Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 720 - Teething problems...help please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 720 - Teething problems...help please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumpjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: New 720 - Teething problems...help please! Reply with quote

Just received my new 720 to replace a Go700 which I had previously which was stolen.

I can't get the free safety cameras to activate through Tomtom home 2.0 as I have a previous (lapsed) subscription which it is insisting it wants to download even though the files are no longer available.

I also updated my Western Europe maps last Christmas and it keeps wanting to download those again even though I have the new series 7 maps on the new device. I am worried it will overwrite the new ones so I have backed it all up properly.

I also do not seem to have the various "Guides" (First aid etc.) on my device as it just comes up with an error message when you press help.

Anybody got any ideas...?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you've got a dud device. Stop messing with it and take it back to the nice shop and get a replacement (or a refund and buy one elsewhere). A new device should not be giving you these problems.

The (next) new one should be backed up before you do anything. Do the backup using Windows Explorer (set to show all files and extensions), don't use Home to backup (except AFTER you've done a Win Explorer backup and only if you feel you really must).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home also keeps trying to re-download my old UK and Eire map even though I've now got a 720 and TT deleted all record of my 300.

I think Home knows I "own" that map and is just desperate to give it to me again.
On Home v1.x you get the opportunity to download these things but not install them - doing that stops it continually asking if you want their speed cameras for example.
But on Home 2.0 I'm not so sure there is a chance to stop it doing whatever it feels like!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
But on Home 2.0 I'm not so sure there is a chance to stop it doing whatever it feels like!
It offers the various downloads, but you have the chance to Un-tick them, and then it leaves that download out.

I haven't tried the OK to download, but DO NOT Install option yet, if there is one.

At the moment I'm only using it for the GPS Quick Fix. I'll try it when I have some spare time. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
It offers the various downloads, but you have the chance to Un-tick them, and then it leaves that download out.

But don't you just hate un-ticking them all every time.
I was trying something out last night and must have connected to Home about a dozen times. that's a lot of tick boxes whist shouting "Don't you KNOW I don't want them, you stupid *****!!! (I must get out more...) Cool

At least v1.6 had a "select none" button, IIRC
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
But don't you just hate un-ticking them all every time.
I was trying something out last night and must have connected to Home about a dozen times. that's a lot of tick boxes whist shouting "Don't you KNOW I don't want them, you stupid *****!!! (I must get out more...) Cool

If you do download anything, it will Install without saying 'Please', and then proceeds to delete the downloaded File. There is no Option to Install later.

If you need that update at anytime in the future, then you have to go all through the download procedure again. Rolling Eyes

Andy_P2002 wrote:
At least v1.6 had a "select none" button, IIRC
In HOME Preferences you can have it set to NOT search for downloads when the Device is first connected. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
gray52
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get rid of that old map, my 660 is far better that this v705 rubbish!!
jumpjim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved it!

All my problems boiled down to the fact that Tomtom Home had installed the new unit software onto the SD card that I have plugged in with my US/Canada maps on it.

As a result I think the unit was booting from the SD card rather than the internal memory.

I deleted the system software off the SD card and everything works just fine now including the guides, missing voices etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: