Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 310 directions Fastest and Shortest not very good
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 310 directions Fastest and Shortest not very good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altern8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Garmin 310 directions Fastest and Shortest not very good Reply with quote

Hi

I recently bought a Garmin 310 and after using it for several days I have knowticed that the settings for it are a bit hit and miss.

Yesterday I drove to Birmingham and it took me to the location but it was further then the way it too me back home.

It took me two junctions up the m5 and then 20 mins though the town but the way home it was 15 mins to the m5 and then 2 juctions closer home.

It also seems to go down some awful roads and usally work out slower then going the long way Confused

Any ideas ?

Cheers
Craig
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 310 directions Fastest and Shortest not very good Reply with quote

Try changing the vehicle setting to Truck. This sometimes helps.

The issue is that way that the roads are classified by Navteq/Garmin.

Garmin only classifies roads into 5 different speeds, and I'm pretty sure that the slowest is 25 MPH.

Anyone with a full Mapsource product can check the defaults:

Residential: 25 MPH
Collector: 35 MPH
Other Highways: 45MPH
Major Highways: 58 MPH
Interstate Highways: 67 MPH

A lot of those smaller country roads are classified as Collector Roads, with most of the smaller A roads classed as Other Highways. When it comes to a choice of 5 miles at 35 MPH or 7 at 45 MPH, it chooses the shorted route, irrespective of the fact that you'll barely to 20 on the small country road, and 60 or more on the A road.

It's a bit more complicated than that but if you simulate route on the Nuvi it will show you the speed it's using to calculate the route.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Same in BE Reply with quote

I've the same problem in Belgium on my C550. I live in a town with small country roads (where only on car can pass at a time).
I tried to change to Truck as verhicle, but the effect is that it tries to direct you as quick as possible to a highway, which is much of a detour.

I wonder if it's a problem with the navteq maps or the Garmin software and things will be better with the next release of city navigator.
I don't see much updates appear anymore for the C550 (last was from April), so the device is maybe at a dead end?

Or is it better to go for other solutions (eg TomTom)?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly find that, in rural areas and with both devices set to fastest route, my TomTom GO 720 directs me on main roads, while my Garmin i3 uses the country lanes.

I live in a rural village and, as I'm now retired, I'm not usually in a hurry, and I enjoy driving on the lanes more than the main roads, so the i3 routes suited me most of the time. I haven't tried it on shortest route, as I suspect it would direct me along footpaths and across fields!

When I first used the 720, with default settings, I was disappointed that the routing was on major roads, but I've found that changing to shortest route usually directs me on the roads I prefer.

So, in my experience, a TomTom device can direct you on whichever roads you prefer while a Garmin device will take you on minor roads regardless of the setting.
Samsung Galaxy S21
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really a very useful answer. Thanks for that.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC, if you'd like to give me a departure and destination address for a route where the Garmin takes you on minor roads I'll put it into the TomTom and let you know the route it gives.

You can PM the addresses to me if you prefer.
Samsung Galaxy S21
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

So, in my experience, a TomTom device can direct you on whichever roads you prefer while a Garmin device will take you on minor roads regardless of the setting.

Interesting.. I was a long time user of TomTom Navigator (from it's first release upto and including TT6). I now own a nuvi 660.

I live in a very rural area - can just about see our 'next door' neighbour.

The TT Nav always tried to route me down an unsurfaced bridleway to get to the road to get me to the motorway (M56/M6 junction). Now there are a couple of houses down this lane - the top part of it is an unadopted road - but the lower part of the bridleway is actually the entrance route for a farm. It's not possible to drive any motorised vehicle down this lane. It gets too narrow and there are 6ft potholes (literally - you can walk down into them and not see out of them). This is the bit between the end of the unadopted road and the entrance to the farm, which comes in from the opposite direction.

The nuvi shows this track but doesn't attempt to route you down it until you set pedestrian mode - much nicer. However I would like an option to ignore unclassified roads and force routing to use M A and B roads. But, like Anita, I quite like the odd tootle down a quiet country lane - unfortunately a lot of them in Cheshire seem to be full of 'off-road' vehicles who refuse to move off the tarmac when you try to get past. I guess they don't want to get them dirty Razz
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
The TT Nav always tried to route me down an unsurfaced bridleway to get to the road to get me to the motorway (M56/M6 junction).

Would be interesting to see whether TT devices still do that. Do you want to PM details so I can try it?

Incidentally, I checked out a route for EddyDC, and his response was "Even the quickest route on the TT doesn't send me through the small roads like the Garmin does."

philpugh wrote:
- unfortunately a lot of them in Cheshire seem to be full of 'off-road' vehicles who refuse to move off the tarmac when you try to get past. I guess they don't want to get them dirty Razz

Sounds familiar! But don't get me started on off-road vehicles, especially when driven by women taking the children to school. Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, Off Topic I know!
Samsung Galaxy S21
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

Would be interesting to see whether TT devices still do that. Do you want to PM details so I can try it?

PM'd you some details!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update to the above.

I gave philpugh the 720's fastest and shortest routes. He replied that, while the fastest route was the 'correct' one, "The shortest route is the 'wrong' one. It is using the bridleway to cut across country . . . It seems to point to a mis-classification of the bridleway by the mappers (Teleatlas) whereas NAVTEQ get it correct. I've reported this to TomTom / Teleatlas for the last few years!"
Samsung Galaxy S21
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand on Anita's extract from our off line exchanges...

The bridleway is an unadopted road for the first part (accessed from the South) and then a bridleway/farm access road for the rest (only accessed from the North) The bit in between is not passable by vehicles larger than a cycle.

Interestingly the bridleway 'continues' across the public road it joins to the North. TT doesn't try to route down this. My GARMIN nuvi 660 recognises the track and only uses it if you select bicycle or pedestrian mode. (Which is correct). It's been like this since the first release of TomTom Navigator and I used to keep reporting the error - given up now!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: