Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Software for Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Software for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aubrey Martin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best Software for Ireland Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend what software has the best coverage for the Republic of Ireland.

I looked at several reviews for software such as Destinator and Navigator but it is difficult to make your mind up without actually using it.

It will be mainly automotive use but a little Geocashing may be thrown in too!

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Aubrey Martin
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best Software for Ireland Reply with quote

If you can find a dealer that sells the software then go and ask for a demonstration. It's about the only way to judge the merits of the software. I got shown a number of packages and got real examples of places I wanted to go to, and went for Destinator.

The do have a map for the Republic, but the post code search must be interesting.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Sadly the ROI is poorly served and the map coverage is variable at best. If at all possible you would be well advised to find a dealer who can demonstrate the software before passing over your euros!
Ball
Occasional Visitor

I recently came back from a tour of Ireland (both Northern and Southern) where I used Destinator 2.0 with my Pocket PC. I must say I was somewhat unimpressed with the map coverage as soon as I left Dublin. Only the major motor ways are covered in Ireland and VERY few cities actually have street level maps (Dublin and Galway were the only cities that I visited that had street level maps). A lot of towns and cities were not even in the map database, like Dingle, Doolan, etc...let alone the roads that take you there.

So my 2 cents is that if you are staying in Dublin...Destinator is really great...but if you plan to go off the major motorways then Destinator won't do you any good.

Now unfortunately Destinator was actually the only PocketPC based GPS software that I could find that had ANY maps of Ireland. Note that a lot of PocketPC software (including TomTOm) say they cover Ireland...but they really only mean Northern Ireland...so beware.

BTW. The Northern Ireland maps in Destinator had somewhat better coverage.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Ireland and Northern Ireland really needs to be addressed by all of the GPS companies. Strangely this and the Channel Islands really aren't covered properly.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Though Dave and others will be in a better position to comment, I believe that neither NavTech or TeleAtlas (the two main suppliers of digital mapping information, and between them I think are the sole mapping sources for Pocket PC navigation software) have decent coverage of the Republic of Ireland. I think this is what Dave was saying in his post above.

If I'm right, that means there's no worthwhile Pocket PC based street navigation solution for the Republic.

David
bill04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Ireland GPS Map Coverage Reply with quote

What is the best available GPS nav software for coverage in Ireland, has Ireland coverage changed since last postings?

I down loaded the Mapopolis trial ver of Kerry and Sligo Co and all they show are some road networks (the Dingle Peninsula is not shown), no city coverage and very little PI.

CoPilot has a Regional European GPS map of UK and Ireland, (I'm really only interested in Ireland coverage for a June trip to Ireland). Does anyone know if the CoPilot Ireland coverage is detailed and does the Regional GPS UK/Ireland map contain the base software or will I have to buy their US package also?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread.
Ratz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Ireland maps ... Go for Medion Navigator Reply with quote

Just bought a gps for the car and have had a similar problem in finding maps for Northern Ireland and Eire. Prymenav V1 is rubbish, the whole A26 from Belfast to Londonderry does not exist, this is a main route. I purchased Medion Navigator and boy was I impressed. The very avenue that I live is on it. Great N.I. coverage and Eire is just as good. In fact if you are visiting the Isle of Man it is fully mappped with poi's also. I would highly recommend this package.
Ratz
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where abouts in Ireland exactly are you going??

The coverage has been discussed before.
SmartSTv2 has street level coverage for Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway but its pretty sparse in between the cities.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
chanlon1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Ireland maps ... Go for Medion Navigator Reply with quote

Ratz wrote:
Just bought a gps for the car and have had a similar problem in finding maps for Northern Ireland and Eire. Prymenav V1 is rubbish, the whole A26 from Belfast to Londonderry does not exist, this is a main route. I purchased Medion Navigator and boy was I impressed. The very avenue that I live is on it. Great N.I. coverage and Eire is just as good. In fact if you are visiting the Isle of Man it is fully mappped with poi's also. I would highly recommend this package.
Ratz

Ratz, just how good is the coverage in NI? I live in Bangor, Co Down and am looking for a decent Sat Nav PDA, be interested to hear your thoughts on it....pros & cons
rosebery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a taxi driver in belfast and bought a Medion a fortnight agao and i think the coverage is great have used it going to lisburn,bangor,crofersburn,hellens bay,whiteabby,and found every street,i love it.
chanlon1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebery wrote:
i am a taxi driver in belfast and bought a Medion a fortnight agao and i think the coverage is great have used it going to lisburn,bangor,crofersburn,hellens bay,whiteabby,and found every street,i love it.

Being a taxi driver, I trust you need quite an indepth street level layout. Does the Medion do this?

also, where did you buy it from?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: