Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW VERSION tomtom RDS TMC reciever out yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of a similar view, and do not beleive that TomTom can continue to sell products that know do not work, I suspect that this is now illegal.

These products should have been withdrawn from sale four months ago.......
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair comment... I can`t argue with you on it because as I`ve said , I haven`t been long on the list... maybe time will sharpen my temper !
rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've found the rds receiver to be totally useless too. Good reception of Classic FM on 101.1 and 101.6 fm, yet the tomtom can't find anything unless I'm stood outside holding the antenna as high in the air as I can,not really practical when driving! First response to my complaint was the usual fob off stuff, check latest software, try manual tuning (what's the point of that when you are driving?!) . Now fired of my second message to them explaining all the tests I have done, waiting for next foboff. I guess if all else fails I can try adding an extra antenna to the thing.

Here's what I sent them

Hi there, thanks for your reply. Having looked into this further I can provide the following update.
1. The tomtom has the latest software.

2. I live in a good reception area for classic fm, I get a strong signal on my RDS radio on 101.1FM and 101.6FM

3. The TomTom RDS receiver cannot automatically find stations when in the car and the receiver cable is laid out correctly.

4. In the same setup, the tomtom cannot find the station when manually entering the 2 frequencies above, which I know provide a good signal.

5. Outside of the car, the tomtom again does not find the stations when the receiver is laid out flat.

6. Outside of the car, if I raise the antenna as high as possible, the tomtom does find the station and download traffic info.

So in summary, even though I live in what appears to be a good reception area for classic fm on both 101.1 and 101.6 FM, the only way in which I can actually get the tomtom to receive traffic updates is to hold the RDS receiver up in the air, outside. Hardly a product that can be described as fit for purpose. I understand that tomtom know about this issue and are re-designing the rds receiver, can you please let me know how I can exchange the flawed receiver which I currently have for one which works when in use for navigating in the car?
Thanks
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenorplayer wrote:
got my first rds/tmc a month or so ago.... didnt work... kept on tuning, told tomtom.... sent back and replaced with new one today... same thing. phoned tomtom support line and was immediately put on list for new device... don`t know when it will come but so far only had helpful responses from TT team... without resorting to aggression.

Join the party of disgruntled tmc waiting list who are not impressed with the so called TT team
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame TomTom won't openly admit to the problem. I've sent in my request to be added to the waiting list for the replacement TMC receiver only to be given the 'cut & paste' response of check this,check that, book it in for repair etc.

I've now replied asking them to pass the request to Level 2 Support and refrain from sending the standard 'cut & paste' replies without looking into the whole TMC receiver problem in the UK.

Seems TomTom customer service (or lack of it) may cause me to pop into their office next time I'm passing - wonder if that would get any better response!!! Stop it!
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been offered the years free subscription but like in my previous post it is no good as I already have a subscription which I do not use because my phone is not compatable with the tomtom 910
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level 2 Support have finally responded and confirmed that the TMC receiver may not operate as expected in the UK. I have been added to the list to receive a new TMC receiver when they finally produce on. i won't be holding me breath waiting for one to arrive soon.

I haven't been offered a free subscription to the Traffic via GPRS YET!!!

Just wondering how long We'll be waiting for a new TMC receiver!!!
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry if this has already been brought up but this time of night I can’t bring myself to troll through all the pages. My concern is about the 720s with the built in receivers. Are they going to work? Or does anyone know if it is a different receiver altogether. Or have I asked a stupid question. Well it is very late, good night all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont find an answer to the x20 question as yet because the device is not available for purchase yet, so don't waste any time searching for information that is simply not there Wink - Mike
rjm2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Not classic fm? Reply with quote

Had a play with the TMC receiver again this weekend and found something strange. I've been lead to believe that it receives from classic fm only, so have tried to auto and manual tune on my local classif fm frequencies of 101.1 and 101.6 fm, with no luck whatsoever. For a brief period on the M62 the thing managed to tune itself into Real Radio which is on something like 106fm, it appeared to download some traffic updates (well, it told me about the queue I was in, though it said there were 0 mins delay). This appears to suggest that it's not just classic fm which it can receive from (although it actually can't receive from classic fm near me).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Not classic fm? Reply with quote

rjm2k wrote:
I've been lead to believe that it receives from classic fm only
iTIS are in the process of expanding their range of radio stations, so in certain areas of the country you may want to expand your search range.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have requested a listing of the new additional stations and frequencies in order to update the RDS-TMC POI file but I am still waiting for the information, any additional stations is a good thing and should increase coverage where implemented - Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I'll send you a PM...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlander wrote:
My concern is about the 720s with the built in receivers. Are they going to work? Or does anyone know if it is a different receiver altogether. Or have I asked a stupid question.
As I read it, the 520 and 720 don't have a built in receiver - they have a built in FM transmitter, for allowing the user to have the sound come out of their stereo via a spare FM channel - the TMC receiver is still a separate device, and hence it should not be an issue which unit they are used with.
iTekweni
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought that I would praise tomtom support but they seem to be trying hard to please first an offer of a free subscirtion which i had to decline due to me already having one and my phone not compatible now I am being offered a regional map as compensation, so they are trying to please which makes me think that TMC is a long ways from being released.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 8 of 30

Jump to: