Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Partners With The Subaru World Rally Team
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Partners With The Subaru World Rally Team

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld Partners With The Subaru World Rally Team Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comPocketGPSWorld.Com have partnered with the Subaru World Rally Team (SWRT) and over the coming months we will be working together to bring some superb first of a kind rally related content to compatible navigation devices.

In the meantime, to wet your appetite and with kind permission of SWRT, you can now download an official Subaru World Rally Team Car cursor compatible with TomTom GO 520, 720 and 920 navigation devices by visiting our Custom Cursor download pages.

Stay tuned for more news and to keep up to date on all the Subaru World Rally Team news visit them at www.swrt.com.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be you should point out that Subaru WRC team and Subaru rally cars used around the world are built and developed by Dave Richards Prodrive outfit at Banbury England
Prodrive have also been responsible for race car development such as the Ferrari driven by Colin McRae at LeMans 24 hours 3 yearsd ago finishing in the top 10 and they developed and built the latest Aston Martin DB9R cars and run the Aston works race team. Dave Richards also spearheaded the take over of Aston Martin from Ford.
Prodrive also enter F1 next year, rumoured to be the McLaren "junior" team.
So Subaru WRC is another great British Motorsport success story.

Britain does not get credited for much these days, but most motor racing siuccess comes from these shores in one way or another Laughing

And how about something for Garmin users !
Surprised
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
And how about something for Garmin users !
Surprised

All in good time!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true that so much of motorsport has its routes within our shores, but I think the point being made by the team is that there is more potential for GPS within the rallying fraternity than other areas - so I doubt that it was a case of anything being overlooked, just less appropriate to GPS.

I guess that rallying is also closer to 'normal' driving conditions than most other motorsports.

Travelling at the speed of a Subaru WRC though, you could really do without mapping errors and GPS processing speed might be more critical and being a bit of a gadget man I'm interested to see what the PGPSW team have up their sleeve with this one.

We also have a great history of speed records and, as far as I know, the Richard Noble team with Thrust SSC still hold the land speed record.

What I think is a great shame is that places like Brooklands, where you might argue it all began, are just allowed to decay.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it under your hat, I am a Motorsport Professional / Consulatant and Prodrive have been clients of mine in the past.
Prodrive interests cover such a wide spectrum of motorsport as well as Rallying that the link should provide positive benefits for all be it for navigation or track positioning to help crunch data logging in race cars Wink

Prodrive is a superb flagship for British engineering and racing, blowing our own trumpet is something we Brits are not so good at.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I won't say a word to anybody - your secret is safe with me...and the rest of the forum Laughing

I've frequently driven past Prodrive and there always seems to be something going on, even in the fairly early hours of Sunday mornings.

I used to work in the building next to where Ferrari built their chassis...then they moved out and McLaren moved in to build the F1 and then the Ferrari design team moved back a few buildings away in the same industrial estate.

Those guys work hard and play hard, but you have to remember that it's a way of life rather than just a job.

cantgetlost wrote:
blowing our own trumpet is something we Brits are not so good at.

No we're not and it's a shame that we don't put more effort into putting the "Great" into Britain.

Motorsport is possibly doing so well in Britain because of our engineering heritage and so many things that have originated within our shores - railway, TV, telephone and we were once the textile capital of the world.

Don't tell anybody, but my grandfather was integral in the downfall of the British textile industry - he was MD of a company which refurbished old cotton mill machinery before shipping it east Wink
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's, we'll keep it quiet Laughing
Prodrive produce several hundred Subaru rally cars a year for shipment around the world apart from the other race projects. Apart from manufacturing they have race and rally teams arriveing back from testing and racing at all times.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but the Subaru cars they produce for the WRC are about £400,000 each and slightly out of most peoples' pockets.

The Subaru WRT appeared in a documentary on Discovery Channel a short while ago - very interesting.
Granby64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, being a Subaru owner and a great fan of rallying Very Happy went to the German rally this year and was a guest of the SWRT Cool
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using webazar.org's TripMaster to pre-drive a course, then use Offroad Navigator to run it? Seems like with the new x20 series you could probably get a pretty accurate set of course notes by recording your own commands.

Also, while ProDrive supports the SWRT in most of the world, I believe that Vermont Sports Car (www.vtcar.com) supports their woefully-limited North American antics, at least in the X-Games if not WRC.

For those who can't afford the half-mil for their own rally-prepped Scubi, VSC will actually rent their creations and provide support staff for private entries.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
For those who can't afford the half-mil for their own rally-prepped Scubi, VSC will actually rent their creations and provide support staff for private entries.

Sounds good, but I bet that's not too cheap either and then you need to add travel expenses and accommodation for a trip 'stateside'

I always feel sorry for the poor guy who has to get the car spotlessly clean in between stages...only for it to come back just as dirty or smashed to pieces.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be launching our Wales Rally GB POI set in co-operation with Subaru WRT tomorrow morning.

I feel like one of the navigators having been hunched over a set of Rally GB Road Books for the last month!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: