Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spoken POI alerts for PocketPCs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spoken POI alerts for PocketPCs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLOpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Spoken POI alerts for PocketPCs Reply with quote

Is there any of the current Navigation programs for Pocket PCs that allow you to import custom POI's and give a spoken alert upon approach, even possibly calling out the actual Speed limit?

This would be great for Speed Camera, and school zones or even black spots and red light camera warnings.

Im planning on getting the Tytn II which runs WM6, but im keen to hear about any program, whether they are WM6 compatible or not.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom version 5 or 6 can both issue spoken alerts relating to a POI by using suitably created ogg files, Route 66 offers the same capability. You can find more information about using ogg files and download them from This Page.

TomTom do not officially support WM6 but it is known to work on some (but not all WM6 devices), there appears to be an issue with product activation when using certain "Home made WM6 ROMs - whether this is going to affect all WM6 platforms is not known).

All the Route 66 web site states is required is "Windows Mobile 2003 or higher" - so it should be Ok - Mike
GLOpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Is it true that Route 66 offers greater detailed on route mapping?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the level of detail in either product is about the same, over the next 12 months most Navigation products will start to add buildings and true 3D views - but not yet (and its not something I personally like the idea of to be honest) - Mike
GLOpro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i actually saw something about 3d buildings but like you , i dont really like it.

Im presently using Copilot Live 4 (with Ipaq H5550) and i really like it. i dont need the 3d view, but im planning on getting the HTC Tytn II soon and i want all the stuff i would really like, such as spoken street names, spoken camera and speed zones etc etc.

Plus i would love to be able to get a daily travel report that would not only show GPS co-ords but also match them with street and suburb addresses automatically.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: