Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another GO 720 fault.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another GO 720 fault.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Dennis. If you keep changing it every 28 days, like you have been, you'll eventually get to when the 920 is released and then, when you return it, just ask to do an upgrade and pay the difference. Wicked plan - I hope Halfrauds don't see through it or you run out of branches in your area.

In fact, thinking about it, you could just keep doing returns permanently every 3-4 weeks. That way you'd always be able to switch to the latest machine for free.

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis

Im surprised you are persevering with the 720, I gave up after replacement number two. It really is a complete bag of doodoo.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
Wicked plan - I hope Halfrauds don't see through it or you run out of branches in your area.
This one is the FIRST from Halfords, so running out of branches is not yet a consideration. Even if it were, at my mileage, there are Halfords all over the place for me to use. I can easily think of enough within a radius of 25 miles to keep me going until the 730 comes out at least! Very Happy Do I want the 920? - what's it got that I'd like (apart from "new")? - maybe I heard something about finding its way in tunnels? Anyway, we'll see tomorrow. I shall go in for an exchange or refund, but either way I intend to have a new one this weekend.

teecee90 I'm persevering because I honestly think it's a great device - I thought so the minute # 1 came out of the box and I haven't changed my mind despite the duds. All I need is for the next one to be as good as this one, but with hands free working properly (it died again today, but I was in too much of a desperate state to switch the video on).
Personally, the only thing I think wrong about it is poor memory size, but even then, I'm not actually in need of any more, just think it should have been better. There are niggles, of course, speech recognition and Mapshare, but both are new features which are bound to improve (or should I say "work"!) over time (so long as they don't go to second line support and pay a bit of attention to users - if those considerations aren't oximorons!!). Maybe I should have included Home, but EVERYBODY already knows that's a bag of doodoo!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was just the Handtec batch that was completely duff then, but it was enough to put me off the device for good.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to pack mine up and send in to TomTom for repair (hands-free issues). This is my "first" 520 (been through the GO range since launch) and I have to say it's the worst for software robustness. I love the new design and the suction cup/mount is great IMHO but the quality of the software ruins the party.

Every trip I discover a new quirk or bug and mapshare is next to useless (it doesn't save or report my changes). Hopefully things will improve over time but a month on they can't even get a fix out for the XULRunner. I'm living in hope that someone with some common sense and authority at TomTom has told development no more software releases until you're sure that you're offering a solid product with most of the crap ironed out. Then again...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
I'm just about to pack mine up and send in to TomTom for repair (hands-free issues).

Is that a wise move? Didn't you get it from a recognised retailer? I am persevering with my retailers for exchanges. Halfords managed to put me off yesterday until tomorrow - refused point blank to exchange without authorisation from TomTom and I let them get away with the promise to phone TT first thing Monday (and let me know - I said "Don't bother, I'll be in here at 9am standing beside you"). They DID put a new one aside with my name on it though.

Tomorrow, I won't put up with their twaddle about it (stating quite clearly on their warranty document) being excluded from their 28 day refund/return policy - I'll be going for the jugular - "Sale of Goods, Fit for purpose, Gimme my money back, Never mind your rubbish policy" (although actually all I want is another brand new one).

Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Is that a wise move?

I guess I'll find out!

I got it from Currys online, but after a lot of messing about it slipped past the 28-day window and I had little choice. If the "replacement" isn't any better I to will have to go for the sales of goods act. Oh what joy that will be...
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.............Tomorrow, I won't put up with their twaddle about it (stating quite clearly on their warranty document) being excluded from their 28 day refund/return policy - I'll be going for the jugular - "Sale of Goods, Fit for purpose, Gimme my money back, Never mind your rubbish policy" (although actually all I want is another brand new one).

So, how did you get on Dennis? Did Halfrauds replace it for you or give you a refund?

Refund is probably better as they're getting cheaper now that Xmas is on the way - you'd save a few bob.

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
So, how did you get on Dennis? Did Halfrauds replace it for you or give you a refund?

GROAN!!!
They had a brand new box waiting for me when I marched in at 9am - they couldn't possibly have phoned TT and got the OK since the store manager arrived to phone TT at 9am. So I reckon he just refused me yesterday to be 'aaard!

However, GROAN!!! I'm having a hell of a job with the new one.
First, I uninstalled all TT Home from my PC and reinstalled from the CD, Home release 1.6.020. That works happily with my GO710, downloads Quickgpsfix and after saying yes to the component download, operates it from the PC
It also works happily with my 720, downloaded quickgpsfix AND Mapshare updates AND v7.010. This despite me not logging in for the new one - I was waiting to see if bluetooth hands free was satisfactory before I committed to yet another set of e-mail address and password. With a single phone call (incoming) whilst I was messing, it took the call, so looked like it works.

However, it won't get the phonebook from my phone - the previous three 720s did that with no bother at all. It has currently been "busy" getting the phone book for half an hour, but still nothing.

In the meantime (trying to get the phonebook for hours) I considered maybe I needed to wake it up by "registering" it in Home. So I spent another age setting up another e-mail account (a difficulty for me - I'm thick as several planks with that). It didn't make a jot of difference, so I thought maybe I'd better let it upgrade to Home2 so I said Yes. It DIDN'T!!! I also tried to operate the 720 in the same manner as the 710 - changed device (now logged with new email etc) to the 720 and clicked on My GO720 and it went to download component, the bar filled up completely, but then nothing except it telling me to click the power button (on the invisible 720) to disconnect. I've tried the reset button a few times too.

And now I'm unhappy! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Crying

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many TomTom devices are stored on the phone?? it could be this that is confusing the phone / navigation unit, lets face it a 710 and four 720 all connected at some point to the same phone - Mike
box2k2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I'm a fairly regular sufferer of the problem you describe.

The repeating noise is the last 1/4 second of what ever was going through the TT at the time. I've had everything from complete silence, through my boss repeating "A", to a high pitched voicemail "Beep", which nearly killed me before I was able to reset the device.

My TT will restart, but takes approx 10-20 seconds to turn off, and has lost all settings changes since the last restart, so you have to reenter the route etc. I've not yet had to press the reset button, just be patient.

Interestingly the TT does continue to navigate while all this is going on, although you don't get spoken directions.

I think its the sound routine/module crashing and getting stuck in a loop. Unless anyone knows better, I'm guessing it's firmware based, and am waiting for an update.

The problem is not regular enough to make the device totally useless, and I do get days when it operates perfectly.

I also agree with you that the TT has the best feature set around, if I could get this sorted it would be perfect.

Martin
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

box2k2 wrote:
Dennis,

I'm a fairly regular sufferer of the problem you describe.
Martin
Thank goodness somebody else knows what I'm talking about! But mine would NOT restart or switch off, I had to reset it. Whereupon it not only stopped navigating, it restarted navigating to the PREVIOUS destination!! Lost the time, lost my spoken camera warnings. All round displeasing. And being as mobile phone is my ONLY way of getting calls for work, disastrous.

And Mike, my phone had only my super new expensive MacBook Pro17 paired - I deleted all other pairings each time I took the 720 back and never did keep the pairing for the 710 because hands free performance (speaker) was rubbish.

Anyway, I rang Halfords this morning and after speaking with a numpty later spoke with a brighter guy, who eventually got back to me (after speaking to Tom Tom) with an offer of either a replacement or a refund - the latter because he was concerned that all the other 17 he had in stock might be the same batch and similarly faulty (this latest one won't get my phonebook from my phone - Nokia 6230i which IS compatible and worked fine with all the others).

So I'm going in again tomorrow morning for another. This time, he's offered to see if it'll pair with my phone and get my phonebook before I go away with it. I'm in two minds as to whether or not to accept the refund offer, but to be honest, I WANT a GO720, not a refund. Just worried the next one will have similar problems. If only I could keep my itchy fingers still for a couple of months, they might have sorted everything out. But I can't wait (dead keen, plus at my age, you don't want to be putting off until tomorrow anything you can have today!!).

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a back up of a previous 720 with the phone book installed to the 720 and thus the data will be in the back up?

If so simply copy the file from the back up to the 720 and it will work, I had some fun last week trying my 720 with a mates mobile, it refused to transfer numbers offering error messages on the Nokia, after about 6 or 7 mins it had transfered 480 numbers and contact details, and they worked - on this occasion it just appeared not to work - try it again before you go to the shop just in case - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Do you have a back up of a previous 720 with the phone book installed to the 720 and thus the data will be in the back up?
Blimey Mike, you're so smart I could almost believe you're a Southerner Smarty pants!!! I did look at what was in Contacts on the 720 tonight and (as I suspected) it contained only a truncated set of incoming calls received today and of calls made too - both incomplete, so I suspect there is something problematic with the connection or summat (without the phonebook, I had tried ringing people back, only to discover they weren't in the calls received list). I do have a 13th October GO720 #3 phonebook in backups. However, only yesterday I added a few more names to my phone and may do at any time, so being able to copy the phonebook is more than useful, it's vital. SO IT'S GOING BACK!!

That's four useless email addresses and passwords, another to come with GO720 #5! GRRRR! My computer wall is getting full of post-its!

mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Is there hope for DennisN Reply with quote

Posted this of to TT yesterday
I have been having trouble with hands free calling from the beginning, I can hear the caller but the caller can't hear me, unless i put the 720 right up to my mouth. Seeing as many others are having this same problem do you have a fix for this, will it be fixed in the future by a software update or should I send the unit back for a refund.
I have no problems with the 720 reading my text messages, or with Plus

TT answered
There is a known issue with quality of the audio when handsfree calling on your device with certain hansets that we are aware of. From what we have been told by our development team, the issue is purely software related and will be corrected by way of an update to the device which will be distributed via TomTomHome in the near future. In the meantime, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.
So there you have it. TT are going to put a fix out Rolling Eyes
Do we take this with a pinch of salt Question
No need to replace my 720 Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: