Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - But what does it Mean! GTM Status page
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

But what does it Mean! GTM Status page
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: A Quick Update Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a Quick Update. I've got my second GTM 12 unit from Garmin and I have much the same issue at home. I have taken a longer drive with it and there are some differences. I have received traffic information near Gloucster and Oxford, and it now "locks" on to a few more stations (I get status 2 with 91,99,159, 151 and 138) Also when I was receiving messages the status was 5.

My Guess is that the list of TMC transmitters that Mike has supplied me is out of date. I can see the Winterhill transmitter on there and from what I can see in some other threads this was sold, and stopped transmitting data around December last year.

I've also dug a little deeper and found that the TMC frequency for the Local Transmitter (Alexandra Palace, 196 or 107.1 FM) is for Choice FM. A station run by the same group as Classic FM:

[url]http://corporate.gcapmedia.com/index.php?id=25 [/url]

Guess us Traffic Master users will just have to put up with a slow erosion of our service as Itis broadcasting groups slowly take over our transmitters Sad

Unless Gamrin swaps to what appears to be an increasing coverage with Itis.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct the POI file is little out of date with respect to WinterHill, I chose not to remove it at the time because it looked like they were going to fix the issue, eight months later on it would appear not.
WinterHill now appears to be sending out Traffic information ident signals on 100.4 and these are be picked up all over the North West using a TomTom receiver (iTIS) at the moment there is no data being supplied, the sooner that is turned on the better as far as I am concerned.
I picked up 100.4 most of this morning driving from Lytham to near Stockport, once I got near to Bury the device re-tuned to 100.1 and received true information from Classic FM.

To be honest at the moment RDS-TMC in the UK is plagued with reception problems, no system offers a true reliable service across the country - Mike
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted this up last year in October which Garmin emailed me. Obviously i can't say it's upto date and correct for now. But hope it helps

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is as upto date as my POI file, i.e. it depicts the wrong situation with respect to WinterHill (it is still on the map), I am not too sure how many other stations have changed, I will ask them for a full frequency listing - we might get an answer by Christmas, but I won't put money on it being this year - Mike
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: 98 transmitters on the wall Reply with quote

98 FM transmitters,
and if one of those transmitters should happen to fall,
97 transmitters on the wall,
97 transmitters on the wall
97 FM transmitters,
and if one of those transmitters should happen to fall,
96 transmitters on the wall,
(etc.)

Check out http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/page.cfm?key=RDS_TMC

They state that the have 88 transmitters. That's 10 less than in the list that Mike has (sorry pandemic, couldn't be bothered counting icons on your map).

It looks to me as if service IS decreasing, rather than increasing. My guess is that for a receiver pathced through a car aerial coverage is probably good enough. I just wish there were a way to boost reception for the GTM 12.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: But what does it Mean! GTM Status page Reply with quote

swing wrote:
inspiredron wrote:
I, too, would like to know what the headings mean

CC - Country Code
SID - Station ID
LTN - No idea Smile
However, SID and LTN are normally fixed across the particular TMC network, so as long as you are seeing the TM figures, and not the iTIS figures, you are fine Smile
MODE - I think it's 2 is searching, 3 is locked on. No idea what 1 means.
N-SYNC - Not sure, and it's too early in the morning to go out and play with my GTM unit to confirm. 255 means no messages flowing though, anything less means messages are flowing.

Just got back from a trip to France and Spain.

Mode: 5 means locked on; 2 means searching on a restricted range of frequencies where it has found data; 3 means that it is doing a full sequential frequency scan of the whole spectrum (because it has failed to lock on with a mode 2 search). Could not fathom difference between N-Sync 0 and 255.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, not sure which unit you have but have you tried it in a different car, makes a hell of a difference. I tried both the GTM 21 and GTM 12 in a Picasso and they were useless, but worked fine in my car. Now have a GTM 10 in the Picasso and get a signal virtually all the time.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - windscreens with coatings (athermic windscreens, common on French manufacturer cars amongst others) will cause a severe degradation in the ability to receive FM signals within the car.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my issue is that same as everyone elses. In North London you're too far away from the week transmitters. If I head towards central london I'll start picking up messages from channels 83 and 187. Driving up and down the M1 I get messgaes going past Dunstablel, and also when in Oxford I get messages from channel 151.

At this stage I'm considering an FM aerial splitter, and wiring the GTM 12 straight into the car aerial. I've tried attaching an extra length of FM aerial cable with not much difference. I think the key is attaching to an amplified source. Getting a longer antenna is no good, as it's powered by the GTM unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: