Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK ones are:

Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTomOv2.ver

So just remove those, you can leave the Euro cameras on the device if you want to, or remove them and instal the Pocket GPS World Euro file instead. - Mike
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having issues with my month old purchase.

TomTom want to raise a seperate RMA for each fault I report there are three: Suction holder rubber has split,traffic service seems to have gone bananas,the handsfree beeps madly during calls.

Think I'll get a Medion GoPal or a good old map book.
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an issue which I haven't found yet elsewhere, though I may have missed it.....

I have my 720 setup to turn off the screen in between instructions, which at night it great. BUT, when it switches back on the screen it is at maximun brightness, even if the night view is set to 0%. This is blinding (though the number of drivers I see at night using max brightness & day clours amazes me!)

Tom Tom said they would send me a link to remove the software, do a reinstall & leave for 2 hours, or some combination, but I'm still waiting for the link to be emailed after 2+ weeks. somehow I don't expect anything from them now!

Mike
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a really useful thread, as I too have been tempted by the 720 (am still on TTN5 and no complaints!) but have been reticent about getting one after reading a lot of the downsides experienced by some.

So thanks guys for your (usual) informative input and for giving a balanced perspective to people like me who need courage (and the excuse) to spend out on a complete upgrade. Now I'll definitely put it top of my list for Christmas.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: I Got A 520 From Argos Today - What A Mistake Reply with quote

Took the plunge for £249.99 with a £10.00 gift voucher.

1st test bluetooth
Failed, terrible buzzing noise from TT to caller. Okay the other way.

Box had Argos support number on so I called. After giving all details I said I had a bluetooth problem. "Can't help with that, call this number for second level support"

Called number which was TomTom. Played back the buzz from my home answerphone and said this is a known issue. He then said he would check.

After a wait he came back and said a firmware upgrade would fix. If not get back to them via email he sent (which he did).

Well after installing the totmtom home and upgrading that to 2.1.1.106 my unit is now on 7.020

Did it fix the problem?

NO OF COURSE NOT Sad

Has anyone ever resolved this issue without having their unit replaced?

Many Thanks

HummerUK
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buzzing is a hardware issue, and should be replaced where you bought it from. Most people have had at least one replacement to get a good working 720.

Don't be fobbed off with TT support as they are completely useless when it comes to help on the 720.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Buzzing Noise Reply with quote

If not already mentioned the problem is with the audio of the unit as you get the same buzzing noise when you record your own voice announcements if bluetooth is enabled to a paired phone.

Change preferences, Voice preferences, Record Voice, Continue.

If you disable bluetooth you may be able to make a recording but a couple of times it said "Recording Failed" and one time rebooted itself.

Will take it back this wednesday

HummerUK
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Response From TT Re Bluetooth Buzz Reply with quote

Quote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

There is a known issue with quality of the audio when handsfree calling on your device with certain hansets that we are aware of. From what we have been told by our development team, the issue is purely software related and will be corrected by way of an update to the device which will be distributed via TomTomHome in the near future. In the meantime, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I have also just tried it with my older Sony '3' phone.

No buzz but you cannot hear any sound at all from TTG to person you are calling.

HummerUK
Scainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the 720 two weeks ago and i haven't really had any problems.

I tested the hands free (without being on power) and the call was clear on both ends.

I sometimes get it to freeze for a few seconds when skipping through menus.

The FM sound is lower than the normal radio sound, but i don't really see this as a problem. (just a little annoyance if you forget)

Maybe it would be a good idea if somebody made questions that we owners could answer. They we could tally up the answers and on the top of the thread we would know how widespread the problems are.
Since the update, i think some of the early issues have gone.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Older Model Shortfalls Fixed? Reply with quote

Well having had a 520 now for a few days I wish someone had said most of my shortfalls list for the 910 have been fixed if I had docked it lately with TT Home Sad

Mapshare now added
Unit can now be set to switch off when power is lost
Bluetooth works with my Nokia 6230i with no odd noises
No route error still exist but okay if you create as a POI instead
Music control shortcut key on main navigating screen

520 does have fm transmit but you can add this to 910 and other features are pretty cosmetic

910 also of course has a remote control Smile

HummerUK
HummerUK wrote:
I was thinking of getting a 720 to replace my 910 but was wondering if a couple of features have been added/fixed?

1. If you save your position off listed roads e.g. in a shopping centre car park, will it then allow you to navigate to that location or say "No route possible".

2. Does the 720 auto power up and down by itself when it gets power from the cigarette lighter adapter?

3. I also understand you still have to buy new maps every year to keep the mapshare feature working. Is that true?

Many thanks

HummerUK
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now had my 720 for a few weeks and very pleased with it.

In my area - south east the fm airwaves seem very crowded so I don't use the fm transmitter.

I have found a car kit by parrot, MK6100 which enables you to stream sound to the cars audio via bluetooth. It took a couple of attempts to set up, but it was impressive, mutes sound when on call, audio can be adjusted via its remote control which can be fixed to the steering wheel. Both the screen & remote control can be removed for security.

I tried it all in my local car audio shop, so now just waiting for it to be installed.

I know the 720 has hands free calling, and it works ok, much better now that it is mounted nearer me. But like many people, I have my personal phone and a company phone, so it is great to have 2 hands free kits! My car is my office.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: