Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 660 Map Update to 2008 Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 660 Map Update to 2008 Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
percyv143
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Nuvi 660 Map Update to 2008 Problem Reply with quote

Hi. I just received my Nuvi 660 Map update 2008. I tried to update the map but there is an error, it says that my : This Garmin GPS is not eligible for this update because a previous map version is not installed."
The Nuvi came with no cd that I had to install in my PC. The update software is looking for an installed map software before it can update my Nuvi 660.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks.
gomara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no need to have anything installed on the PC. I assume you have North America (NT) V8 already installed on the Nuvi. The install routine should detect this and upgrade. Are you sure you got the NT upgrade disk, not the standard one?? The standard one would not work as there would be no previous version installed....i.e. you need City Navigator NT 2008 Update.
percyv143
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I have, Map Update 2008 City Navigator North America NT (Update DVD)". I called support and they said that they had to update their data base. I don't know how that'll work.
Is there any other way to update it?
Thanks.
percyv143
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the issue myself. Still, there is still no fix from Garmin. How I did it. I had browsed the dvd and looked inside each folder and I found out a folder where an MSI setup file is present for different languages and I chose ENU(English). Ran the msi file. Opened Garmin icons and run Mapinstall, this has been installed after I ran the MSI file.
Logged in to my garmin account and went to update map and got the unlock code, 25 characters.
In the Mapinstall, there will be a window where it would ask you if you have the 25-chars, choose YES-type it. The map then will be unlocked and continue setup. You would come to a point where you will choose which section of the map will you install, if you choose all, the space will be approx. 980MB and it would say that the space in you Garmin GPS device is not enough, mine was approx. 570MB available. So, I had exlored the Nuvi and copied the *.img (approx. 1Gb of image file) to my Desktop and deleted it from the Nuvi device. Continued the Mapinstall, since the additional space has been freed it will continue to install the map sections you chose.
After setup is done, disconnected the Nuvi device and turned it on. checked the Mapinfo version, now it's 2008.
Great. No need for Garmin support, for now. Smile
Hope this will help someone with the same issue.
ispringer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percyv143,

Thanks for the tip - it worked great! I had the download version of the map update, rather than the DVD. Here's the slight variation of your instructions:

1) Download the map updater exe file (rmu_cnnant2009.exe) from Garmin and run it.
2) When you get the "This Garmin GPS is not eligible for this update because a previous map version is not installed." error, do *not* exit the updater program.
3) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\ and look for the newest .tmp dir (for me, it was 7zS50.tmp) and cd to that dir and then to its Msi subdir. You should now be in a dir that looks something like C:\Documents and Settings\ips\Local Settings\Temp\7zS50.tmp\Msi\.
4) In the Msi dir, look for the msi file for your language (e.g ENU for English/US) and run it.
5) Once the installation fully completes and you've exited the installer, you can exit the original updater program.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ispringer wrote:
percyv143,
3) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\ and look for the newest .tmp dir (for me, it was 7zS50.tmp) and cd to that dir and then to its Msi subdir. You should now be in a dir that looks something like C:\Documents and Settings\ips\Local Settings\Temp\7zS50.tmp\Msi\.

Or you can use any decent program which does unpack archives and extract the complete content into a directory or burn it onto a DVD for Backup purpose. You will get the same files as you find in the temporary directory during the installation of the download version.
BTW: I've used the Total Commander to extract it, don't know which archive type they used, it just worked with that program.

BeatO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: