Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just bought IPaq 2215 and TomTom Navigator 2 with Bluetooth
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought IPaq 2215 and TomTom Navigator 2 with Bluetooth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikev_co
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Just bought IPaq 2215 and TomTom Navigator 2 with Bluetooth Reply with quote

This is my first post and glad I found this site! Thanks guys for your posts! From my searches and a friends recommendation, I bought this combo. I havent received this yet, however wanted to ask you guys if there is anything else you would recommend to buy? We are taking a trip in a couple weeks, so just want to be prepared.

What memory would you recommend in getting? I'm thinking 512mb should be plenty for the combo, however could get 1gb for 70 dollars more. The 512 however has Ultra II technology and the 1GB does not.

Should I get a backup battery?

Any other accessories I should consider?

I did order the Intelligolf software. It looks like a great application and can't wait to use it!

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd order something like a battery pack extender, just put 4xAA's in it and charge the iPAQ up to 3 times, great for when you're out and don't have any mains.

Other than that, a decent mount system for the car. Memory wise I prefer SD because it then leaves the CF slot free, but SD or CF memory would be fine, the more you can afford the better.
mikev_co
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'd order something like a battery pack extender, just put 4xAA's in it and charge the iPAQ up to 3 times, great for when you're out and don't have any mains.

Other than that, a decent mount system for the car. Memory wise I prefer SD because it then leaves the CF slot free, but SD or CF memory would be fine, the more you can afford the better.

Battery Pack Extender sounds great since we would like to use the Ipod in the cigarette lighter. Does the GPS take juice from the Ipaq or do I need to find a way to keep that running? Can the battery pack extender charge that up too? Do you happen to know how long the battery lasts for the Tomtom receiver?

What could I use the CF slot for?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read elswhere that CF is faster, more reliable and cheaper than it's SD equivalent. see here
But if you need the CF slot for other applications then using SD is the only option.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, basically with cabled GPS's the car charger cable that powers the GPS has a splitter lead coming off this that also charges your Pocket PC at the same time. With a Bluetooth GPS, you need to charge this seperately like you would with a mobile phone. You will have a power cable for the iPAQ though.

Personally, and speaking from experience with 12 in-car power sockets I would just go out and buy a splitter either 2-way or 4-way from something like Maplin or Halfords. These allow you to have more than one car charger lead in at anyone time.

Regarding SD being slower than CF, it's true. CF is still faster, but SD is fine for using GPS Navigation and maps, and it opens you up to a second storage slot so if you wanted to use a CF GPS or a camera then you've got the option there.
mikev_co
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Mike, basically with cabled GPS's the car charger cable that powers the GPS has a splitter lead coming off this that also charges your Pocket PC at the same time. With a Bluetooth GPS, you need to charge this seperately like you would with a mobile phone. You will have a power cable for the iPAQ though.

Personally, and speaking from experience with 12 in-car power sockets I would just go out and buy a splitter either 2-way or 4-way from something like Maplin or Halfords. These allow you to have more than one car charger lead in at anyone time.

Regarding SD being slower than CF, it's true. CF is still faster, but SD is fine for using GPS Navigation and maps, and it opens you up to a second storage slot so if you wanted to use a CF GPS or a camera then you've got the option there.

Great idea, I went to my local Radio Shack and picked up a splitter for the cigarette lighter. I also decided to buy a 512mb SanDisk Ultra II sd card. Found it for $146 from NewEgg. Can't wait to check these gadgets out! Smile Thank you Dave and everyone for your help.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikev_co wrote:
I also decided to buy a 512mb SanDisk Ultra II sd card.

Sandisk are bad news mate. If you have not already bought it it may be better not to!
Did you read this thread ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rest of the team are talking with SanDisk as I type this regarding the compatibility issues SanDisk users face. We should have some more information once we've spoken with SanDisk's technical dept.
Pepperami
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought a 256MB Sandisk SD Card, selling it now Laughing Out Loud

I managed to get a 4 GIGABYTE CF for £160.00 inc delivery, so im a very happy person Smile
mikev_co
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I bought a cf card, not a sd card. I thought it was a sd card, but I clicked on the wrong one right near it... boy did I get lucky! Happy

On a side note...

I couldn't figure out how to insert the cf II card because I thought the top was sealed and only a sd card slot was available. Well I called hp support and he said I should be able to fit it in and he couldn't figure out why. He said I probably got the wrong card and need to get one that is compatible with the 2215. Anyways, I decided to see if I can pull it out and sure enough, I was able to pull it out and it worked. I guess the frustrating thing is that support couldn't figure out this easy problem, not to mention feeling stupid asking the question!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: