Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have now done the exact same journey as you did from the M65 down the A56 on to the M66 to J2 (Bury) where I doubled back and drove all the way back to the M65.

The reception I got is best described as patchy, with lengthy areas of no reception.

I have repositioned as you suggested and tried two different mounts, tried unplugging and plugging back in very firmly and still no difference at all. I do get the best reception with the wire straight up the centre of the windscreen and back across the bottom, but I get nowhere near the 99% coverage that you did on the same journey. When I go past Tesco I have not had reception since dropping down the hill to the roundabout at Rising Bridge, and the reception does not resume until Ramsbottom area. This is little difference to the original unit, other than I would not get reception at all on the A56 around the M65. From what I can see I have avery slight improvement with the new version, but nowhere near acceptable.

The only thing I can think of now is that it is the GO510 that is either faulty or not as sensitive as whichever model you are using. I know it is not my car as I have tried in a Corsa as well and get identical results.

I think I will be back to the place of purchase tomorrow and give them the whole lot back as not fit for purpose and go and get a different model - anyone got any recommendations for a Sat Nav with RDS-TMC that actually works?

Thanks for all your help on this, but after 8 months of waiting I have had enough.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I took the screen shots I was using my Go-720 in my Volvo 740 Estate, and the aerial was as supplied I have not yet found it necessary to connect it to an external feeder.

RDS-TMC is not too good in the UK as the radio strength is low to start with, couple that with the transmitter locations which are best described as remote and you start to paint a very difficult picture with respect to reliable reception.

I have long since given up with the Garmin RDS-TMC since they switched off the local transmitter, even though this is now working again (albeit on a different frequency) I don't like the Garmin traffic display as I find it "clunky" to use when driving.

The only other RDS based device I have tried is the Navman T1 receiver - this worked very well and can be augmented with an external aerial if required, the Navman receiver is at least supplied with an external aerial connection point.
If traffic information is vital to you I would look at the GPRS based service to be honest, out of all the systems I have tried I still rate Route 66 as about the best when it comes to TMC, this is via GPRS and requires the use of your mobile phone, the big plus point with R66 is the Traffic service is included in the original purchase price - no ongoing charges, but you need a PDA to run the software - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

RDS-TMC isn't the most important thing in the world to me - I am just annoyed that some 8mths later I still haven't got what I paid for.

I wonder of the 520/720 are more efficient/sensetive when it comes to the RDS-TMC - it would be interesting to comapare in the same vehicle at the same place to see if one gets a signal and one doesn't. I don't think my car is having any effect, because if I take the unit out of the car on the mount I still don't get reception, kind of proven by the fact that I can get a signal on the living room window, but only if the entire receiver is vertical. If I simulate the shape it has to be mounted in the car it loses the lock. I have even tried the whole length of the receiver at a 45 degree angle across the windscreen and that doesn't get a lock either.

I will try my luck with the 'not fit for purpose' line and see if I can get a refund from the retailer, but I doubt it somehow. If I do, I will get a 520 and see if I can magically hang on to the receiver!!

Andy
paulday
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just a thought, might not be connected but you never know.

I assume that the 720 is using Nav 7.xx, with the 510 still on 6.5xx, could the newer navcore be better for the TMC than version 6?

Paul
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Mike,

RDS-TMC isn't the most important thing in the world to me - I am just annoyed that some 8mths later I still haven't got what I paid for.

I wonder of the 520/720 are more efficient/sensetive when it comes to the RDS-TMC - it would be interesting to comapare in the same vehicle at the same place to see if one gets a signal and one doesn't.

Andy

Just sent my receiver off,did'nt think to try it with the 720.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device won't make much difference to the RDS reception, I have tried the -013 receiver with a TomTom One Third Edition, XL, 720 and 910 the performance is about the same irrespective of device. The weak link with the x10 units is still the mount which can cause disconnection of the receiver when it bounces on the contact strip - I do get this from time to time with the 910 - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

It it strange how I get reception back in exactly the same place every day.

I dont think it is contact bounce, as I can pull in at a layby in a no reception area and get out of the car and take the mount and aerial off of the screen, attach the 510 and try and get reception outside of the vehicle and can't, and this is in a place where you can get reception fine with a 720 inside a car - at the top of the hill on the A56 about half a mile from the start of the M66 heading southbound.

I definitely have something duff here - I have raised again with TomTom and will wait to see what their reply is.

Andy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - quick update - I connected an amplified external antenna feed to the v3 receiver - the plastic cap just pulls off the end of the wire so could feed a signal in here.

It made very little difference - I still do not get reception in areas with a GO510 where Mike does using a GO720.

I have either got something faulty or the x20's are just better optimised.

I am going to see if anyone at work has a 520 or 720 I can borrow to see if I can get a signal on that using my receiver - I suppose there is always a possibility that the replacement receiver is duff.

Andy
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a bug with the new receiver.On my OneXL it picks up stations easily even coiled up,if I then plug in the charger it can`t pick up any stations even if i tune manually it says there is no signal,unplug the charger and manually tune to the same frequency and it connects straight away? It also tunes more finely if the charger is unplugged,when connected it takes big jumps through frequency`s.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically, that sounds like a problem Garmin had last year, where the car charger was adding additional interference that prevented the TMC unit from working correctly. Of course with the Garmin units at the time, you had to have them plugged into an external power supply for traffic to work, which made diagnosing the problem more difficult.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask people who have received replacements units, where were they shipped from, UK via Royal Mail? If this is correct my replacement has all gone wrong and a FOC unit has been shipped, but it is coming from the Netherlands via UPS, I have the tracking number.

Also what version are people receiving, my update says 'TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver EU v3.75 [M]'
Wizard_of_id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my new TMC-RDS is coming via Royal Mail, and according to the replacement the part is;

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver EU v3.0 [M] 2V00.004.2

Basically, if it looks anything like what I had, then I believe its the wrong item - the bizarre thing is, I've got no idea what the newly developed RDS-TMC looks like? Any help on this, how will I know I have the correct item - other than trying it of course.....

Hope this helps

David
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizard_of_id wrote:
I've got no idea what the newly developed RDS-TMC looks like? Any help on this, how will I know I have the correct item
Have a read of a post I made a while back which can be found Here it will show you the differences between the different types - Mike
Wizard_of_id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, much appreciated - looking forward to lots of stress free motoring.... perhaps?..........
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think of trying it without the charger plugged in!!

Got rid of any other possible interference I could think of - turned off bluetooth, no mobile phone in the car, unplugged the charger for the mobile and the double socket adapter!

I will try tomorrow running off batteries and see if I get a signal, plus I am borrowing a friends 910 to see if that is any different - having problems finding anyone with a x20 though to see if I can get a signal with my receiver in my car on that.

Interesting that there is now a version 3.75 - have TomTom discovered even more problems?

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 21 of 30

Jump to: