Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq rx5720 + Bluetooth gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq rx5720 + Bluetooth gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TechnoTony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Ipaq rx5720 + Bluetooth gps Reply with quote

Hi.

Looking for some help with my (wife’s) Ipaq 5720. All seems to be well apart from the very poor gps signal strength when using it in a Vauxhall zafira. I would like to override the built in gps and use a Bluetooth one instead. (I can place this in the back window and get a much better signal). The problem is that on the rx5720 it does not allow you to configure the gps. This setting seems to be locked. I wondered if anyone knows of a way of unlocking this setting. I suspect it may be a tweak to the registry.

Any ideas?

T
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is the same as your model but the rx5935 has a socket for an external antenna, so no config needed.
In addition you can configure GPS settings from Start - Settings - GPS
TechnoTony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett

I think it is a very similar model to yours, and yes, there is a socket for an external antenna. I would still like to use a Bluetooth gps as this would mean less messing about with wires (it’s for my wife, so the easier the better).

With regards to the gps setting in the start menu, it seems that tomtom overrides these settings and will only allow the use of the internal gps. I have successfully paired a Bluetooth gps to the device and tried playing with these setting to no avail. I think the tomtom program locks the gps setting if your device reports having an onboard gps.

I have tried installing a newer version of the tomtom app (6.030) in the hope that the one that came installed might have been a custom one for the device. This did not solve the problem. I have also tried modifying registry settings but have not found the right one yet.

Thanks for you reply

T
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechnoTony wrote:

With regards to the gps setting in the start menu, it seems that tomtom overrides these settings and will only allow the use of the internal gps. I have successfully paired a Bluetooth gps to the device and tried playing with these setting to no avail. I think the tomtom program locks the gps setting if your device reports having an onboard gps.

Seems odd behaviour for TomTom Confused but I haven't tried it on a PDA with internal GPS.

So you have paired a BT GPS with the PDA. Did you create a new outgoing port and assign a COM: number to this?

You should be able to change the GPS settings in TomTom (Change Settings/GPS Status/Configure) to be "Other BT" then select the COM port assigned in the previous step.

I can't see why this shouldn't work.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to ask on the HP forum if this is possible Tony:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?lang=en&cc=uk&prodSeriesId=3263043&admit=-682735245+1184163609476+28353475&prodTypeId=215348&categoryId=273
TechnoTony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at last managed to get it connected to a Bluetooth gps. After playing about with the registry and several hard resets I have found that changing the following makes the Ipaq use Bluetooth rather than the built in gps:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / System / CurrentControlSet / GPS Intermediate Driver / Driver / SiRF STARIII / CommPort

Setting for built in gps is COM1:
Setting for Bluetooth gps is COM5: (the port that the Bluetooth gps connects to)

I still can’t change the gps settings from within tomtom (Change preferences/show gps status/Configure). All I get is the screen that asks how coordinates are displayed. To swap between inbuilt gps and Bluetooth gps means a registry change. I will post on the hp site to see if there is a fix for this.

Thanks for the reply’s

Phil, we’re almost neighbours!

T
TomTom 5/6
emtec bt gps
Qstarz BT-Q810 gps
Qstarz BT-Q818 gps
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TechnoTony wrote:

Phil, we’re almost neighbours!
T

yep - didn't spot your location!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of TomTom software have you got installed on the ipaq, I can certainly use and select a BT GPS on my PDA based units which have an inbuilt receiver 6,030 is the version I have installed - Mike
TechnoTony
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike.

My current version is 6.30. This is the same version i use on my htc Tytn. On the tytn it allows me to change the gps settings as normal, on the rx5720 it does not. I have tried deleting the tomtom config files, fresh installations, multiple registry changes and nothing seems to enable the config settings.

The unit came with version 6.10 installed, upgrading to 6.30 did not fix the problem. The tomtom program is definitely stock version. something somewhere on the unit is disabling the config options.

looking at the hp furums, it seems that other devices with built in gps modules do not have this problem.

Just out of interest, looking at the hp.com website, it appears that hp are providing free map updates for some of there rx5000 customers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3263252&prodTypeId=215348&prodSeriesId=3263043&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2067[/quote]
TomTom 5/6
emtec bt gps
Qstarz BT-Q810 gps
Qstarz BT-Q818 gps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: