Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackwellgraham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you actually go about getting the TMC replaced? I just logged another question with tomtom asking for a replacement, and rxd the usual patronising test telling me how to plug it in, had I got the latest version of Navcore etc.

If there's a re-call program, its a very well kept secret.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your device does not work in that it just sits there constantly tuning but not picking up data you need the replacement receiver, write to them explaining that the unit is functioning but not receiving or displaying any RDS-TMC information and as such needs to be replaced with the newer more receptive device. - Mike
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaconlegal wrote:

I have no idea whether RDS signals are likewise polarised, but if they are, perhaps that is why the standard pattern for laying out the antenna contains both a vertical and a horizontal component - so that it can receive signals of both orientations.

:

According to BBC Engineering they tell me their FM transmissions are broadcast at 45 degrees because most FM listening is done on car journeys,perhaps this is why most car antenna`s are at 45 degrees.Ford used to build the antenna into the rear screen horizontally claiming it gave better reception. All I know is my one works Horizontally,but then again it also works coiled up in the footwell.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried horizontal and vertical and can't tell any difference.

I must live in a very poor reception area as can't get a stable lock until halfway down the M66.

If anyone else is driving north out of Manchester on the M66 can they confirm that they lose the signal somewhere around the Ramsbottom/Edenfield junction as well.

I am going to go for a compromise - up the side of the windscreen and then across the top as my TomTom is in the bottom right corner I reckon I will get about equal lengths of each.

Anyone who can verify the M66 RDS-TMC black spot please do.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
If anyone else is driving north out of Manchester on the M66 can they confirm that they lose the signal somewhere around the Ramsbottom/Edenfield junction as well........

Anyone who can verify the M66 RDS-TMC black spot please do.Andy
Andy, I decided to have a look at reception around your area earlier this morning, I was traveling from Blackpool to Stockport so the M66 is a good way to avoid the caos on the M61 every day. OK I was Southbound which would count for a small difference in reception, but the return trip later in the day was about the same through the same road network.

The following screen shots I am sure you will recognise being from that area:

Here we start on the M65 about to leave it for the A56:

Next is the roundabout near the Macdonalds:

Now we pass the Tesco's store which is on my left:

Next is the climb up the hill prior to the Northern end of the M66:

A junction close to the start of the M66

To be honest there is little point in me posting up more images because after this location my receiver kept a constant lock on the RDS reception all the way down the M66 / M60 to Woodford (near Stockport).

It did break reception and display the orange ball for around 15 seconds at one point prior to getting on the actual start of the M66, but it imediatly reverted to the Green ball and displayed good traffic data, surprisingly low volume of traffic this morning, but slowed down all the same beacause of the fog/ mist.

Does your car have Athermic glass? - keep trying with different positions for the aerial, but I found no reception problems earlier today - Mike
Constantinos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all the RDS/TMC sufferers...

I got given a new TomTom One 3rd edition (UK) which doesn't have the ability to get traffic info through a mobile, so the RDS/TMC receiver is my only option!

As TomTom seem useless in telling me where I can get the new model, has anyone here found it online or at a store? I know someone mentioned Comet a couple of weeks ago - was that definitely the new model then?

Cheers,
Constantinos
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike

So, I have a duff receiver (again) a duff mount (I will try the spare from the wifes car) or a duff TomTom 510.

It is not athermic glass, I have a 2001 Frontera Sport, so the back half of the vehicle is fibreglass anyway and it has two glass sunroofs so I should be able to get a pretty decent FM signal in the car anyway. I will play with the spare mount and try different positioning but so far I have seen little difference between the v3 and a v1 receiver.

Thanks for confirming that you get reception - I will take a drive up the A56 to see if I get a lock up on the tops, and then double back at the roundabout with the M65 and see what happens as I head back towards Manchester.

Thanks for taking the time to test this for me.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, try the following for aerial positioning:
1/ Attach the end of the aerial at the top of the windscreen 5CM inboard of the lefthand "A" pillar.
2/ using the second sucker stick the aerial to the bottom of the windscreen, again 5CM away from the "A" pillar.
3/ run the cable to the drivers side of the vehicle as far as it will go then position the 510 Mount so you can plug it in.

The above is how my unit is set up in the vehicle, if you have the FM transmitter mount or any other FM transmitter in the vehicle make sure it is not set to a frequency anywhere close to 101 FM (I use 106,3 for my transmitter and get no problems of interference) - the other possibility is a duff mount, if the unit is bouncing on the contact strip it will be disconnecting the RDS receiver which will reset it and / or lose reception - Mike
Constantinos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a reply from TomTom - the plot thickens! Apparently the model number is 2v00.006.

Quote:
Dear Symeonides,

The new model will be available from retail outlets in the near future

part number is 2v00.006

Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
[/quote]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have also reported this number on the paperwork, but the small paper part number flag on the device states the .013 number when they received the replacement - Mike
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzr1200 wrote:
I've just been doen to Comet to check if they have the new receivers or not and am REALLY confused now.

It does have a straight connector, can't say how many plastic lugs to hold it to the windscreen as the box was sealed. The ART no on the box was 9v00.013 and the PART no underneath the ART no was 5v00.105

I've no idea if this is new or not?

However the box said it was suitable for the 910,710,510 and ONE XL and you need to be running software 6.525 or later.

If it was a revised design, surely this would be updated?

Any thoughts/advice most welcome but I think I'll have to wait a bit until pther retailers are stocking them.

See my earlier post. The ones in Comet are definately NOT the latest version. Appart from anything else, they have no ferrite rings attached, and simply dont work !
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried both mounts (in the house) and I can get a lock with the cable extended vertically up my living room window. As soon as only half of it is vertical I seem to lose the lock.

With the mount I was using in my car I seemed to have a bit of a dodgy connection at the socket - plugging the receiver in and out a few times seems to have cured it.

I will try your aerial positioning in the car Mike, I prefer to have the TomTom on the RHS of the windscreen, but if the only way I can get this to work is by moving to the centre then so be it.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the TomTom on the right just deploy the cable as far as you can accross the dash before running it vertical up the screen, I found this was in the line of sight for any passenger sat in the left seat so I moved the device to compensate, although most passengers are used to wires and strange devices in my car by now, it is known as a mobile test lab!.
The important part is keeping the aerial wire at least 5 CM from the metal work of the car structure.
The 510 mount certainly won't help if the nav unit is 'bouncing' on the connector though. As for connecting the RDS device, it does require a firm shove to mate fully with its socket, once connected I tend to leave the RDS unit in the car with the mount - Mike
Wizard_of_id
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: I simply cannot believe it? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I got an email from TT asking me to send my TMC-RDS for replacement, delighted I filled out my details and waited. Received the packaging and sent it off, and today I got this..........

Dear Mr. David Thomas,

We have received your defective item(s).
Replacement of your defective item(s) is not covered by warranty. For replacement of your defective item(s), we request that you pay the following fee: € 50

You can pay by using the following web link http://www.tomtom.com/rma/index.php?action=pt&rma=DER07092761311&rid=761311

The items(s) will be replaced and sent to you within 5 to 10 working days after we have received the payment.

They expect me to pay for it?????????????? I'm glad I was sat down - I've given them both barrels through the email but has anyone else been asked to do this?

I'm totally bowled over by this one.
Mr910
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I simply cannot believe it? Reply with quote

Wizard_of_id wrote:
A few weeks ago I got an email from TT asking me to send my TMC-RDS for replacement, delighted I filled out my details and waited. Received the packaging and sent it off, and today I got this..........

Dear Mr. David Thomas,

We have received your defective item(s).
Replacement of your defective item(s) is not covered by warranty. For replacement of your defective item(s), we request that you pay the following fee: € 50

You can pay by using the following web link http://www.tomtom.com/rma/index.php?action=pt&rma=DER07092761311&rid=761311

The items(s) will be replaced and sent to you within 5 to 10 working days after we have received the payment.

They expect me to pay for it?????????????? I'm glad I was sat down - I've given them both barrels through the email but has anyone else been asked to do this?

I'm totally bowled over by this one.

I got the same message at the start of the week after 30 mins on the phone to support again I got a very apologetic girl who said she would remove the charge and get the replacement unit sent.....

3 days later I get another email asking me to email over my POP I saved this as a PDF and uploaded...

Had nothing back yet no more email request, no update on my unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: