Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 volume issue on FM - can it be solved by going wired?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 volume issue on FM - can it be solved by going wired?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: 720 volume issue on FM - can it be solved by going wired? Reply with quote

I am using my Ipod through my Ipod on FM transmitter but the sound quality is awful and very quiet. Too quiet.

So, I am thinking of going wired to my stereo - but it's gonna cost me £150! Shocked

So, before I do so - has anyone here wired their TomTom into their stereo? Does it make the volume level more acceptable?

Thanks in advance for your help!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wired connection will work very well, if your existing car deck has an Aux input (front or rear mounted) simply get a 3,5MM stereo jack lead with the other end terminated to match the Aux in of the stereo.

Some users experiance electrical interference when doing this due to a problem called "Ground looping" if you find this when connected you can purchase a "Ground loop issolator" Maplins sell one for under £10 which works very well, see Here for details.

Why is it going to cost you £150 to do this? - one other idea is to use an FM injection unit which takes the audio out from the TomTom via the 3,5MM socket, modulates the audio on to the FM frequency band and injects this directly through the radio aerial cable, these again are sold via Maplins and work very well - cost circs £30 - with this method you can use the existing radio even if it does not have an aux input socket, see Here for details. - Mike
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to the 720 for the FM transmitter & handsfree the handsfree isnt too bad but could do with more volume, is there anyway to tweak this manually, I found the hidden volume control when on a call but its still not quite loud enough.

I drive all day so I listen to audiobooks to alleviate the boredom, the FM transmitter works fine till I go into London then its hopeless, I used to have a plugin fm transmitter and was set on 87.7 fm which was ok and only had minor interference in London but the 720 Fm transmitter runs from 87.9 fm. since Im in a different vehicle most days hard wiring isnt an option also none of our vehicles have aux sockets on the stereo's.
my only other criticism is when you change the frequency its somewhat long winded you have to manually tap in your frequency then OK it then you get another alert which you have to ok, it would be so much easier if you could tap a button that would take you to the next setting on the scale.

Would it be an idea to start a sticky wish list topic aimed at 520's & 720,s then admin could present these to tomtom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your device will store up to two frequencies that it will use for FM transmission, you can also manually set any frequency you want other than a preset.

The device will remember the last two frequencies so when you go to FM Transmitter and select Change, look at the top right corner of the screen there is a "Next" button tap that to toggle through the preset values.

If you also store the same frequencies in the car radio it is easy to alter the output frequency of the TomTom and then re-tune the radio in the car.

To change a preset simply dial in a new frequency and and press done, the device will now ask you to save the new value as a preset (overwriting the previous value) or simply press "Continue" to use the new frequency without altering a preset value.

I would like to route the phone audio out through the audio socket or even better over the FM Transmitter, sadly this is not possible at the moment, we live in hope this option might become a feature at some future point - Mike
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder - really appreciate your response. Perhaps I could prevail on you for some more advice? Would be really appreciated.

At the moment, I have a Citroen Xsara Picasso X Reg with the built in stereo.

My solution at the moment is Ipod Classic plugged in to the TomTom Go 720 which is broadcasting via FM to my stereo. Then I can listen to my music and have Voice navigation through the speakers. If there is any way at all I can keep this as my solution it would be fantastic.

BUT

I tried the aux option today in a shop - the guy let me play with stereos in the shop. On every single one, the volume on the input from the TomTom was about 8 numbers on the dial lower than the input from other sources. That is with the volume on the TomTom set to 100%

So, I then tried Ipod directly into stereos with Ipod connectivity and the difference in sound quality blew me away.

So, I started to think about ditching the TomTom for Ipod but ideally I would not like to, because I do like the idea of getting voice guidance from the stereo as well as the Ipod.

The FM is patchy at the moment. Sometimes its superb, sometimes it gets very scratchy and hissy. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. And the volume is a problem too.

The reason why it would cost me £150 is because my stereo has no aux in. It just has a muti changer input. Apparently, you have to buy an adapter that changes the multichanger in, to an aux in. The lead comes from connects2 and apparently costs £120 (I've checked this at three shops) + £30 fitting.

What exactly does that modulator do that you linked to from Maplins? Would that help me at all?

What would you do in my situation?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but your input would be invaluable.

Thanks again, for help given and in advance for help still to be given.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FM Modulator takes the audio output from the TomTom and turns it into a radio signal which is injected into the radio aerial wire, the installation does require disconnection of the aerial wire from the back of the stereo and the modulator is then connected in line between the aerial and the stereo.

To use the modulator you simply switch it on via the supplied switch, this disconnects the aerial from the stereo (thus removing any interference - quite handy in London and other heavy populated FM band areas).

All sound from the TomTom and its connected iPOD will then play through the vehicles stereo at whatever volume you like - to get the radio to pick up the output of the modulator you need to tune the radio to a specific channel, in practice it is similar to the FM Transmitter, without any chance of co-channel interference or bleed through as the aerial is disconnected.

To use the radio for normal reception of radio stations simply turn off the modulator and the radio will function as normal with the aerial automatically re-connected.

Note the phone audio will still come from the TomTom speaker as there is no way to output this through an external connection.

I would try the Modulator as its a cheaper option and will achieve a decent sound quality, being connected behind the dash there is very little to see in the car, a simple (supplied) on/ off switch and the wire to the base of the TomTom, all the other bits go out of sight - Mike
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three questions:
1. What do you reckon the chances are that TT will be able to fix this FM volume problem with a software update? I hope so before I blow the speakers out of my car by accidentally changing radio channels when I am listening to the TT MP3.
2. Can I use the WE maps that I have on my Go300 on my 520.
3. Do you think TT monitors websites like this for feedback?
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazzza wrote:
3. Do you think TT monitors websites like this for feedback?

They can't give the correct reply to an email question, so how do you expect them to understand anything that is posted in the forums.

as an example I was on the phone this afternoon with TomTom support about MapShare on the Go720 only to be told by their support person "The TomTom Go 720 does not have or support that feature, it is only available with TomTom version 7 software" This he repeated twice. At which point he hung up after I very politely pointed out to him that he was a brain dead Muppet and over qualified for the job he was doing.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
sydoveton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just got my 720 the other day and yesterday tried using the iPod - FM Solution and like everyone else got terribly low ipod sound and blisteringly loud voice prompts cause I had turned the radio up so loud.

Today I took my car for service and got a crappy little Mazda 2 and it had a Aux in and got a relativly good sound mix yet music was a little quieter but not as bad. I then made three changes:-

1) On the Tomtom turned off the 'Link Volume to noice level' in the 'Volume Settings'
2) On the ipod (nano Gen1) turned off sound check
3) Set the 'Volume Limit' to Maximum in the settings

Now I have excellent sound levels for both voice and music using both Aux and FM, infact the music is louder now with the FM than the Aux.

When I get my Mazda 6 back tonight I will try the FM (as no aux) and see if it's better in there aswell, I will report back
sydoveton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that my ipod volume is at full volume on mazda 6 which was previously terrible before following the steps above, can anyone else confirm that this works for them

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: