Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great help guys. Just bought the Go 720 and so far so good. But where do I find the Tomtom default speed-camera database to delete them? The tutorial on here only explains how to do it using Tomtom Home software.

I don't want to install and use this software. I use a Mac. On Mac I simply copy/paste everything on tomtom to my desktop into a folder called "Tomtom-backup" to back everything up.

So I don't really need any software, but I need to know which folder/file... the default tomtom speed camera database is in so I can delete it/them, before installing the speed-camera database from on here.
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud

You mods are talking to someone who has managed to delete his splash screen when trying to change it! Very Happy

I'm sure it is easy - but just factoring in a bit extra if needed Smile

Just backing up as we speak and then going to sign up for the speed camera database.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Older Model Shortfalls Fixed? Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
1. If you save your position off listed roads e.g. in a shopping centre car park, will it then allow you to navigate to that location or say "No route possible".

Have a read of This Thread as you can get the 910 to work using an off road position, it is just how the off road location is input to the device that is the problem.

HummerUK wrote:
2. Does the 720 auto power up and down by itself when it gets power from the cigarette lighter adapter?
It won't auto power on, but it will power down, you are offered a ten second window to press continue when you turn the ignition off, if you leave the device alone it will auto off.

HummerUK wrote:
3. I also understand you still have to buy new maps every year to keep the mapshare feature working. Is that true?
Time will tell, Map Share is in the early phase of deployment, it would appear from the paperwork that the Map Share will work for 12 months, whether this expires or carrys on we will have to wait and see - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel-DV wrote:
but I need to know which folder/file... the default tomtom speed camera database is in so I can delete it/them, before installing the speed-camera database from on here.

The TomTom peed Cameras files are located in the "Western Europe" map folder so don't delete the folder, open the folder and remove the following files:

Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Fartkemera_SE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Fartboks_NO_TomTom.ov2.dct
Flitspaal_NL_TomTom.ov2.dct
Kamerat_FI_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_ES_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_FR_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_PT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2
Fartkemera_SE_TomTom.ov2
Fartboks_NO_TomTom.ov2
Flitspaal_NL_TomTom.ov2
Kamerat_FI_TomTom.ov2
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2
Radar_ES_TomTom.ov2
Radar_FR_TomTom.ov2
Radar_PT_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.ver
Fartkemera_SE_TomTom.ov2.ver
Fartboks_NO_TomTom.ov2.ver
Flitspaal_NL_TomTom.ov2.ver
Kamerat_FI_TomTom.ov2.ver
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2.ver
Radar_ES_TomTom.ov2.ver
Radar_FR_TomTom.ov2.ver
Radar_PT_TomTom.ov2.ver
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.ver

I would copy the files to the Mac first before removing them from the device - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibb wrote:
Laughing Out Loud

You mods are talking to someone who has managed to delete his splash screen when trying to change it! Very Happy .
Just a bit of friendly banter between us, it helps at time!

Gibb wrote:
I'm sure it is easy - but just factoring in a bit extra if needed Smile
It is - and if you are unsure of anything please ask, someone will come along to answer your query.

Gibb wrote:
Just backing up as we speak and then going to sign up for the speed camera database.
Best thing you can do, once you have the back up copy the folder containing it to another drive or DVD, then keep the disk safe - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
After three devices you are not short of practice, but the times you quote are a little off the mark - 5 mins max if using ogg files for a configured system, ten mins if you use the TTS system and type the warnings using the screen Joker

MUST TRY HARDER (from another Northerner) - Mike

Remember, I'm an OLD 'ard Northerner. Five ogg setups a minute? 12 seconds a setup? You're taking the P!! If I use the TTS system, I'll take all night finding those letter thingies on my keyboard thingy.
1. Warn when near.
2. Select camera.
3. Type distance.
4. "Yes" to this sound.
5. Tick on route.

OK, I can do one in 14 seconds, but I didn't want to put the poor guy off! (Remember, the GO720s have not been my first - I've been on GOs since May 2005 and on PGPSW cameras since Aug/Sept 2005).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Older Model Shortfalls Fixed? Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
HummerUK wrote:
2. Does the 720 auto power up and down by itself when it gets power from the cigarette lighter adapter?
It won't auto power on, but it will power down, you are offered a ten second window to press continue when you turn the ignition off, if you leave the device alone it will auto off. - Mike

Are you quite sure about this Mike? When I forget and leave mine switched on with ignition off and walk away for a minute or two (still within sight of car robbers) it has never powered down. It DOES power down in the manner you say when I have it connected to my PC, but never in the ignition powered mode. Incidentally, I find I have to press and hold down the power button to switch on, not just a quick push as with previous GOs - maybe a development in response to people complaining about it switching on when the power switch was slightly raised - I thought the newer 720 switch being slightly recessed had solved that anyway.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibb wrote:
Please note that if you use the wrong Paypal method (e-cheque) it'll take you weeks to set up the cameras, cos' your payment takes ages to get through to set up your membership!! Twisted Evil (Not pgpsw's fault, Paypal's).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Best thing you can do, once you have the back up, copy the folder containing it to another drive or DVD, then keep the disk safe - Mike
Then make another backup copy next day after you've added all the stuff.

Which reminds me, I've only got 11 backups of my GO710 which is nearly 10 months old now - when you get old, you get forgetful Stop it! and don't do backups as often as you should.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The TomTom peed Cameras
That's just put you into Tom Tom's black book!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Older Model Shortfalls Fixed? Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
mikealder wrote:
HummerUK wrote:
It won't auto power on, but it will power down, you are offered a ten second window to press continue when you turn the ignition off, if you leave the device alone it will auto off. - Mike

Are you quite sure about this Mike?

Quite sure, but the correct operation depends upon a couple of things, firstly the vehicles cigy socket must be switched via the ignition key, if it is always powered up then this doesn't work.
Secondly go to Change Preferences/ Battery Saving Preferences skip the first screen then make sure "Switch off when external power is lost" is selected.

As your unit de-powers when removed from the PC I guess your vehicles power socket is always live - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I get an oddity then.
Power is switched through ignition (proof, GO710 powers up and down with ignition, Phone charger powers up and down with ignition - I have a four way ciggy adaptor fitted to my dashboard).

When I switch off ignition, GO710 powers down, phone stops charging, GO720 stays powered up and never powers off.

When I have GO720 connected to USB socket, but not connected to PC (Home or Win Explorer), if I switch on (and decline PC connection) if I leave it idle for I don't know how long (but not very long, 5 minutes maximum), it goes to power off countdown 10 seconds. This has been inconvenient when I've chosen to use 720 for hands free call at home. But it never happens if I do the same in the van - ignition off, but continue using for hands free. GO720 is now in box ready to go back to Halfords tomorrow morning so I can't check the battery saving settings - can't recall ever doing anything to them though.

Doesn't this mean people can't use it on battery only - that'd be the same as "Switch off when external power is lost" wouldn't it?

Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder, you said to delete all those files earlier in this thread. But I've only downloaded the UK speedcamera database, I've put those in the Western Europe folder. But I suspect I only need to delete the original TomTom UK speed-camera database. Which files would they be? or can I just leave them there?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any files in your map folder that match the file names I posted earlier I would remove them, the list I offered is a full list of full European coverage containing the UK biased camera files - Mike
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

I've downloaded and installed the UK Speed Zoned complete database. But I have not yet removed anything else (list you put up) as I still need a tad of advice.

I travel around Europe so I need Western Europe speed camera database.

If I remove all the files you said, will this mean I don't have Eu speed camera database?

If so, should I download and install into the same folder the "EUR Speed Zoned Complete" database from this site?

There also appear to be some other files in that folder that could be speed camera related, but you did not mention them.

Sorry to sound a bit dumb on this one, but I just don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks again for your great advice.

Oh, below is a cut/paste of all the files that are in my Western_Europe folder so you can see where I'm up to.

This list excludes the 64 UK pocketgps files as I didn't see the need to spend 5 minutes cutting/pasting those too.

Here is the list (excluding the pocketgps files,that are already there too).

Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2
Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Autovelox_IT_TomTomOv2.ver
Blitzer_AT_TomTom.ov2
Blitzer_AT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Blitzer_AT_TomTomOv2.ver
Blitzer_DE_TomTom.ov2
Blitzer_DE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Blitzer_DE_TomTomOv2.ver
cline.dat
cname.dat
cphoneme.dat
crpoi.dat
cspeech_AND.dat
cspeech_AUT.dat
cspeech_BEL.dat
cspeech_CHE.dat
cspeech_DEU.dat
cspeech_ESP.dat
cspeech_FRA.dat
cspeech_GBR.dat
cspeech_GIB.dat
cspeech_IRL.dat
cspeech_ITA.dat
cspeech_LIE.dat
cspeech_LUX.dat
cspeech_MCO.dat
cspeech_NLD.dat
cspeech_PRT.dat
cspeech_SMR.dat
cspeech_SWE.dat
cspeech_VAT.dat
DeletedPoi.local
faces.dat
Fartkamera_SE_TomTom.ov2
Fartkamera_SE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Fartkamera_SE_TomTomOv2.ver
Fartsboks_NO_TomTom.ov2
Fartsboks_NO_TomTom.ov2.dct
Fartsboks_NO_TomTomOv2.ver
Flitspaal_NL_TomTom.ov2
Flitspaal_NL_TomTom.ov2.dct
Flitspaal_NL_TomTomOv2.ver
Kamerat_FI_TomTom.ov2
Kamerat_FI_TomTom.ov2.dct
Kamerat_FI_TomTomOv2.ver
mapinfo.dat
MapSettings.cfg
MapUserPatch.dat
poi.dat
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2
Radar_BE_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_BE_TomTomOv2.ver
Radar_ES_TomTom.ov2
Radar_ES_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_ES_TomTomOv2.ver
Radar_FR_TomTom.ov2
Radar_FR_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_FR_TomTomOv2.ver
Radar_PT_TomTom.ov2
Radar_PT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Radar_PT_TomTomOv2.ver
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTomOv2.ver
tables.dat
tmccodes.dat
traffic.dat
traffic.inc
Western_Europe-5.meta
Western_Europe-5.meta.dct
Western_Europe.pna

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: