Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Lidl GPS bundle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Lidl GPS bundle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Storm_Cloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am really torn as to what to do know. If you add on another £45 to the h2210 bundle above for the car kit, you are looking at around £65 more than the Lidl bundle (£350 v £415)

I suppose the main benifits of the h2210 for that difference are:

1. Integrated bluetooth
2. Dual slot
3. TTN3 has 3D maps if you like that idea, and you know what it can do. I can't seem to find any hard data of how the Falk Navigator performs or how the routes are presented.

Before I saw the Lidl deal, I was ready to stump up for the very similar budle that Halfords are offering, which would have made the H2210 a no-brainer. I suppose it's just a decision of how much real world use I'll get from the extra features.

Comments are welcomed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say that the extra £65 would be money well spent, worth it for Bluetooth alone. I also think it's fairly safe to assume that TomTom is a better solution, bigger userbase, custom POI's, Traffic etc etc.
CakeMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clould Storm,

also worth remembering that with the 2210 and BT TTN, you will be able to use the system on foot. I think the Lidl system uses a wired mouse, so unless you lug a 12v battery with you.......!
CakeMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Storm_Cloud, not only got your name back to front, but I can't spell either! Embarassed
Storm_Cloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CakeMan,

I take your point but to upgrade to BT you are going to have to pay at least another £40, which makes the price difference of the original Lidl deal against the h2210 deal £349 v £455. That's getting close to a third more, which in a way takes me that much further away from what originally caught my eye about the Lidl deal, which was a complete sytem for a budget price.

I'd love to say that money was no object but that's not the case. I like to justify what I spend, and while I can see the practical benefits of BT to use with a suitable mobile, plus the benefits of having dual slots, I don't really see any great benefits for me of having a wireless gps sytem on foot(if somewhere is far enough away that I need GPS, I'm going to be driving as close as I can to where I need to be). Plus, looking at the wireless BT forum that's running I have had my doubts about the wisdom of purchasing any piece of BT kit right now, reliability still seems flaky to me
CakeMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm_Cloud,

Fair point, both about price and Bluetooth reliability. I guess I got carried away seeing the price of the Tomtom kits from ebuyer, just looked like such a bargin. It's when you start to price all the add-ons, like car kit and CF card, that the budget gets out of control.

I'm lucky, I've got a camera that takes CF, so have got a spare card I can use there, and my car (Picasso) has a nice flat spot on the dash just in front of the driver, so hoping to be able to make my own custom mount.

I've bought a few things from Lidl before and have been reasonably impressed with the quality, and very impressed with the value for money. I guess Thursday is decision time, if you do go for it, look forward to seeing how you get on with it on the forum. Good luck!
Storm_Cloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling all the threads of a comparison together, I put together the h2210 challenger, with the best prices I could find. All including VAT

www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

H2210 - Fastlink code - P508 Price - £214.95
Car Kit - Fastlink code - A885 Price - £44.99

Delivery Charge - £4.05

www.ebuyer.co.uk

TTN3 + GPS Receiver - Quickfind code - 60214 Price - £119.22
PQI F1 40x Ultra High-Speed 256MB CompactFlash Card - Quickfind code - 51214 Price - £34.07
(you can get a 256mb for a little cheaper but I thought this one was worth the difference)

Delivery Charge - £5.86

Total cost including delivery - £423.14

So there we have it £74.14 difference between the Lidl system and this one. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

BTW, if anyone knows anyway to keep the spec the same and slice the price due to any deals you may have seen anywhere, please post the details up.
mapmaker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been reading your thread with interest. Is it really true that the Lidl one cannot be used without a 12v power supply? It claims to be a PDA. Also claims to have a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, 1300mAh.

Pretty useless if it won't stand on its own 2 feet - a bit like a 1980s carphone compared to a mobile.

Thoughts gratefully received.

Many thanks
Storm_Cloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapmaker,

No you don't need a 12V battery to operate the Lidl system. If you check the thread we were discussing the virtues of a wired as opposed to a wireless system for utilising the GPS, and as with all wired systems, the only way you can use that function on foot would be to lug around a 12V battery for it to work. It was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. Mr. Green
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mapmaker wrote:
Been reading your thread with interest. Is it really true that the Lidl one cannot be used without a 12v power supply?

This refers to the GPS component not the PDA itself. On the assumption that the GPS is a wired mouse type, these all require 12v power via a cigarette lighter which normally powers the GPS receiver as well as recharging the PDA.

Of course the PDA itself will run on internal batteries when away from a power source but you won't be able to use the GPS receiver if no 12v source is available.
Storm_Cloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that I checked out my local Lidl store and they have 5 bundles to go on sale tomorrow, which seems like a very low amount compared to what I see them stocking other 'specials' at. So I think it's going to be get in quick if you want one.

I have been wondering if they are running this offer as a trial. By selling this bundle in selected areas and semmingly low quantities, they may be testing the water and if it proves to be a succes they may offer the same bundle again some point in the future on a national basis. Or maybe you'd better get one quick just in case it isn't. Confused
sprout
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Lidl's offer. Reply with quote

Hi to everyone,

I have been reading the messages here and others on the net for the Typhoon MyGuide 5500 XL PDA.

To cut a long story short I have just arrived home with one from my friendly manager at Lidl's. Had to pay £349 of course.

I will attempt to ask any questions BUT:

This is my first PDA let alone Sat Nav bit of kit I have owned.

I am technically minded and know PC' inside out.

The kit is very impressive.

It will not power up out of the box, which surprises me, usually some residual charge is present!

I will now read the book a bit and get going.

I fear with no power I may have to leave this on charge for X hrs so using the GPS side may have to wait 'till tomorrow.

I was in PC World just before going to my local Lidl's and I think this unit is as equally impressive looking as everything I saw and probably better than 90%. My view.

Off now to get going.

If you want help/info on this before tomorrow morning please be patient, I promise replies tonight,but it may well be quite late.

Thanks to all the people who have posted already

Martin (sprout) Thumbs Up
stuboc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Lidl Bundle Reply with quote

8) Hi everyone,

I too am new to gps and also considering buying the bundle from Lidl but am wondering about compatability. My family is travelling to France in the summer and would use the gps. But as the maps are by the German company Falk, would I have to buy the French maps from them or would any company do? I have tried e-mailing the sales dept in Germany with no reply. Has any-one any advice.

Cheers Stuart
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to buy French maps to suit the Falk software but if not then you could buy an alternative package such as TomTom Navigator which should work fine on that hardware.
stuboc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Lidl Bundle Reply with quote

8) Hi Darren

Thanks for your prompt reply.

When you say " bundle " do you mean I would need the Tom Tom software aswell as the French maps? If so, do you know how much the software would cost approx?

Cheers Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: