Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS on a Mobile Phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS on a Mobile Phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: GPS on a Mobile Phone Reply with quote

I hope this is posted in the appropriate Pocket GPS World forum.

There are a number of mobile phones which incorporate a GPS as standard (e.g. Nokia N95, 6110, O2 XDA ORBIT, etc).

Can anyone recommend a phone which does the GPS to a decent standard? Battery life isn’t too important to me as I can always put the phone on charge whilst it is being used as a GPS device. Other phone gadgets don’t really bother me too much either (video recording, internet browsing, etc). I would much prefer to have a built in GPS receiver, good size screen, decent map software (that doesn’t depend on GPRS too much) and can be updated for foreign countries.

I hope this isn’t a tall order. I can’t think of a better community of GPS knowledge…can you help?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orbit is based on the HTC P3300 Artemis and is a very capable machine, the GPS is very good, the screen is clear and readable, have a read of This Thread where I listed some thoughts on the HTC version.

If you don't need WiFi you could also consider the T-Mobile MDA Compact-III which again is based on the Artemis but has no WiFi capabilty like the HTC/ Orbit. For software you can load practically anything that will run on a PPC, the two applications I like for on road navigation are TomTom and Route 66 - neither of these require GPRS unless you want to use the traffic service (free with Route 66) or Plus services in the case of TomTom.
For off-road/ walking I use Memory Map, and a whole host of other GPS related applications on the unit depending upon what I am doing with the unit at the time. Note only the true HTC P3300 Artemis will correctly geo-cache photographs using the onboard camera, the other derivatives can all do this but mess up the seconds value for lat/ long thus your picture is displayed a few hunded yards out of position, the HTC unit is spot on each time - Mike

The N95 is a bit of a problem at the moment as the main applications cannot use its inbuilt GPS receiver, so in order to work they must be used with an external Bluetooth GPS Unit, this rather negates the advantages of it being built in - Mike
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Your review is very informative and on the strength of it I wouldn’t hesitate in buying one especially as I am O2 customer (which suits me as I get a good reception at home with O2).

I noticed on the O2 website, however, the phone comes bundled with “CoPilot” software, not TomTom. Is this an issue? The “Premium” version does not seem to be available either, I guess I should just buy the extras I need (windscreen mount, car charger). Would you agree?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Premium" version only applies to the HTC Artemis which is supplied with TomTom pre-installed to the ROM of the device and maps on a DVD. The T-Mobile and O2 versions are not supplied in this way.

Co-Pilot is a capable application but these days the maps are quite old, a newer version of this application is due out very soon though.

If you get the Co-Pilot application for free and find you don't like it, simply purchase another package and install that. As for car holders and chargers there are many devices available, I use a Herbert Richter twin Artemis holder as detailed Here but I have also used the Brodit mount for the device which is equally as good, although access to certain buttons and the reset is slightly more difficult see Here

Either option will set you back around £45 for a decent holder but would you trust a £10 holder to secure a £400+ device, you want it to be secure and no chance of it flying off the screen during heavy braking or even normal driving, cheap mounts are not worth entertaining to be honest - Mike
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copilot will be fine on the orbit and will do everything that tomtom does some thing will be better others will not be so good if you can hang on until cp7 is released and get that as from what ive seen and read about it its much improved

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Tonymaddocks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?product=DB4D6BD5-6B99-4E02-9CD0-FD52074A1D91 cp7 is due out 1st Week October. How long would a new release normally take to filter down to a mobile phone provider like O2?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im wouldnt know that im afraid but i would think that o2 will like to get hold of it as soon as they can the same for t-mobile

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: