Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom720 - Hard Carry Case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom720 - Hard Carry Case
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: TomTom720 - Hard Carry Case Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to find a hard carry case for a TomTom720 ?

If so, is it any good, and where can I buy from ?

Thanks.
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carry case on tomtom website is a con. It DOES NOT have a facility to store SD cards. I raised this with TT last week and have still not had a reply. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
iyad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I made the same mistake, no place for card and the case so small that 90% of the time TT will switch on and stay on and the battery is drained. Trying to contact them as well
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try something like these:

Silver Leather Carry Case

Premium Black Leather Case

I bought the cheaper silver leather case and, for the money, I am very pleased. Excellent quality.

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
You can always try something like these:

Silver Leather Carry Case

Premium Black Leather Case

I bought the cheaper silver leather case and, for the money, I am very pleased. Excellent quality.

Nice One hindsight

Have just purchased the silver one

Many Thanks

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw some in Halfords the other day - overpriced junk - as the previous writer said they haven't even had the common sense to include a SD card holder in it - which would have been handy in a unit that uses SD cards for music etc. It doesn't have a belt clip which also would have been handy. Rolling Eyes

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
beej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought the silver one linked above from eBay. It looks like its designed for an earlier model of TT, maybe the 910 or something?

My 720 fits, but not snugly. The case is very saggy. Its not leather as far as I can tell either, its a leather effect plastic fabric.

But it does the job until I find something a bit better, I was only really worried about dropping it and scratching it Smile
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - well I saw a TT branded Deluxe Leather Case advertised on http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=120765&#moreinfo - their description said this :

Features:
Unique design allows you to use the device while it's still in the case , e.g. connect your ear-phones to the device while it's in the case.
High quality luxurious leather.
Attractive design that matches your TomTom.
Includes storage for SD cards.

So I thought that must be a different case to the one the earlier poster complained about. Wrong ! It doesn't have any storage for SD cards.

Apart from that glaring failing there are more issues with this tacky looking and shoddily produced piece of junk:

It can't really be used in the case because there is no facility to plug in the power lead while it is in the case, not can the on-off button be accessed. And of course it can't be fitted to the dash mount when it is in the case so how the hell do TT think you can use it - balance it on the dash perhaps, dangle it off the interior mirror, superglue it to the winscreen ..... ?

The case is so small that the front panel which closes the case is extremely hard to click into the catch - you have to push it really hard and I am sure you could very easily damage the screen in doing so. The only way to get the 720 out of the case is to push hard on the back of the case - this puts a thumb-sized dent in it which doesn't pop out again - I am really doubtful if it is actually leather at all (it feels as if it has some sort of cardboard stiffening in it - maybe Dutch cows have cardboard hides !)

This is going back to where it came from ! I can't be bothered to complain to TT - I already have outstanding issues that they haven't bothered to respond to yet after a week, like:

The issue with changing my device code to the replacement unit I now have, having returned the original faulty one, so I can access my account and use the Traffic subscription that is clocking-down unused while they fiddle

The inability to back the unit up because the backup keeps stalling and reporting corrupt files (TTHome or Windows Explorer)

The issue with the POI warning sounds I set reverting to default all the time

The battery that lasts under 2 hours

The TTHome 2.0 software that is utterly useless

I haven't found any more faults yet but I have had little time to discover them, what with sending a unit back, waiting for a replacement, spending hours trying to get TTHome 2.0 to work etc. etc. Rolling Eyes

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
Studio_two
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think the Go 520; 720 units are all the same size.

But, would a case designed to fit the TomTom XL also fit or would it be a bit too large / small?

TIA,
Stephen
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used blueunpluged and were very good !!

On the Amazon website it gives reviews of the sat nav cases by persons who have purchased them it gives a good idea if they are up to the job

I bought this one it does the job okay but there is no SD card pocket if that is important to you

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_274577_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_58762_crumb_84370-33925_parentcategoryrn_58762
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi john877
I also purchased my case from Amazon and it is the same as yours. I think its extremely good and it keeps the device safe, snug and sound. However, although I have no need for SD Card storage space unfortunately others users do.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these

Although you cannot see from the image it has space for two SD cards in the top cover. The mounting slot is available at the rear so no need to ever remove the TT from the case unless you want to sit it on the home dock (I just use a normal USB cable). All the bottom sockets (usb, headphones, traffic connector etc are available while in the case as well

The case is well padded (particularly the section covering the screen although it is not solid.

edit to add: If you click the more info link on the product description then better images are available
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything designed for a Nintendo DS (Lite) is a perfect fit for a Go x20, x30, One XL etc.
Covenant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

When I got my 720, I got one of the moulded cases from TomTom - this broke pretty much immediatly.

Because I am cheap, I "recycled" my old XL case - works lovely, but you may need to put a little extra padding inside, it does rattle a little bit (but not much) Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go720 lives in my old Go300 bag! Embarassed
(It's a bit saggy where the "paunch" is, but so am I!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: