Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - house names as well as postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

house names as well as postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orcacds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: house names as well as postcodes Reply with quote

hello people,as an delivery driver id like 2 know how 2 input house names aswell as the postcodes ??? some places i go only have house names ?? and not numbers Sad help plzz
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I have the same problem in my job and i don't think there is a solution. The databases don't seem to hold house names.
orcacds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks 4 the quick reply.guess ill just have 2 drive up and down the lanes @ roads then Laughing Out Loud happy days
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both TomTom and iGO (Miomap) I think it's a case of Postcode and select road only. A friend has destinator and is able to find block of flats e.g. Chadwell House, Inville Road, London. SE17 but not house names. Maybe it's asking too much, as house names can change with new owners.

I often found when making a delivery, that on arrival there was a house number but the customers preferred to use the house name only. Sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and some of them don't have clear signs or are a long way from the road with a tiny and / or obscured sign.

And then they complain when I'm late....
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and some of them don't have clear signs or are a long way from the road with a tiny and / or obscured sign.
Or one I came across when delivering a large fridge/freezer to 'The White House'. Saw a white house, the only one in the village, unloaded, walked it up the 'very' long garden path, only to be told they had not ordered a F/F. I showed them the delivery note and they pointed to a house, way across the village green, saying that's 'The White House'. Except in was now painted a lightish green color. Grrrr
mol2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House names are prone to being changed however a lot of the autocomplete facilities on web sites do show house names.
Certainly the case with my house & next door which pre-date the others on the road which are numbered.
Presumably the pos code database that TT use is not the same as it lacks the name facility.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House names are 'controlled' by the local authority - who then liase with the Royal Mail regarding 'uniqueness'. When we completed our new house we had to go though this process - you just can't decide to call your house anything you like.

There are lots of houses out there that haven't gone through this process - we lived in one years ago. When we were buying it we were told by the solicitors that there was a problem with the deeds. We went to have a look and he produced site plans for a totally different house. It turns out that the name the house was known by had not been registered with the local authority. A year later I 'failed' a credit check for a mobile phone as the address I had given was deemed to have been a false one! This was rectified later - but you do have to be careful.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mol2 wrote:
Presumably the pos code database that TT use is not the same as it lacks the name facility.
In both cases the Postcode location is an approximation of the centre location (sometimes).

The number 'adjustment' is purely a best guess between 1 and 'n' of the the road name that is returned by the Postcode add-on.

The names that are used in the PAF, do not, in general, give any greater accuracy than using the Postcode only. It's main purpose is for 'Form Filling'.

Also there is a marked difference in the size of the 2 databases. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: