Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulc1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved? Reply with quote

http://www.yournav.com/content/n/373/Problems_with_TT_RDS-TMC_solved.html

Hope this will have the same result in the UK
AlanCollier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are these going to be sold for?
Is the traffic data provided actually any use in practise?

--Alan
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this been fully tested in the UK Question Question

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold your breath, they're better but not a solution IMHO.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried one, Darren?
I tried to get an extra paragraph added to that review about use in the UK.... I was told it hadn't been tried (by them) in the UK but that the reception situation in Holland was almost as bad as in the UK, and that the comparison between the old and the new was significant.

Whether TomTom themselves have tested it in the UK they aren't saying, but if they haven't then they are bigger fools than even we think they are!

And I think if a price had been announce, the review would have said so....
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved? Reply with quote

paulc1976 wrote:
http://www.yournav.com/content/n/373/Problems_with_TT_RDS-TMC_solved.html

Hope this will have the same result in the UK

In what way is the UK comparable to Holland Question
Where are the facts and figures to quantify this statement?

If TomTom expect us to believe that this will work for us(UNTESTED) and part with even more money to be beta testers this can only lead to commercial suicide IMO,especially considering the problems people are having with the X20 Gun Shoot Out

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved? Reply with quote

forky wrote:

In what way is the UK comparable to Holland Question
Where are the facts and figures to quantify this statement?

See my answer above yours.
The UK is comparable to Holland in that the original receiver didn't work there either.
As the new receiver DOES work in Holland, that gives hope to users in the UK. That is all the report says.

Your guess is as good as mine as to whether TomTom themselves have tested it in the UK yet, but I think you'll find plenty of people WILL be prepared to act as beta-testers, and I bet TomTom are perfectly aware of that. (Just like they conned us into buying maps with APPALLING built-in POIs, and have now enlisted us all (with Mapshare) to do the donkey-work for them so they can sell our own results to us all over again.
They're not daft....

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved? Reply with quote

forky wrote:
If TomTom expect us to believe that this will work for us(UNTESTED) and part with even more money to be beta testers this can only lead to commercial suicide IMO,especially considering the problems people are having with the X20 Gun Shoot Out
If I understand correctly, TT already have an army of testers just waiting to trade in their old ones Laughing.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Have you tried one, Darren?

I have but I'm awaiting clarification on whether I am allowed to discuss the results publicly. Although I think the bottom line is clear.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK we have the OK to discuss this. Opinions are mixed on this new version, some of the UK testers have found it has improved matters, I have not managed to get any signal at all!

Whether it is the answer to all our prayers is another matter, my feelings are it is not. Ostensibly it looks the same as earlier designs but has a longer cable and small ferrite's on the antenna itself. MikeA our resident antenna expert reckons it has better sensitivity so they deserve some credit for improving it but until I get a signal it's not the solution!

I'm awaiting an answer on how existing customers get their earlier designs replaced with this new one, there will be a replacement program and I will post details as soon as I have them!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried this new 'improved' RDS-TMC unit around Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cumbria and Lincolnshire with quite a considerable success, it does not offer 100% connection but I have found it typically will lock to the correct channel and receive data within seconds of switching it on, this is in areas previously devoid of any reception at all. To quantify this, previous receivers on long trips from Home to Coningsby would result in reception around 10% of the time, 15% on a good day. The new receiver offers reception for about 85% of the same trip, the missing bits I can live with as they were / are of short durations.

Previous attempts by me to drag performance out of the RDS units have centered around connecting performance aerials to the devices with some limitted improvement, this new unit does not require any external feed to work. Just install in line with the instructions and DO NOT run two RDS devices in the car at the same time as this leads to interference.

You do not get the green ball lit all of the time, but reception of information is quick and it can rapidly receive information, 190 plus traffic incidents received during a 20 minute drive is the best I have seen to date, this again was in an area (Fylde coast) where you never received any data with previous iterations of the receiver.

I would also like to point out the photograph in the linked article is incorrect and details a different RDS-TMC device to the new one, this probably explains why the part number had been wiped out prior to publishing it. The unit in the picture is the receiver previously offered to Europe as a new device with x20T products IIRC.

It could be in Darrens case the receiver is DOA or the local transmitter is down, my unit is working receiveing data from over 60 miles away from the transmitter, as supplied with no external feed connected.

So in answer to the questions about testing in the UK, yes it has been performed in some areas, certainly not all (but there are more people than Darren and myself with this in the UK), the improvement in reception is considerable, I still feel the omission of an external aerial connection point is a bad move, but as I mentioned earlier I have not found the necessary, not everyone wants cable aerials spread across the dashboard though, and I now need to find something else to use the roof mounted aerials for, the car resembles a pin cushion!

All we need the suppliers to concentrate on next is the quality of the suppied data, which is, in my opnion a separate issue to the previous problems centered around reception, improved reception will shift the onus to the quality of data IMHO, but the new designed receiver is a significnt step in the right direction - Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My findings are more in line with Mike's than Darren's, although in my case reception with the unit installed following TomTom's advice fell below par (although still better than with previous units).

With it mounted a dfferent way on the windscreen I can get reception from home (nr. Gatwick) all the way around the M25 to Heathrow. With the previous incarnation I lost reception at Leatherhead and got it back again at Staines. Testing is ongoing.

Darren and I are going to swap receivers sometime this week to see how we fare with the other's.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that MikeB has had similar results to mine, i.e. zero reception.

As Tim has said though, we'll try swapping our devices to exclude a faulty unit as being the root of my poor results!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some good news! I can now get a signal on the M3 which was a no-no before and other team members have had similar results. I was initially sceptical but it would appear that repositioning the antenna has made a big difference.

So how do current owners of earlier units get hold of a replacement if they are having issues with poor reception?

Log a support call with TomTom and they will arrange a swap for a replacement unit, the Product number of the v3 receiver is : 4V00.013.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Just install in line with the instructions and DO NOT run two RDS devices in the car at the same time as this leads to interference.

Would this mean I can't use my FM radio - it says AF-RDS on it?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: