Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Powering GPS antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Powering GPS antenna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Maplins come up with the following options
N39CX for £32,99 a four way charger with four AA 2400mAh cells
N05BW £10,99 four AA 2400mAr cells
Cost total £44 for the charger and batteries, not quite the 2700 capacity but you will only loose a few mins in usage time.

Shame you don't live local I could have loaned you a set of batteries if you only need it for a week - Mike
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are stuck with using what you have, I would suggest an altenative power source with just one set of 4 x AA batteries.

The cigar lighter lead of the GPS is a 12v to 5v transformer. So you could (and should) by pass the transformer and use 5v source instead.

Cut off the cigar lead and connect a 4xAA holder direct to it.

In this case you can forget about getting a cigar socket and it is a much lighter system.
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Looking at Maplins come up with the following options
N39CX for £32,99 a four way charger with four AA 2400mAh cells
N05BW £10,99 four AA 2400mAr cells
Cost total £44 for the charger and batteries, not quite the 2700 capacity but you will only loose a few mins in usage time.

Shame you don't live local I could have loaned you a set of batteries if you only need it for a week - Mike

I wish I lived nearby too or had time to order but I must start tomorrow (today).

I bit the bullet and ended up getting Uniross 2100mAh AAs with a Uniross recharger as well as a 4pk of the same type AAs

1. It was brought to my attention that the NiMH AAs are 1,2v instead of 1,5v and 8 will only give me a total of 9,6v instead of 12v.

2. I'm having problems with the charger which only seems to accept the batteries with which it was sold--It won't accept the any of the other 4pk of I bought (identical to the other 4). I have the "Sprint" recharger and the lights flash as if the batteries were not compatible.

Any ideas?
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:
If you are stuck with using what you have, I would suggest an altenative power source with just one set of 4 x AA batteries.

The cigar lighter lead of the GPS is a 12v to 5v transformer. So you could (and should) by pass the transformer and use 5v source instead.

Cut off the cigar lead and connect a 4xAA holder direct to it.

In this case you can forget about getting a cigar socket and it is a much lighter system.

Ohhh. It's not my equipment. I don't mind going into the powered mount with a soldering iron if necessary but any changes must be only temporary and reversible.
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seemed to be with the 2100's sold with the recharger. The recharger wouldn't accept them. I have two new packs of 2300s which seem to be charging fine.
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Battery Source Reply with quote

Try
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=rechargeable+batteries+aa

If you're quoting €'s are you in Ireland: if so of course you have Argos there, Evil or Very Mad
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: 12v sockets Reply with quote

Try
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=155082&categoryId=31342
Embarassed
& Argos sell too.
Car accessory shops also sell the sort with 2 loose fully enclosed sockets with flying lead & lighter socket plug ; that may be easier to wire into
battery box, after cutting off plug. Confused
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v sockets Reply with quote

peasemore wrote:
Try
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=155082&categoryId=31342
Embarassed
& Argos sell too.
Car accessory shops also sell the sort with 2 loose fully enclosed sockets with flying lead & lighter socket plug ; that may be easier to wire into

I'm in baguette-land. I don't think any non-essential item is reasonably priced.

It all works except that the iPAQ runs off of it's own battery and therefore I am only limited to about 1 1/2hrs.

I believe that I either need to add MORE batteries or get rid of some as they are only powering the GPS receiver and the red LED on the mount. The iPAQ battery is listed as 1100mAh. Should I up the added mAh on the batteries to that or above?

If so, I'm wondering if a sealed lead battery would be better? They are heavy but I've read that they carry a lot of mAh's. --I have no idea how much. I would like 4+hrs of autonomy.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iPAQ should have an option in Settings/ Battery to enable or use USB charge - make sure that is selected and fast charge selection if applicable.

You shouldn't need to make up the battery pack to match the iPAQ battery any capacity cell (s) will work as long as the output voltage is within the rating of the car charger cable/ regulator.

The capacity from a set of 2300mAHr when fully charged should give well over 4 hours usage powering the GPS and the PDA - Mike
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The iPAQ should have an option in Settings/ Battery to enable or use USB charge - make sure that is selected and fast charge selection if applicable.

I don't see it. Under the Power settings are under Main--the battery level and under Advanced-- "Turn of device if not used for..." when using battery power and on external power.
I assume this model does not have that option Crying or Very sad

When I think about it, it is strange that it is not using the battery pack power since it will use the car battery and the charge from my computer.

Could it be that the total battery voltage is 9,6v instead of 12v?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, but most voltage regulators (the part that is in the ciggy lighter plug) will work of anything above 6V, they only provide 5V to the actual PDA, you could try adding a couple of extra cells to get the voltage up to 12, or simply load the battery holder with throw away batteries as these are 1,5V per cell so 8off = 12V - Mike
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the extra batteries tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image below shows what can be done with eight NIMH batteries and it powers the 4700 for some considerable time, note the charge light is illuminated - the amber LED on the top left of the device. For this creation there is a voltage regulator built in to the case so the iPAQ is never presented with more than 5V in the same way the charger cable you are using should work.

Mike
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v sockets Reply with quote

Cantaloupe wrote:
peasemore wrote:
Try
Embarassed
& Argos sell too.

I'm in baguette-land. I don't think any non-essential item is reasonably priced.

It all works except that the iPAQ runs off of it's own battery and therefore I am only limited to about 1 1/2hrs.

I believe that I either need to add MORE batteries or get rid of some as they are only powering the GPS receiver and the red LED on the mount. The iPAQ battery is listed as 1100mAh. Should I up the added mAh on the batteries to that or above?

If so, I'm wondering if a sealed lead battery would be better? They are heavy but I've read that they carry a lot of mAh's. --I have no idea how much. I would like 4+hrs of autonomy.

It should power/charge the PDA as well as the GPS.
You have to supect that it (the GPS cable set) may be faulty.
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v sockets Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:

It should power/charge the PDA as well as the GPS.
You have to supect that it (the GPS cable set) may be faulty.

I added 4 more batteries so now there are 12. 12.6v.

NOTHING

I connected the cigarette lighter adapter to a separate 12v line from my car and it works (the flashing orange charging light). I thought it might be the adapter. When I reconnect the adapter to the battery pack.

NOTHING

The red LED on the powered mount and on the GPS receiver both work. So it is not the cable, the mount, the adapter, or the plug.

Its the battery pack. I can't understand what could be the problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: