card will have enough space for both maps. I pre-empted this by buying a new 2GB SD card, so should be able to add bigger maps in future too.
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonka wrote:
I'm pleased to say I've now got MapShare on my TomTom working. Can now finally start making map corrections at last!

Thanks wonka, I was hoping a real, live 1st edition user would be able to confirm it was working for them. Guess it's time for me to take the plunge...

By the way, does your 1st edition sometimes randomly flick between screens (as if an invisible man was randomly abbing at the screen)? I thought it only did this when it got hot but it's doing it when trying it at home now.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ue a sheet of paper to remove any rubbish that has collected around the edge of the screen, insert the edge of the paper between the screen and bezzel then run it around the edge, often strange menu selection can be caused by debris trapped in this area. Also take off the screen protector because this can also affect the screen operation - Mike
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Ue a sheet of paper to remove any rubbish that has collected around the edge of the screen... Also take off the screen protector because this can also affect the screen operation

I don't have a screen protector but I'll give the screen/paper tip a try.

Thanks.
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrunt wrote:
By the way, does your 1st edition sometimes randomly flick between screens

No, it's never done that. Been quite a reliable little unit.
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've updated my map and now have 'UK and IE Plus major roads of WE v675.1409' (by the way, shouldn't it be V7.10?).

I'm not convinced the associated UK postcode file is being used. It downloaded and installed it via 'Home' but in the 'my computer' (centre) section of 'Home' I have a zip code file called 'Postal code file for UK TeleAtlas maps' but in the 'My ONE' section, showing the files on my TT1, it only shows a Zip code called 'Great Britain'. They are both 8.9Mb but how can I tell if the latest one is being used?

I haven't been able to get any map corrections yet but from what I've read it may just start to work after a little while - fingers crossed.

I have to say I'm dissapointed about the limitations of what you can change in MapShare as I'm unable to correct a couple of local map bugs that have bothered me for ages.

On the plus side, I've been able to download the GPSquickfix thing which I was sure I'd read wasn't compatible with the TT1 1st edition.

I'm still getting the random menu jabbing problem despite cleaning the edge of my screen as advised. It doesn't happen when I use the TT1 via 'Home' i.e. click on 'My ONE'. Is there anything else I can do to reset the screen in some way? (and yes, I've already reset the TT1)
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I just said in another thread if you have a look at the link below there is a pretty good explanation on how mapsahare works and what you can and cant currently do.
http://www.yournav.com/content/s/345/TomTom_Map_Share_how_+amp_what.html

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: