Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding a POI to a POI file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding a POI to a POI file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Adding a POI to a POI file Reply with quote

Hi, I have found a 7.5T bridge which caught me completly unaware with no signs at either end of the road, fortunatly I was only driving an 18 ton flatbed unloaded "PHEW". I'd like to add this bridge to the bridge POI file on my tomtom for future reference and for others. Any help on how this is done would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Bridge POI files are height based is yours weight based? - if so where from as I am sure quite a few other HGV drivers would be interested.
It is possible to add a single location to any POI category just go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Add POI Select the category then follow the menu to select the best method to add the position from the available options presented - Mike
rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.poihandler.com was the place I downloaded the weight limits for trucks but this bridge is not listed and it's a nasty little road to. If you tell me what to do next I'll upload it.

Kev
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load the file into POIedit and add th location and name,description and then save and load as usual
rebootuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine. Can you tell me how to save the complete POI file with the added restriction to my hard drive. I have the origional file there which I downloaded to the SN. Cheers

Kev
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have added the extra data, save the file from POIEdit with the same name (but preferably in a different place on your PC's harddrive, so you still have the original if something goes wrong.
Then, just copy and paste the new file back into the map folder on the TomTom where it came from, using Windows Explorer.
Explorer will throw up a warning message asking if you want to overwrite the old file of the same name. Agree to that, and Bob's should be your uncle.

Incidently, in future you might find it quicker to simply add the new entry to the POI file using the TomTo itself, rather than all that rigmarole you've just gone through.

When you find a bridge you want to add, just do the following:
Tap screen / Change preferences / Manage POI (on page 2) / Add POI.

Select your "Bridges" category and you can then add the new data by one of the usual methods - pointing to it on the map, entering the Lat/Long, or, (if you are sitting on it at the time) using "GPS position"are probably the best methods in this case, they are all on page 2 . Smile

If you want to share the info, just send the co-ordinates or the whole "bridges.ov2" file to the website you got it from.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: